WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
CineMaven

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

Wonderfully written Wendy. You've made me pay attention to the charms of Joseph Calleia. He's a smart actor. But I think a lot of those character actors had more life to them than many of today's leading men and women. Calleia, does a lot with very little. And hell, he was a working actor. And isn't that what actors want?
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

But I think a lot of those character actors had more life to them than many of today's leading men and women. Calleia, does a lot with very little.
Isn't that funny?

It does seem to me that some of the best character actors in classic films have more complexity, more going on in their single scene than many modern actors have in a whole movie. Do you think acting (in general) has gotten simpler over the years?
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

is it the actors, or the writing? If there IS no fleshing out by the writer, what is the actor supposed to do? just askin'...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't know! Simpler writing now seems like it could be a factor. The lack of many supporting roles in modern films has been noted here before, maybe there just aren't very many opportunities for someone to shine in a fleshed out supporting role, over and over again. Fewer films are made.

I was thinking it might be the studio system, Nan, where actors learned over the course of years how to act for the camera. Nowadays, the younger leads rarely have much experience, though someone like George Clooney has been around for long enough to pick up tricks. Still, even he seems simple compared to some classic film actors.

Another thought I have is that the difference lies in the rise of naturalism in acting in the U.S. We strive for only the most realistic acting nowadays. Someone like Meryl Streep seems infinitely more fascinating to me than a Clooney, but she was trained in a slightly different way, incorporating different styles into her acting. Maybe this is why there always seem to be Brits at the Academy Awards lately.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]KNITWIT45[/u] wrote:is it the actors, or the writing? If there IS no fleshing out by the writer, what is the actor supposed to do? just askin'...
All starts with the writing. If the writing is poor, a Laurence Olivier or James Mason can't save the script. All those 1940's-"B" programmers weren't written by geniuses. But by the strength of their personalities, some actors could still pull out a great performance.
[u]JACK FAVELL[/u] wrote:Another thought I have is that the difference lies in the rise of naturalism in acting in the U.S. We strive for only the most realistic acting nowadays. Someone like Meryl Streep seems infinitely more fascinating to me than a Clooney, but she was trained in a slightly different way, incorporating different styles into her acting. Maybe this is why there always seem to be Brits at the Academy Awards lately.
Do we have the 70's to thank for that? There's a difference between naturalism and realism, right? (Just askin'). You asked KingRat to name his favorite films from the 70's. I know the triumvirate of Monty and Jimmy and Brando changed the acting style from the Golden Age of Hollywood to something modern-day (though I think Spence, Mitchum and Robbie Ryan could keep up with the changes). I've got to look it up, but did Clooney have any formal acting training? (Are you counting "The Facts of Life"? and would Clooney take Natalie and Tootie's phone call?) In the 70's with DeNiro and Keitel and Pacino things changed up again.

I think I'm all jumbled around here, distracted by my tv set...but what I'm trying to say is one must start with a good script. But an imaginative actor can pull something out of his/her hat. I saw an amazing performance by actress Amy Ryan in "Gone Baby Gone." And then a few months later, I couldn't believe it was the same actress who was in "Dan In Real Life." A chameleon.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I know people who do not like DOG DAY AFTERNOON. That's like not liking steak! Or money. This is an amazing movie. I love Martin Sheen's character in BADLANDS. Maybe love is the wrong word! I find him fascinating. I think I have vague memories of the true story this was based on. My favorite 70's film is ANNIE HALL. It would have to be. It's one of my favorite movies, period.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Great choices, guys! kingrat, the top two on your list are my top two, changing places with Harold and Maude depending on which I've seen most recently.

Annie Hall is a brilliant film, Red, I finally saw it again a few years ago and found it to be much better than I remembered. I was too young to get it when it first came out. It is a great depiction of the breakdown of a relationship, and the regrets that can spark your memory. It's actually rather painful to watch by the end.

SO here is my list (in order):

Dog Day Afternoon
Harold and Maude
The Man Who Would Be King
Paper Moon
What's Up Doc
The Bad News Bears
Breaking Away
Richard Lester's Musketeers movies
Nashville
Last Picture Show
All the President's Men
Little Big Man
Days of Heaven
Badlands
- I simply cannot resist a good voiceover
Serpico
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Annie Hall ...is a great depiction of the breakdown of a relationship, and the regrets that can spark your memory. It's actually rather painful to watch by the end.

Very much so. Like Chaplin and Billy Wilder, Woody Allen's best comedies are as sad as they are funny. Not unlike life.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Just got back from seeing The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. This is an incredible movie, so full of the sights and sounds of a country I've never been too interested in seeing, India. I'm now thinking of buying an airline ticket! If Dames Maggie Smith and Judi Dench were there to welcome me....I'd be there in a heartbeat. Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Celia Emrie, Penelope Wilton....an all star cast in a really good movie. Maybe it's because the story is one to which I can truly relate, and maybe a younger audience wouldn't enjoy it as much, but I truly recommend this one.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm going tonight, Nan! I can't wait!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

just read a couple of reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, some of the younger critics sniffed at it, others (probably of 'a certain age' ) loved it. I hope you enjoy it, even if you aren't of that certain age.....yet........
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Oh, boy! Lists!

My favorite 10 from the Seventies (until someone points out the obvious ones I've missed). In kinda order:

The Godfather
Killer of Sheep
The Conversation
Wanda
Dog Day Afternoon
Husbands
Play It Again, Sam
All That Jazz
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Last Tango in Paris
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm not sure if this should go here, but yesterday I watched a documentary about Edgar G. Ulmer. "The Man Behind the Screen" or "A Life of Forgotten Sins" (both titles were on the disc.)

It was okay. It paid the most attention to "The Black Cat," "Detour" and "The Man from Planet X," which is probably right. However, there was a lot of bloviating about how B movies are actually the best movies because they are flawed and how it was easy for John Ford to make great movies with the resources of a major studio behind him, blah, blah.

However, there was a conversation between Joe Dante and John Landis. I have never really liked Landis' films, but here he struck me as an articulate, level-headed and likeable person. (He was not the guy comparing Ulmer and Ford. Neither was Dante.) When he talked about directors being in "movie jail" (ostracized) I knew he was speaking about his experience. I don't know the details about what happened while filming the "Twilight Zone" movie, but I have to say I did feel a little sympathy for Landis during this film.