Cross Reference

Having problems? Get help here.
Moraldo Rubini

Cross Reference

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I've figured out how to refer to another thread (by copying the URL), but do you know how to fer to a specific post within a thread? Over at TCM, I'd search for the post, and that'd give me the correct URL. But if we search a topic in the Oasis, it'll only direct us to the correct thred, not the specific post.

Any ideas? Did this make any sense?
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

It's easier than having to search. Above each post, it will say something like

Posted: 16 Aug 2007 07:27 pm Post subject: Cross Reference

Just to the left of that is an icon that looks like a tiny piece of paper. Click that, and the post URL will apear in the navigation bar (where your URL shows up). Or, you can right click the icon and copy the URL to the clipboard.

If this isn't clear enough, tell me and I'll try to explain it better.
Moraldo Rubini

Thank you fearless leader!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Fantastic! Thank you so much. That's great. Now I can annoy everyone by constantly referring to every other post. :wink: I'm most impressed that you even could discern what I was talking about! Bravo!
Rita Hayworth

Re: Cross Reference

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Dear Admistrators/Moderators,

I would very much like to do this:

Is to learn how to do cross-reference - I have seen experienced posters like Moira, Lzcutter, Klondike, and others posting throughout this site with words like "here" underlined that allows any members to click on this to go another thread in a "blink in an eye" without having do a lot of typing in your post.

This same goes to going to the internet of sites that's okay to link from (hot-linking is forbidden here) that's permissible on this forum.

Can anyone here can write up a step-by-step (detailed) instructions of how to do it?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'll give it a try, king. For demonstration purposes, I am going to show you this with spaces between the bracketed code you would use, though you would not have any spaces in a hyperlink when posting it here. Say that you want to refer to something written in another thread or on another website. If you wanted to write:

Rita Hayworth worked with director Rouben Mamoulian only once in Blood and Sand (1941)

And you wanted to link the words, Rouben Mamoulian to the director's biography on IMDb found at this web address:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0541149/bio

To make this appear as a hyperlink (the underlined words linking to another site) you would highlight the director's name in that sentence by putting your cursor on Rouben Mamoulian and swiping it. Then, you would click on the URL button above your message box that appears between the button marked Img and the one marked Flash. You would then see this (without the spaces I am adding to make it visible here. There would be no spaces in the real message):

Rouben Mamoulian

Then you would copy the IMDb address showing the director's bio and paste it inside the first bracketed url like this:
Rouben Mamoulian[ /url ]

When you posted this without the spaces that I have inserted, your sentence would then read this way:

Rita Hayworth worked with director [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0541149/bio]Rouben Mamoulian
only once in Blood and Sand (1941)

You could do the same with any link you wanted to reference here on the SSO too.

I hope this helps and isn't too confusingly explained and I apologize if you find this unclear. (I think it is too hot to think right now, but I'll try again if needed.)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
To make this appear as a hyperlink (the underlined words linking to another site) you would highlight the director's name in that sentence by putting your cursor on Rouben Mamoulian and swiping it. Then, you would click on the URL button above your message box that appears between the button marked Img and the one marked Flash. You would then see this (without the spaces I am adding to make it visible here. There would be no spaces in the real message):

Rouben Mamoulian
Moira,

I just can't do this because my flash is OFF period. I just don't know how to turn it ON here.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi King,
You should be able to download and install a free Flash Player found here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

kingme,
don't feel too frustrated...my adobe flash goes kaput now and then, too, for no reason. if you download it again from the link moira provided you should be all set. adobe flash and "java" are my two bete noirs. they are constantly telling me to "update" even when it seems like i just did. ah, modern life!

moira, thank you for spelling it out how to create a text hyper-link thingie. I never knew how to do it here before, and it's much neater looking that way.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

That's odd, MIss G. I always assumed that Mac computers had fewer problems with Flash and Java than plain old PCers like me. I guess nothing is perfect. I hope that the description of how to made an embedded reference as a hyperlink helps.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I should clarify that I have these problems on my laptop and work computers...both PC/Windows. I only have problems on the Mac with Adobe at Photobucket.com. But then, I have problems galore with Photobucket in general. Talk about buggy! I just downloaded about 800 images for a website I'm making from my Photobucket accounts to my hard drive and I think PB crashed only about fifteen times, each time due to some Adobe error.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I should clarify that I have these problems on my laptop and work computers...both PC/Windows. I only have problems on the Mac with Adobe at Photobucket.com. But then, I have problems galore with Photobucket in general. Talk about buggy! I just downloaded about 800 images for a website I'm making from my Photobucket accounts to my hard drive and I think PB crashed only about fifteen times, each time due to some Adobe error.
I don't like the new "upgrades" they have recently added to Photobucket (i.e. the popup box that appears every time you edit an image that asks if you want to share your image on social media! I have yet to find a way to turn that *%@# annoyance off). At the same time, I do appreciate that they have recently expanded the number of images a person can upload now, which is now virtually limitless.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Moira & Ms. G.
I was confused (nothing new! :oops: ) about a "flash" button. My post a reply page has B, i, u, Quote, Code, List, List=, [*], Img, URL, Font size, Font color, youtube.

No flash. I just downloaded and installed the flash from Moira's link. Still no flash. And while we're at it, could you give a short version of what code, list, list=, FLASH and [*] are all about?

I use youtube and img, but the others are a mystery. If there are already posts concerning those buttons, send me there! Thanks, oh Great internet guru!!! :lol: :lol:

she who is clueless... :?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Nancy, can you see YouTube videos, do they play alright for you? If you can, then that means your Flash program is working. It's a software, no buttons.
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Yes, but I thought Moira mentioned a 'flash' button between Img and URL on the 'post a reply' page. (And thanks, Ms. G.) hope you are having a great 4th!! :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Yes, but I thought Moira mentioned a 'flash' button between Img and URL on the 'post a reply' page. (And thanks, Ms. G.) hope you are having a great 4th!! :D
I've never used the Flash button on the SSO that Jon enabled on our site, but as I understand it, the phpBB code for that button willl allow you to display flash file web addresses within your post. I only mentioned it because the URL button is placed between the Img button and the Flash button. I am sorry if I caused any unnecessary confusion.
knitwit45 wrote:No flash. I just downloaded and installed the flash from Moira's link. Still no flash.
Knitty, do you have a Mac or a PC? You may need to restart your computer to enable the flash player.

If you have a PC, you might want to see this page with troubleshooting info:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

If you have a Mac, you might want to see this page with troubleshooting info:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#ostype=w,
knitwit45 wrote:And while we're at it, could you give a short version of what code, list, list=, FLASH and [*] are all about?
This might be of help. If you go to the page linked below you can click on each item and the site gives you a step by step rationale for that particular phpBBcode button, which I hope helps a bit. (FYI: Not all these phpBB code buttons described at the link below are usable here on the SSO):

http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

As Miss G. mentioned, the Flash Player I was referring to earlier is free software. If you still have trouble making it work after checking out the above info, I'll try to figure out another way to describe what needs to be done. Btw, when my Flash Player crashes it is usually a sign that it is time to update my software, clean out my cache, recycle bin, history and temp files, close a few windows (I tend to have too many open all the time!) and quit trying to do five things at once! :oops:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks