Music for Silents

movieman1957
Administrator

Music for Silents

Post by movieman1957 »

I rented a Harold LLoyd DVD and as part of it there was a short documentary about writing music for silent films. Robert Israel and Carl Davis were discussing their techniques.

I first noticed Davis back when I watched "The World At War" back in the 70s. He is a most prolific and gifted composer. Israel looks like he was in his middle 30's. It is most interesting to watch them work and how they put things together. Davis tells a great story about a percusionist going out to find the right kind of paper bag for a sound effect.

I know somewhere on TCM there has been a discussion about music for silent films (mainly on Keaton's movies) so I thougt I'd try here.

Any favorites?

Should we start a thread somewhere about movie music in general? If so, where?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
feaito

Post by feaito »

Good topic Movieman!

My acquaintance with Silents is relatively recent; they are an acquired taste and I definitely want to see more.

One of the veery first Silents I watched was "Greed" (not the newly restored version by TCM) and it had no score! I began watching it and after a while I decided to play a CD of Classical musical in my stereo (It was a Baroque composer...was it Geminiani?) and that made all the difference, in spite that the music obviously didn't match the action of the film. As mere background music it was great!

I remember fondly "Evangeline", which had portions with a new score and others with what remains of the original score. I must say that I liked better the new score.

"The Patsy", "La Boheme", "The Scarlet Letter", "The Show" and "The Temptress" are other films with good scores which I recall.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I can't say as I'm super-knowledgeable on this topic, because while I generally like the music in silents, I don't pay that close attention to many individual composers or anything.

Obviously I know who Robert Israel and Carl Davis are...and I especially like Robert Israel. And I also know that I like the music in Chaplin's films - much of which he wrote himself, I believe.

But other than that, I don't have any particular favorites or anything. I guess I am so busy watching and reading that I don't pay very close attention, except if the music is that modern crap that doesn't fit very well. :P But if it fits and I like it, I must admit that I often take it for granted.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I love Carl Davis. Seeing that he scored a movie is enough to sell me right there. He's not only an excellent composer, but he truly understands silent film. Robert Israel is very good.

Jon Mirsalis is also good, even though he and I used to scrap a bit on alt.movies.silent. Mike Mortilla is a jerk, and I'm not really fond of his compositions either.

Alloy Orchestra is the most controversial. I think their scores work really well in some contexts, and are unlistenable in others. I love their score for Eisenstein's "Strike." It fits the movie beautifully. Their Keaton scores are atrocious though.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Jon:

I'm not familiar with the two men you named. Did you meet them on the board or do you know them personally?

I was struck by how young Israel is. He couldn't have been much more than his mid-30s. I was struck by how much he seems to understand what is needed. Obviously his proof is in his fine work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
radiotelefonia

Post by radiotelefonia »

melwalton

movie music

Post by melwalton »

movie music in general. I like that 'In general,' not restricted to music for silents.
, Great idea, Chris. ...... mel
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

movieman1957 wrote:Jon:

I'm not familiar with the two men you named. Did you meet them on the board or do you know them personally?

I was struck by how young Israel is. He couldn't have been much more than his mid-30s. I was struck by how much he seems to understand what is needed. Obviously his proof is in his fine work.
I missed this question when you first posted it. Sorry. I don't either man personally.

Mirsalis is a pianist (and overall silent expert) who did the scores for Kino's Fairbanks films Zorro, Don Q, Son of Zorro, and the Fritz Lang Woman in the Moon. He's also a big Lon Chaney fan.

Mortilla did the music for the DVDs of the Chaplin Mutuals. I don't like them -- he tried too hard to write "funny" scores, which I find annoying. Also, I just didn't like the guy.