TCM Remembers 2023

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

TCM Remembers 2023

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TCM has released its "TCM Remembers 2023" video tribute to film artists and technicians who died this year.
As with these tributes from previous years, the 2023 is underscored with music. The song chosen for this year's tribute was AG and Christina Perri's "Learning to Fly."

I'm always interested to see who is chosen to be featured first in the tribute and who is chosen to be featured last. This year TCM chose to open with Alan Arkin and to close with Harry Belafonte.

Hearing Cindy Williams's voice speaking one of her memorable quotes from AMERICAN GRAFFITTI was especially moving to me and when her face appeared I did get a little teary eyed.

CinemaInternational

Re: TCM Remembers 2023

Post by CinemaInternational »

Looks as though they got all the big ones. TCM does a good job with this almost every year.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 20th, 2023, 2:58 pm TCM has released its "TCM Remembers 2023" video tribute to film artists and technicians who died this year.

Hearing Cindy Williams's voice speaking one of her memorable quotes from AMERICAN GRAFFITTI was especially moving to me and when her face appeared I did get a little teary eyed.
I was at the screening of American Graffiti this April at the TCM Classic Film Festival.
Richard Dreyfuss and Candy Clark attended and talked with Dave Karger before the movie.
The two actors paid tribute to Cindy Williams, who had died just a few months before the film festival.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: December 22nd, 2023, 4:33 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: December 20th, 2023, 2:58 pm TCM has released its "TCM Remembers 2023" video tribute to film artists and technicians who died this year.

I was at the screening of American Graffiti this April at the TCM Classic Film Festival.
Richard Dreyfuss and Candy Clark attended and talked with Dave Karger before the movie.
The two actors paid tribute to Cindy Williams, who had died just a few months before the film festival.
I had wanted to attend the 2023 TCM Film Festival, but I already had a pricey vacation later in the year in the works so I couldn't make the festival happen.
AMERICAN GRAFITTI was one of the movies I wanted to see ---- great story, compelling performances, great soundtrack.
I also would have loved to have seen James Dean on the "big screen" in EAST OF EDEN and to have been at the screening of THE EXORCIST with William Friedkin in attendance.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Back in 2016 (can't believe it was that long ago) I attended a screening of 'American Graffiti' during the Sedona International Film Festival. Cindy along with Candy Clark, Mackenzie Phillips and Lynne Marie Stewart (who played Bobbie, the driver of the VW Beetle that Dreyfuss jumps into at one point in the film) held a Q&A session afterward.

(...one other quick note here...whenever I watch Novak Djokovic playing tennis, I can not stop thinking how much he looks like an actor who passed this year...Barry Newman, who was given a line in this year's TCM Remembers video, btw)
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Barry Newman had hair like a Brillo pad?
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

I actually purchased a '71 Dodge Challenger before seeing Barry Newman in Vanishing Point.. Drove it to see the movie without knowing the Challenger would be in the movie.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 30th, 2023, 3:30 pm

I had wanted to attend the 2023 TCM Film Festival, but I already had a pricey vacation later in the year in the works so I couldn't make the festival happen.
AMERICAN GRAFITTI was one of the movies I wanted to see ---- great story, compelling performances, great soundtrack.
I also would have loved to have seen James Dean on the "big screen" in EAST OF EDEN and to have been at the screening of THE EXORCIST with William Friedkin in attendance.
I was at the screening of East Of Eden (introduced by Mario Cantone and Eddie Muller) and The Exorcist (with William Friedkin speaking at the end of the movie).

After William Friedkin's interview at the Chinese Theatre we had to scramble to make it to the Hollywood Legion Theater for the screening of Enter The Dragon.