Cross Reference

Having problems? Get help here.
knitwit45

Re: Cross Reference

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Moira, I'm headed over to the link you posted. I guess I didn't make myself clear. There is no 'flash' button on my post a reply page. I thought if I downloaded the software (which I did) then the flash button would appear, but it didn't. That's ok, I've been merrily posting away for 4 years now, and hopefully will for a long time to come! Thanks again for the link to the 'crash course', it's never too late to learn something new.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

wow, what a wealth of info. (shame we couldn't have the 'spoiler' buttons, that way we could read a review without danger of finding out 'whodunit'. :lol: )
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Moira, Miss G, and Knitty,

I read and re-read all of your posts regarding this topic matter.

However, I can't have Adobe Flash Player on my PC because in the past 14 weeks my Internet Provider been constantly been bombarded with hackers corrupting the Flash Player code and when I was gone to Vancouver B.C. for three days; my nephew found 14 viruses (hidden and dormant) awaiting for others to complete its cycle allowing my PC to be corrupted beyond repair. I caught it in the nick of time and several other friends and family members had it too. Our Internet Provider told us to wipe your PC clean and remove Mozilla Firefox for good and prepare to install Mozilla Firefox Version 5 when we are supposed to.

My Internet Provider to us that Adobe Flash Player can only to be work together with Firefox and because of that all (over 100,000 computer users) customers/users had the same thing that as soon I upgraded from Mozilla Firefox Version 3 to Version 4 ... that is when the problem started.

Every Thursday - I get an upgrade notice to Adobe Flash Player for 14 consecutive weeks; so I sense something fishy and rotten here. I took my PC to my nephew and he discovered 14 viruses and he wiped them out. In order to do so, he had to revert my PC back to where it was when I first got it. He has an external PC drive (has my info) and wipe clean of all viruses on my PC and several others new ones as well.

I had three Internet Components on my PC at one time (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome) ... right now I only have Google Chrome on my machine and according to our Internet Provider its does not accept Adobe Flash Player because its incompatible to use. We were told that over the phone from a dear friend that works there.

Note: I hate Internet Explorer and Bing Search Engine

Right Now, my nephew is waiting to hear from his friend to see whether its safe to download Mozilla Firefox Version 5 - so that I can use Adobe Flash Player every time I use FIREFOX. In the past I always use FIREFOX to log on to Silver Screen Oasis because it is faster to upload my pictures for the RIta Hayworth - Love Goddess thread. Now, I have to use Google Chrome Instead and its taking me another 3-5 seconds wait for the message ... You have Posted Successfully on this thread.

I maybe rambling (its permissible here) a little bit ... I was having some PC issues myself and therefore I can't use that feature that Moira explained to me the other day. I wanted to thank all three of you (Moira, Miss Goddess, and Knitty) for your input on this matter - Especially You Moira for your detailed instructions of how to do it.

Your Truly, Kingme.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Note: I hate Internet Explorer and Bing Search Engine
Me too, Kingme. I am sorry you have had such a hard time lately. It occurred to me that one trustworthy spot I've found for info on what is okay or compatible software for many uses has consistently been Cnet. There are tech people there who can write in English for those of us who are trying to keep abreast of the changes online and their explanations of software apps has been pretty evenhanded, at least that is my impression. Maybe you would like to check it out sometime?

What is your overall impression of Google Chrome?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
What is your overall impression of Google Chrome?
Not too bad, its allows you to clone your internet as often you want as long you can keep it functionally working in sync. I use it for research for movies, local & regional news, international news, getting my facts straight on Rita, and just about anything you want on.

It's has more options to choose from and you can bookmark thing easier ... It's has three options ... I like two out of three and its has better clearing options (to clear web history & cache) easier to have your password saved on a particular web site ... I don't do that ... because I do not want anyone hacking in Silver Screen Oasis without my permission.

But, its has faster downloads ... but the uploads is slower because its has a great feature so that this site and all other sites in the world wide web to check for viruses so that this site can be virus free. So, I decided to use Chrome from now on to upload pictures (its maybe a second or two longer) but, its safer and Google Chrome has a software (another anti-virus) embedded in its code that constantly updating to keep your PC and others (uploading images) safe and secure.

This what my nephew said to me. He recommended that I upload all my pictures using Chrome.

With Mozilla Firefox ... I get an average of 20-30 updates a week because of computer hackers wrecking its code.

With Chrome ... its down to 1-3 every month so its has a 2nd firewall for your own protection. Less fuss and less worry.

If I do ever get a chance to use Mozilla Firefox again. I will use it for replying with that dandy feature you share with us Moira, however ... I can't because of the darn hackers that keeps on invading our internet provider.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hey, more problems are emerging with Firefox 5.0, the newest roll-out of the browser. After updating to this new level and updating my FlashPlayer as well, I found that I could no longer view any videos online.

Lo and behold, there are a multitude of others having this same problem, as you can see here as others report issues they are encountering. Taking the advice posted by a Firefox person, I uninstalled my FlashPlayer and Firefox 5.0 and then re-installed the recommended Firefox 3.6.18 (Mozilla/3.6.18Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.18) Gecko/20110614 Firefox/3.6.18), which is supposed to be one of the most secure and less quirky versions of the browser.

I also ran The Security Tango to make sure there aren't any other issues re: viruses, bots, etc.

