Do You Know Me?

jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You gentlemen are both correct; Fernando was first, so he gets to wear the laurel crown this time.

You know, it was difficult to describe Good Ol' Whit in general terms: he was a very generic actor, something that apparently was a good thing for him, considering the breadth of his work. When I was young, I even confused him in my mind sometimes with a similar actor, King Donovan (they had the same speaking voice), and sometimes with Andy Williams, who Whit resembled a bit.

I worked hard yesterday - who's got one for us?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Someone has come in to sit in the empty Mystery Guest chair:

Do you know me?

I was born out west while the Civil War was still raging, and I lived long enough to be in a movie about Nazis.

I started out as a lawyer, but after taking a course in dramatics at school, I decided my dramatic abilities would be better used on the stage than in a courtroom. I acted in some plays in San Francisco, and then went to New York to try my luck on Broadway. I had a pretty successful decade or so on stage, before I began making films. I was in films by D.W. Griffith and C.D. de Mille. In fact, I made almost 200 films in my 60-year acting career.

I played plenty of lawyers. I also played doctors, cowboys and grandpas. I was one of Hollywood's long-lasting and venerable characters. My wife had been a stage actress, and then a successful screenwriter during the 1920s.

Who am I?
melwalton

do you know me

Post by melwalton »

Tully Marshall

Tough one v mel
jdb1

Re: do you know me

Post by jdb1 »

melwalton wrote:Tully Marshall

Tough one v mel
Tully Marshall it is.

Obviously not too tough for you, Mel.
melwalton

who am I

Post by melwalton »

Hey, Bkln, how about that? Must be the law of averages. I looked it up, of course. ( is that cheating? ) with my memory I look up everything. I got an easy one. I love this game, keep it going.

I was born in the 'deep south'. I dropped my family name for show business and used my first and middle names which are alliterative, I played in a Ziegfeld show on Broadway. I played in only a handful of movies in the mid 30s but was very successful, In my last movie, I sang a song that was the most popular in the country for a very short time. I died a teenager. My death opened the door for other singers one of them with the same first name as mine had a fairly long, successful career. I'm sure you know me.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Mel, it's been more than 24 hours without an answer, so it would help if you threw out a little hint.

(And looking it up is certainly not cheating. After all, that's why they print crossword dictionaries.)
JDB
melwalton

games and trivia.

Post by melwalton »

Hi Bkln. I was kidding about the cheating. I know, I've a bizarre sense of humor.....Here's some more about MG: ...
I was Miss blank (southern city ) of 1930, I was 15 at that time.
I was in the cast of 'The Ziegfeld Follies' of 1931, I was 16
I played the heroine in an early Shirley Temple film.
I was killed in an automobile crash. (really, not in a movie )
I was very pretty and a favorite of the guy who's typing this.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

You, Mystery Guest, are Dorothy Dell.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
melwalton

who am I

Post by melwalton »

Right on, Charlie. You got it. Good for you.
Dorothy Dell Goff was born in Mississippi. She was Miss New Orleans of 1930. ..
She played in ''Little Miss Marker'. She sang 'With my Eyes Wide Open, I'm Dreaming' in the Movie 'Shoot the Works', Dorothy Lamour and Shirley Ross succeeded her in Paramount musicals. Lamour being the more successful. ...Mel
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Do you know me?

I started out as a "hoofer," and worked as a comedy foil for Phil Silvers in burlesque. I worked with Silvers several more times after we had both become more well-known.

I made numerous comedy and musical shorts, many of them at the old Vitagraph studio in Brooklyn. Even though I was considered a minor supporting player and character actor, I am one of those who holds the Triple Crown: an Oscar, an Emmy and a Tony. I won the Oscar and the Tony playing the same role.

I did lots of TV, mostly comedy. My last TV role was a very popular one in a ground-breaking sitcom. My older sister was also a character actor, and had a recurring role as a rather unsympathetic character on a very popular long-running fantasy sitcom.

My most frequently shown movie is not the one for which I won the Oscar; that one was a drama, the one that's shown so often is a family film, wherein I sing and dance. There was a recent remake of that one which is truer to the book it's based on (even using the book's original title). My role was greatly cut in the new one, and that character doesn't do what I did.

Who am I?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Are you Jack Albertson?
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

CharlieT wrote:Are you Jack Albertson?
Jack Albertson it is.

Albertson won an Oscar and a Tony for the role of the father in The Subject Was Roses. He also won two Emmys, one for Chico and the Man, and one for a guest spot on the Cher Show.

His musical number "I've Got a Golden Ticket" in Willie Wonka remains my favorite part of that movie.

The floor is open . . . . .
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Why, look, here comes a new Mystery Guest:

Do you know me?

Like many of Hollywood's venerable character actors, my resume seems to go on forever. I have almost 350 screen appearances to my credit. Of course, the fact that I started in silents while still a small child helps the count. In fact, my mother was an actress in silents, and she got me into movies. However, my father did not approve, so I stopped acting for a while, and finished my schooling, graduating from UCLA.

But as soon as I finished college, I wanted to be an actress too, and that's what I did. My modest good looks and my plainspeaking manner made me a favorite as a supporting player. I started out in comedy shorts with such stars as Charley Chase and the Stooges. I was your neighbor, your sweetheart, your teacher, your best friend in so very many films. I was in several of Frank Capra's films, probably because of my natural acting style and Everywoman appearance.

I played the mother of a famously angst-ridden teen. I wasn't too happy with him, though. I thought he was a pain on the set, and I didn't hold with his fancy acting methods. I was also the mother in a series about a boy and his dog, and in one about a girl and her horse. I probably worked with just about every star, director and producer in Hollywood, on the big screen and the small screen, in a career that spanned over 60 years.

Who am I?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Duplicate post.

Please excuse. :oops:
melwalton

who am I

Post by melwalton »

Could I be Ann Doran?..........mel