February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Discussion of programming on TCM.
cmovieviewer

February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM has posted a partial schedule for February, 2024.
The annual 31 Days of Oscar theme begins on February 9 and runs through March 10.
Prior to February 9 there are miscellaneous programming themes.

Additional details are available at my schedule information page:

http://escapepress.com/tcmsched/tcm_overview.html
speedracer5

Re: February 2024 Schedule Posted, 31 Days of Oscar

Post by speedracer5 »

At least I'll catch up on my DVR during this time. Since there are a finite amount of Oscar nominated/winning films, this is usually a fairly unexciting month for me. I'll have to fill in the loss of Noir Alley with my Noir Alley recordings that I haven't watched yet.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Well, I won't need to watch much.....
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

One of these years, TCM will realize that King of the Zombies (1941) was nominated for Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic Picture (Edward Kay), and show it as part of Oscar month. It's also distinguished by the fact that it features Madame Sul-Te-Wan in the major supporting role of Tahama, Cook and High Priestess. Madame was the first African American to sign a film contract; and Leigh Whipper, the first African American member of Actors Equity and one of the founders of the Negro Actors Guild of America.

Madame Sul-Te-Wan, Leigh Whipper, Marguerite Whitten, Mantan Moreland in King of the Zombies
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I can wait. LOL. Not in any hurry.
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Notorious will air on February 5th at 8:00 pm as part of an evening of Hitchcock films. Looks like the suspected rights issue of the last few years was cleared up.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Some of the above comments sound similar to 2023’s Summer Under The Stars.
“The Best Years of Our Lives” plays twice.
It seems to play every 2 or 3 months.
Now that the 90 Days of Christmas is over on at least 3 channels I watch, there are plenty of my favorite oldies to watch.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

skimpole wrote: January 13th, 2024, 2:01 pm Actually they've updated the premieres. Now they've got The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gosford Park, Adaptation, The Triplets of Belleville, Winged Migration, Far from Heaven, Indochine, Sundays and Cybele, Midnight in Paris
They are really leaning into the early 2000s. That said, I loved Gosford Park and the two pre-2000 films here, Sundays and Cybele and Indochine. Midnight in Paris is a very good late Woody Allen.

I don't get the fuss over Far from Heaven though. It tries so hard to look like a Douglas Sirk film, but it always looks like a fascimile rather than the flawless, seamless 50s look that they were going for.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Wasn't there a special Scorsese special segment where he talks about the movie Harold & Maude? Or is it just a 2 minute intro?
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

kingrat wrote: January 14th, 2024, 12:28 pm Though I found FAR FROM HEAVEN enjoyable, it does always look like a facsimile. "Tastes just like . . . " usually doesn't taste like the original. The Elvis impersonator clearly isn't Elvis.

I think Far From Heaven is more than just a Douglas Sirk facsimile. Tonally and visually (wonderful cinematography by Edward Lachman!) the movie pays homage to those 1950s melodramas, while exploring topics that could have never been explicitly addressed in 1950s American cinema.

Far From Heaven and Angst essen Seele auf (Ali: Fear Eats the Soul) would make a great double feature.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

TikiSoo wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 6:42 am Wasn't there a special Scorsese special segment where he talks about the movie Harold & Maude? Or is it just a 2 minute intro?
Sorry but I’m not aware of an extra or intro where Scorsese comments on Harold and Maude. Perhaps someone else can think of it.

The scheduled showing of Harold and Maude coming up on February 8 goes along with the Power of Film documentary series that evening, so Professor Howard Suber must comment on the film at some point in episode 6.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

cmovieviewer wrote: January 24th, 2024, 2:49 pm The scheduled showing of Harold and Maude coming up on February 8 goes along with the Power of Film documentary series that evening, so Professor Howard Suber must comment on the film at some point in episode 6.
Has anyone been watching the Power of Film series?
I've recorded it but have not watched it yet. From the spattering of comments, sounds like it may be kind of pedestrian. Although I fully enjoy the That's Entertainment movies even though there's nothing in them I haven't seen a zillion times before.

(photo is a joke within my family-first time my teen saw this movie, as Gene Kelly stands still & the camera zooms in, I put my hands in front of my face and cried, "Ack-scary dancer coming in for the kill!" and she mimics that whenever she sees his toothy grin- even in a photo)
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

TikiSoo wrote: January 25th, 2024, 8:02 am
cmovieviewer wrote: January 24th, 2024, 2:49 pm The scheduled showing of Harold and Maude coming up on February 8 goes along with the Power of Film documentary series that evening, so Professor Howard Suber must comment on the film at some point in episode 6.
Has anyone been watching the Power of Film series?
I've recorded it but have not watched it yet. From the spattering of comments, sounds like it may be kind of pedestrian. Although I fully enjoy the That's Entertainment movies even though there's nothing in them I haven't seen a zillion times before.

(photo is a joke within my family-first time my teen saw this movie, as Gene Kelly stands still & the camera zooms in, I put my hands in front of my face and cried, "Ack-scary dancer coming in for the kill!" and she mimics that whenever she sees his toothy grin- even in a photo)
I watched the first episode of "Power of Film." I don't know, maybe I didn't get it? I understand the idea of the series, "why do some films endure when others fade away?" and the idea being that the films that seem to endure are ones that tap into an emotion or human experience or something. But I found it kind of dull? Apparently the man speaking is a major figure in the UCLA Film School. I didn't find him particularly compelling and in fact, I found my mind wandering. I actually started watching a different documentary that I missed, TCM's Moguls and Movie Stars documentary from 2010. That one is very well done and I find it a lot more interesting than "The Power of Film."
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com