I've now re-installed the new version of Flashplayer and logged out of Firefox. After restarting Firefox in this older version of the browser, online videos are fine. If I wanted screens to freeze and videos to not appear, I would have stuck with the unreliable and annoying IE a long time ago.

Firefox used to be great, user friendly and relatively stable. Now that they are trying to roll out updates every 3 months, they seem to be having more bugs. I wish that they would leave well enough alone, but I thought that Kingme might feel better if he knew he wasn't alone in these problems. Knitty, perhaps some of my issues are similar to what you have described?

I'll stop whining now!! :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing this tibit of information, Moira!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I had all kinds of problems with Firefox 4, uninstalled it and went back to 3. I have updated to 3.6.18, it seems to work fine. I downloaded RealPlayer and love it (so far). I can download youtube clips (those that are available) and have watched
The Captive Heart (cue groans of "not that one again...she's relentless!')

Moira, do you have a FLASH button on your screen when posting replies? That was my initial question, I have no problem watching clips or posting them here. I was just curious as to the reference about a 'flash button'.

Some of the bigger photos posted are cut off on the left side, but that happens rarely.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

knitwit45 wrote:Moira, do you have a FLASH button on your screen when posting replies? That was my initial question, I have no problem watching clips or posting them here. I was just curious as to the reference about a 'flash button'.
Yes. I have always had the Flash button there when posting, even after I updated to Firefox 5.0 and couldn't look at any videos because of whatever the issue is with the updated Flash Player and this new browser Mozilla has now. I'm glad that we alerted one another about these problems, but now that I have Firefox 3.6.18 working fine, I'm crossing my fingers that the weird glitches are behind us.

I like the Real Player for downloading too, though I started to store videos I want to keep for later in a separate flash drive (movies take up a lot of room) or record them on disc after converting the FLV to WMV files.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

moirafinnie wrote:
knitwit45 wrote:Moira, do you have a FLASH button on your screen when posting replies? That was my initial question, I have no problem watching clips or posting them here. I was just curious as to the reference about a 'flash button'.
Yes. I have always had the Flash button there when posting, even after I updated to Firefox 5.0 and couldn't look at any videos because of whatever the issue is with the updated Flash Player and this new browser Mozilla has now. I'm glad that we alerted one another about these problems, but now that I have Firefox 3.6.18 working fine, I'm crossing my fingers that the weird glitches are behind us.

I like the Real Player for downloading too, though I started to store videos I want to keep for later in a separate flash drive (movies take up a lot of room) or record them on disc after converting the FLV to WMV files.
My nephew got a hold of his friend (our Internet Provider) and they are suspending upgrades to both Firefox 4 and 5 indefinitely & they are providing us with Firefox 3.6.18 for free with the Abode Flash Player built in that's compatible with my operating system after they fix all the "weird glitches" (a phrase borrowed from Moira) that over 100,000 users were affected by it. It will be a month or two before I get it from our Internet Provider.

I got hit by a virus today and my new virus detection - an new improved Microsoft Security Essentials plus AVG Free Antivirus that caught it immediately; so my nephew managed to "tweak" the AVG Free Antivirus so that every time I attempt to open a web site ... its checks for virus (including dormat ones) and tells me (instantly) to avoid it by a warning message do not enter & its allows to you to back away safely with no problems at all. He even personalized with a message in bolder fonts telling you to get out of there immediately.

My nephew told me to modify (Microsoft Security Essentials) to do a quick scan every single day at 4am in the morning & and he also told me to run a full scan (took 90 minutes) every week (manually) to make sure that there is no virus (both active and inactive ones) lurking in your PC. I'm doing that every Sunday Night when I watch 60 minutes on CBS.

My advice to all of you ... get the best anti-virus software you can get ... without your PC you can't enjoy reading all the wonderful threads on this forum on a daily basis. I learned something new every single day here and I frankly can't get enough of it.

I think I said enough ... This becoming a quite a thread in the past few days! And, educational too!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

I would like to request -- if it is possible -- that cross-reference links open in a new tab or new window.

Currently, when someone clicks a hyperlink, The Silver Screen Oasis is replaced by the destination of the link. IMO, viewers and members should not be whisked away from a topic or from the SSO entirely.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

There is a possible solution to this, EP. When I get a chance I will try to get it done. Meanwhile, the easiest temporary solution would be to middle-click to automatically open a new tab, or right-click then choose open in new tab from the menu. If you're on a tablet or phone, you'd have to long-press I think.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Lomm wrote: November 28th, 2022, 10:21 am There is a possible solution to this, EP. When I get a chance I will try to get it done. Meanwhile, the easiest temporary solution would be to middle-click to automatically open a new tab, or right-click then choose open in new tab from the menu. If you're on a tablet or phone, you'd have to long-press I think.
Lomm,

Thank you for your response and for the helpful tips.

I realize that SSO developers and architects use BBCode instead of HTML. I suspect that BBCode has an equivalent of the target attribute and similar blank value that can be assigned to target, e.g.:

target="_blank"

FYI to readers of this topic who have Apple computers, pressing the control key and clicking a hyperlink opens a popup menu. In the menu, select either Open Link in New Tab or Open Link in New Window.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

If you use bbcode to put in a link (URL=) it will also open in a new window without any modifications too. However, I have installed an extension that should work. Testing here:

https://www.amazon.com/
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

...and it seems to work! Let me know if any problems on your end. Otherwise, I think all is good now.