Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
CineMaven

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by CineMaven »

[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote:Sadly, TCM is not basic cable where I live. It may be available on some high-falutin' 300 channel deal. But I don't know anybody who has it.
...And yet you get Svengoolie ( which I don't have on my channel. ) Wotta country!!
[u]JackFavell[/u] wrote:I didn't even give it a look. :oops:
Oh man. :(
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I recently saw AIRPORT 1975 for the first time.

Glorious Badness.

The inspiration for:

But you can't beat the original.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

BronxGirl, AIRPORT '75 was voted one of the worst films by the infamous Medved brothers. Well . . . it's pretty bad but on its own level it is entertaining, and for the popcorn movie fan what's so wrong with that? As long as a movie entertains me, I ain't got no problem (slippin' into my Western vernacular). If I want education or edification I watch histories and biographies. Entertainment is something I savor when I just want to switch my brain into neutral.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Jackie, yes, Alexis is in STEEL AGAINST THE SKY. But she always looks more comfortable in noir.

I'd love to hear Stan and Ollie in those other two languages, German and Italian. Somehow I think German would suit Ollie best, when he's railing against Laurel. I love how they got the perfect Mae Busch-types for the wives/sweethearts, in Spanish and French.

As for THE CHAPMAN REPORT, oh my goodness, lol. Did you ever think you'd hear Henry Daniell expounding on female sexuality? And I'm trying to wrap my mind around George Cukor as director. I'm a Jane Fonda fan, but not in this film. moira is right -- she's exceedingly twitchy in this part, and her usual intelligent interpretations as an actress seem lost to me here, most notably the meltdown during the "session", where it looked to me like she was getting off heroin. I also normally have a soft spot for Efrem, his main attraction being a comforting, earnest, low-key, professorial presence, but here he's like some mutant physical manisfestation of what pipe-and-slippers would look like turned into a human male. Winters and Stone, the schlubby "regular" couple, oy. Oleaginous Ray Danton, lol, I swear if someone threw water on him, it would roll right off. His theatre director and stage-struck Shelley aren't exactly in the glamorous mode of Louis Jourdan and Suzy Parker from THE BEST OF EVERYTHING. Shelley is always insufferable to me when she's whiny. I prefer her tough and witchy. The Glynis Johns and John Dehner segment seemed like some kind of offbeat Twilight Zone episode on the nature of love. Claire Bloom suffers and suffers, but her angst seemed more appropriate to someone bitten by a vampire than in the throws of sex addiction and alcoholism. I love the way all the women wear gloves. Ah, the early Sixties, still chic and romantic...

Western Guy -- AIRPORT 1975 is a GOOD bad movie!
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 23rd, 2013, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

AIRPORT 1975 ... I saw this movie twice this year and I loved every second of it ... Great Cast and most importantly its entertains me from start to finish. I consider this movie a very good movie to watch at any time of the year and I love everything about it.

I consider this a GOOD SOLID MOVIE ... Bar None. :)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

kingme, AIRPORT 1975 is entertaining. :D And they use a real 747! At least I can get through it without feeling queasy (and needing a Myrna Loy boilermaker) like with THE BABY, lol.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

What's a Myrna Loy Boilermaker?? (I don't get out much :oops: :cry: :oops: :cry: :oops: )
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

A shot of whiskey with a beer chaser, which Myrna as Mrs. Devaney in AIRPORT 1975 really enjoys, lol. :lol:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gosh, even this backwoods gal has heard of those..just didn't remember Ms Loy imbibing. Think I need to revisit the movie soon. Thanks, BG!
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've enjoyed a few of those myself. And usually regretted it the next morning!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Didn't say I DRANK them, just heard of them..... I'm more of a gin and tonic with a twist of lime person. :D
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I quit drinking 5-7 years ago because I hate the headaches that came afterwards ... and its not worth having them at all.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey, I`ll sit through a televised showing of any of the AIRPORT movies, sans THE CONCORDE which to me is totally unwatchable, and in fact migraine-inducing (as are Winnipeg`s own Guy Maddin films, but that`s an entirely different topic). I`d have to say, though, that after the original Burt Lancaster,Dean Martin flick, my fave is AIRPORT `77