Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Swithin

Rex Evans

Post by Swithin »

Rex Evans

"Tonight we toast our happy host
faro la faro li,
For he's the man we love the most
faro la faro li." -- "Festival of the New Wine" - Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman

The happy host -- Vazec -- is played by Rex Evans (1903-1969), perhaps not one of the better-known characters actors, but one who has graced many movies with his presence. A friend of George Cukor, he played small parts in ten of Cukor's films. When someone pointed to Evans and asked the director what part he was playing, Cukor replied "He's playing the part of a friend who needs a job."

With Lon Chaney Jr. and Maria Ouspenskaya in Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man

One of my favorite Broadway cast albums is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, which I much prefer to the movie adaptation. As Sir Francis Beekman in the original cast, Evans sings a duet with Carol Channing. He has a very pleasant voice.

txfilmfan

Re: Rex Evans

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 11:10 pm Image
Rex Evans

"Tonight we toast our happy host
faro la faro li,
For he's the man we love the most
faro la faro li." -- "Festival of the New Wine" - Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman

The happy host -- Vazec -- is played by Rex Evans (1903-1969), perhaps not one of the better-known characters actors, but one who has graced many movies with his presence. A friend of George Cukor, he played small parts in ten of Cukor's films. When someone pointed to Evans and asked the director what part he was playing, Cukor replied "He's playing the part of a friend who needs a job."

With Lon Chaney Jr. and Maria Ouspenskaya in Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man

One of my favorite Broadway cast albums is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, which I much prefer to the movie adaptation. As Sir Francis Beekman in the original cast, Evans sings a duet with Carol Channing. He has a very pleasant voice.

First time I heard this song years ago, I thought it was Hans Conried.