I feel like Madame X, having travelled around the world just to get back here.

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
I Love Melvin

I feel like Madame X, having travelled around the world just to get back here.

Post by I Love Melvin »

Hi. Some of you knew me on the TCM boards as DougieB. I gave up trying to register here for quite a while, but this time it worked. So, hello all and I'm looking forward to meeting up with some old acquaintances, and new ones as well. The new name and avatar seemed appropriate to me because DougieB actually applied to me in real life only for a very brief time, but I promise I'm not a wolf in sheep's clothing and I promise to behave, relatively. See you around.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
jimimac71

Re: I feel like Madame X, having travelled around the world just to get back here.

Post by jimimac71 »

Welcome “I Love Melvin.”
TikiSoo

Re: I feel like Madame X, having travelled around the world just to get back here.

Post by TikiSoo »

Hi Melvin - glad DougieB made it over!
I must confess, when someone changes their name/avatar I'm easily confused.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Yeah, I get it, but I'm now using I Love Melvin as my universal user name so I figured I'd just rip off the bandaid right away. (The movie and Donald O'Connor are personal favorites, whereas DougieB was just someone's momentary whim.) There's no stealth involved, just my personal level of comfort. I expect to have to rebuild relationships after all this time so think of me as an entirely new entity if that helps. Call me Dougie if you'd like. You're definitely someone I admire and whose good will matters to me. I know that the proof is in the pudding and that I shouldn't just rely on any former relationships here, so I'll try to be a good citizen and earn my keep.
"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Good to see you here too, I Love Melvin. Some of the users add their former TCM name to their sig.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Welcome, I Love Melvin, good to see you on the bds. Great to have more of the old TCM'ers here.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I Love Melvin wrote: October 25th, 2023, 7:47 am Yeah, I get it, but I'm now using I Love Melvin as my universal user name so I figured I'd just rip off the bandaid right away. (The movie and Donald O'Connor are personal favorites...
I am also fond of DONALD O'CONNOR.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Love Donald O'Connor, he was always a pleasure to watch. Great, great dancer, ttalented actor. He probably didn't get the recognition he deserved
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Welcome! You'll always be DougieB to me! Glad you finally made it here.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I've never seen "I Love Melvin." Sounds like a fine film!
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

jimimac71 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 7:48 pm I've never seen "I Love Melvin." Sounds like a fine film!

Fine is a good word for it because it's probably pretty minor in the MGM canon, but I like the exuberance and modest charm of it, as well as the seemingly meant-to-be chemistry of Donald and Debbie Reynolds. I first saw it on a local TV Sunday matinee type of thing as a much younger person and spent many years before the advent of TCM wanting to see it again, so probably some of the affection I still have for it is based on that longing. I'm not trying to kid anyone that it's the greatest, but it means something to me. Also, as a gay man it gives me a simple way to make an inoffensive statement.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Welcome back, I thought there was already a member with the name I Love Melvin back on the old TCM boards, maybe there was and it was someone else, not you.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 26th, 2023, 1:26 pm Welcome back, I thought there was already a member with the name I Love Melvin back on the old TCM boards, maybe there was and it was someone else, not you.
Thanks, Detective. I was there from 2009 on and don't remember seeing it, but I had my favorite haunts and didn't get everywhere. Anyway, it's nice to be here with refined people like yourself.

EDIT: Oh wait, that was me. I used it under my avatar until they eliminated that line from the profile in an upgrade. I think it was supposed to be for location or something but people started putting all sorts of other signifiers there. Good call.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Welcome! If I recall we discussed a Jane Powell movie on the Musicals section at TCM.
I Love Melvin

Post by I Love Melvin »

Cinemaspeak59 wrote: October 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm Welcome! If I recall we discussed a Jane Powell movie on the Musicals section at TCM.
Oh right. I think it started with Three Sailors and a Girl and then moved on to The Girl Most Likely, Jane's last musical. I've always thought she was one of the best movie sopranos because she had dance and comedy chops too and didn't have to just stand there and sing, like in this great number from Royal Wedding.