What's It Like Facing the World As a Man?

Chit-chat, current events
Andree

Re: What's It Like Facing the World As a Man?

Post by Andree »

What's it like? Hard. Very hard. Hard as a rock.

The baldy bachelor host is a whiny sissy snowflake.

Fortunately, there is still a place where men can find support and male friendship.

Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Andree wrote: June 15th, 2023, 8:30 pm Fortunately, there is still a place where men can find support and male friendship.
The manosphere?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: June 15th, 2023, 5:19 pm I'd like to get back to this comment here...
Swithin wrote: June 14th, 2023, 8:21 pm
I met the composer of "Johnny Angel:" Lee Pockriss. He also wrote "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini." My dealings with him had to do with one of his musicals.
So Swithin?! No mention of Mr. Pockress' co-writing credit for another late-'50s hit...'Catch a Falling Star' ?

(...what, not a big Perry Como fan or somethin'???) ;)
I wasn't intending to give his resume, only to mention that I had dealings with him. In those dealings, only the two songs mentioned and two of his shows were relevant.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 8:52 pm

The manosphere?
I was thinking of a more traditional place, the good ol' YMCA. They've got everything. :smiley_innocent:
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Andree wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:07 pm
Intrepid37 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 8:52 pm

The manosphere?
I was thinking of a more traditional place, the good ol' YMCA. They've got everything. :smiley_innocent:
Don't you have to be a young man?

And isn't it mostly for homosexual young men?

Post-twentysomethings - and the vast majority of heterosexual men - don't hang out at the Y, I don't imagine.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: June 15th, 2023, 10:21 pm
I wasn't intending to give his resume, only to mention that I had dealings with him. In those dealings, only the two songs mentioned and two of his shows were relevant.
Yes, yes, I know.

This was just a matter of me Googling the name of a person I had previously no knowledge of, but thanks to your earlier comment prompting an online search, I would discover this additional little tidbit of information about the gentleman and so decided to share it with the learned assembled here. That's all.

(...oh, and of course to ascertain how you might feel about Perry Como) ;)

LOL
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Eugene Levy did an imitation performance of Perry Como on SCTV. He did it as the most relaxed singer in the world - wearing a sweater and laying on a couch while singing the disco hit "I Love the Night Life" slowly.

Hilarious.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 16th, 2023, 12:27 am Eugene Levy did an imitation performance of Perry Como on SCTV. He did it as the most relaxed singer in the world - wearing a sweater and laying on a couch while singing the disco hit "I Love the Night Life" slowly.

Hilarious.
Yeah, I remember that. It was hilarious.

Now, did YOU know that Perry Como was reportedly Queen Liz's favorite singer?

(...that's what I've heard, anyway)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:33 pm

Post-twentysomethings - and the vast majority of heterosexual men - don't hang out at the Y, I don't imagine.
Well there's the YMCA of the song and the actual YMCA, so there might be some differences between the two.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:53 pm
Swithin wrote: June 15th, 2023, 10:21 pm
Yes, yes, I know.

This was just a matter of me Googling the name of a person I had previously no knowledge of, but thanks to your earlier comment prompting an online search, I would discover this additional little tidbit of information about the gentleman and so decided to share it with the learned assembled here. That's all.

(...oh, and of course to ascertain how you might feel about Perry Como) ;)

LOL
I like Perry Como and always enjoy hearing his songs. I vaguely remember his TV show from my childhood. I don't have any of his recordings. It's not like he was a Shirelle!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: June 16th, 2023, 1:10 am
Intrepid37 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:33 pm

Well there's the YMCA of the song and the actual YMCA, so there might be some differences between the two.
I hardly think anybody needs to be told that. Talk about a "point" being pointless by being totally unnecessary.

It's about as condescendingly cheap as it's possible to be - nobody needs to be reminded of something so utterly obvious.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Plagiarism. No points.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 16th, 2023, 9:29 am
Andree wrote: June 16th, 2023, 1:10 am
Intrepid37 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:33 pm Don't you have to be a young man?
I hardly think anybody needs to be told that. Talk about a "point" being pointless by being totally unnecessary.
It's about as condescendingly cheap as it's possible to be - nobody needs to be reminded of something so utterly obvious.

What I'd like to know is what is "condescendingly cheap". Also, what is the "manosphere"? :D
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Allhallowsday wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:37 am
Sepiatone wrote: June 15th, 2023, 11:00 am
Allhallowsday wrote: June 14th, 2023, 1:12 pm
YES. I have a goatee and always wear a cap, but NEVER backwards. YES, Sepiatone, we are not herd animals, but UNIQUE.
Don't be such a pickle puss.
Even after admitting you prove my point you still insist on believing otherwise. ;)
Well, at least THAT'S what makes you unique. :smiley_clap:
You had no point, and if there were, it's hardly proven.
By admitting you wear a ball cap(like millions of others do) not only proved my point, but in more ways than one people basically ARE "herd animals". Like....

Do you(like another millions or so) also own a "smart phone"? and do you also(like millions do) text?

There's really nothing wrong in any of that, if indeed it's what you choose to do. But then ask yourself.....

WHY do you choose to do what millions of other people do? Can you honestly say it's all coincidence? You do also realize(I hope) that following or chasing "trends" or "fads" eliminates the possibility of being truly unique? And it's really nothing new either. Just look at all those "classic" movies we on this forum like to watch. Even in old newsreels. How many of the men are wearing Fedoras? And suits with neckties? For generations people have always sought acceptance and the "safety in numbers" through some form of conformity. That not all people are identical in physical appearance is the only uniqueness there is. And if THAT'S what you mean by being "unique" it might have helped avoid all this brou ha to have stated that to begin with. ;)

Sepiatone
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Every group has "norms" to itself. In the punk/goth world, for an extreme group, everybody is being "unique" by wearing black and leather jackets. In golf, everyone is wearing polo shirts. And so on. I don't think that it makes them sheep. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. :lol: Women are in the same boat; it's not just men.

Also, smart phones are pretty much required these days to live in society (the apps many of us USE on these smartphones are another story!), so I don't really lump that in with a desire to fit in at all. You can't even get a job without one (yes, there are plenty of exceptions, but the vast majority of employers are expecting you to have a smartphone).