Jacques Tourneur's NIGHTFALL (1957) Fri Sept 14th

Dewey1960

Jacques Tourneur's NIGHTFALL (1957) Fri Sept 14th

Post by Dewey1960 »

A major heads up for one of the most anxiously anticipated (be me) TCM premieres of the year: the spellbinding 1957 film noir NIGHTFALL. Based on a novel by David Goodis ("Dark Passage," "Shoot The Piano Player," etc) the film stars Aldo Ray, Anne Bancroft, Brian Keith, James Gregory and Rudy Bond. TCM airs it on Friday, September 14.

Stylishly directed by Jacques Tourneur (OUT OF THE PAST) the film tells of the plight of an innocent man plunged into a nightmarish scenario when he becomes the object of pursuit by both the cops and a pair of sadistic killers over the whereabouts of a cache of stolen money. Tourneur, through the clever weaving of flashbacks, unfolds the story in a most dazzling fashion, never letting the tension ease for a moment.

Literally a near-forgotten film, NIGHTFALL has never been available on home video. Those fortunate to have caught the film back in the mid-90s when it played San Francisco's Roxie Cinema in one of their groundbraking film noir festivals, became diehard fans overnight. Its appearance on TCM gives ample reason for rejoicing among true noir fans.

Those familiar with the dark and despairing novels of David Goodis will no doubt be drawn into the dire world of NIGHTFALL's protagonist, Jim Vanning (Aldo Ray). Ray's compelling portrait of a tough man on the brink of utter desperation (a common thread in Goodis' fiction) is a revelation--as honest a depiction of a tortured hero as 1950s American cinema has provided, underscoring the fact that Aldo Ray remains one of our most interesting and least appreciated actors. The gorgeous Anne Bancroft (in an early starring role) adds considerable spice as a mysterious woman who unexpectedly stumbles into Ray's world. Brian Keith and Rudy Bond score big as the heavies, etching incredibly memorable performances. Bond is especially impressive; a giggling sadist capable of unspeakable violence without the slightest provocation. James Gregory (the unctious and corrupt Senator Iselin from "The Manchurian Candidate") represents the right side of the law. The grounded contrast he provides lends an air of unusual realism to an otherwise (gloriously) far-fetched story. The wonderful rhythm & blues singer Al Hibbler (he was the first to popularize "Unchained Melody" in the 50s) croons the title tune; a haunting melody that drives the film along.

Tourneur directed only a handful of noir films (OUT OF THE PAST and THE LEOPARD MAN chief among them); NIGHTFALL, while not necessarily the equal of OUT OF THE PAST shares many of that film's virtues while carving it's own unique path. One of my personal all-time favorites, I can't recommend this film highly enough: 5 BIG STARS on the Dewey-Meter.
Last edited by Dewey1960 on September 5th, 2007, 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks for the heads up Dewey. I'd already planned on recording as it was Tourneur, but it's nice to know it's a good one!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yes, thank you, Dewey, for letting us know about it. I hope to catch it or record it. I like Aldo Ray and I love Brian Keith. It should be interesting.
benwhowell

Lost treasures...

Post by benwhowell »

Thanks, Dewey...I always look forward to Jacques Torneur. I see that Stirling Silliphant adapted the screenplay. I've always been impressed by his adaptations...from "Village Of The Damned" to "In The Heat Of The Night" and many, many more.
A big fan of (the underated) James Gregory. I recently saw him in an episode of Bonanza and playing Elvis Presley's father in "Clambake."
I love Anne Bancroft and never see enough of her "ingenue" roles.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I enjoyed James Gregory, too. He was great fun as Inspector Luger on Barney Miller. His wife sang with The Chordettes and I have some piano sheet music from the 50's with one of their songs.

I've never seen Nightfall and am looking forward to it.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Thanks for the heads up i'll definitely have to give this movie a shot.
Dewey1960

Jacques Tourneur

Post by Dewey1960 »

Jacques Tourneur (courtesy of the Trailer Park):

THE CAT PEOPLE (1942)
[youtube][/youtube]

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943)
[youtube][/youtube]

THE LEOPARD MAN (1943)
[youtube][/youtube]

OUT OF THE PAST (1947)
[youtube][/youtube]
vallo

Post by vallo »

According to Moira, "On the other site"
To honor Jane Wyman, TCM has announced that on Friday, September 14th. She will be remembered..

So, All films and Nightfall (1956) will be removed from the schedule.
A list of the films are on the TCM General Discussion area of this site.

Well she deserves it....

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Yes she deserves it but I was looking forward to Nightfall. Oh well hopefully it's scheduled again sometime soon.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

There is a thread at TCM in the General Discussion section where everyone can sign on and say they would like to see Nightfall rescheduled.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Thanks i'll go and post in it.
vallo

Post by vallo »

According to the TCMprogrammer (on the other site)
Nightfall is to be rescheduled sometime in January. Lets hope so...

vallo
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster