*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Fossy

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by Fossy »

Jane Powell--a picture from Two Weeks With Love (1950) ?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

GLORIA GRAHAME
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
SHIRLEY KNIGHT is 77 today

TOMMY COOK is 83 today

WARREN OATES (1928 - 1982)

BEVERLY TYLER (1927 - 2005)

MILBURN STONE (1904 - 1980)

EDWARD WOODS (1903 - 1989)
Trivia:
Woods was originally cast as the lead in "Public Enemy", with James Cagney playing the second lead, but after viewing dailies, director William A. Wellman had the actors switch roles, and Cagney became a star
Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Can you imagine how off-balance THE PUBLIC ENEMY would have been had the studio retained the original casting. It was weird enough watching streetwise tough Jimmy playing second fiddle to suave, sophisticated Lew Ayres in DOORWAY TO HELL.

Speaking of gangsters, my regards to the memory of Mr. Oates, the best screen DILLINGER and a great favorite of mine.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, my favorite actor to portray "Dillinger" is Lawrence Tierney, although Oates was very good.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Lew Ayres receives from Ann Sheridan a lemon pie she made herself in 1947
Joseph Goodheart
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Cute picture of Lew and Ann here ... Ann Sheridan was a baker by heart and she has a reputation of making delicious pies. I just wanted to let everyone here to know about it. I learned of this while researching about Rita Hayworth and Ann Sheridan ... both of these actresses were good friends and Rita loves her pies.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Appreciate the info, Erik.
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Sylvia Ashley & Clark Gable sample their wedding cake. December, 1949
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Joseph Goodheart
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey Joe, now that is a cool posting. I like Tierney's version, too, but you can't mistake the physical resemblance between Oates and the real Dillinger. Also Oates' portrayal was more in line with Dillinger's character. Tierney played the outlaw more as a psychopath (thrusting a broken beer mug into some poor guy's face, dispatching a romantic rival with an axe); Oates retained many of the likeable qualities Dillinger was known to possess. No candidate for sainthood to be sure but even some of those in law enforcement admitted to a grudging respect for Dillinger and it was also known that female tellers at some of those banks Dillinger robbed recalled him as a gentleman.

And between you, me and Gilligan, I still have very strong doubts that it actually was Dillinger who was shot outside the Biograph Theater almost 80 years ago.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I'd always heard that Humphrey Bogart got his break in the movies because of his resemblance to Dillinger.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes Charlie, because of his role as gangster-on-the-lam Duke Mantee in the Broadway production of "The Petrified Forest", which led Bogie to Hollywood. Dillinger was still hot in the news at the time of the play's run (there's little doubt that playwright Robert Sherwood based Mantee on Dillinger) but for the play Bogart apparently was hired because he could rough-edge his voice to counterbalance the cultured tones of star Leslie Howard. Of course during the run of the play the comparisons to Dillinger were really recognized (helped along by Bogie wearing that half-beard through each performance - in fact, many people purchased front row tickets so that they could get a better look at the beard).

As we know Bogie was so successful in the part both on stage and in the WB movie that he became typecast as an underworld character for many moons - and may have remained in that rut if not for George Raft.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Stone, I never knew that there was doubt that it wasn't Dillinger who was shot and killed that night coming out of the theater. I know that his body was on a gurney but where was he caught?
Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
WILLIAM SCHALLERT is 91 today

LUANA PATTEN (1938 - 1996)

JANET LEIGH (1927 - 2004)

CATHY O'DONNELL (1923 - 1970)

BILLY MAUCH (1921 - 2006) BOBBY MAUCH (1921 - 2007)
Joseph Goodheart