Noir Alley

Andree

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: July 10th, 2023, 4:10 pm

Yeah, seemed like Walker's character would've been more savvy than to hook up with that loser lover of hers! Guess he was good in the sack! Looks and intelligence-wise nothing to write home about! Why not knock off Brian somehow in town than to go to all that trouble and plotting?
He definitely seemed way out of her league. Maybe she liked slumming. Good in the sack, bad in the attack. I believe he
only hit Donlevy once with the jack and then got into a unnecessary car accident and died. He makes ol' Walter Neff look
like a genius. Not top drawer, but pretty good.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

kingrat wrote: July 10th, 2023, 7:07 pm

It does seem like an unnecessarily complex plot. And yes, Anna May "disguised" in sunglasses was a bit much. Product placement wasn't as big a thing back then as it now, but gee, Bekins really had the screen time in this one. They should close those doors, though.
As I posted, I didn't buy the police doing a U-turn and arresting Donlevy, which certainly added to the running time
of the movie. Yeah, Bekins got a nice promo, except for not closing the backdoors, but maybe few people took note of
that.

Mayflower.....We close our doors. Every time.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: July 10th, 2023, 11:45 pm
kingrat wrote: July 10th, 2023, 7:07 pm

It does seem like an unnecessarily complex plot. And yes, Anna May "disguised" in sunglasses was a bit much. Product placement wasn't as big a thing back then as it now, but gee, Bekins really had the screen time in this one. They should close those doors, though.
As I posted, I didn't buy the police doing a U-turn and arresting Donlevy, which certainly added to the running time
of the movie. Yeah, Bekins got a nice promo, except for not closing the backdoors, but maybe few people took note of
that.

Mayflower.....We close our doors. Every time.
I agree that this U-turn by the police was a clumsy plot twist. Instead, the plot could have just had the police and DA confused as to what, if any crimes were committed, releasing the wife for murder and not charging anyone for any crime. The detective continues on his quest with Raines: they find Wong, and this exposes the wife for attempted murder, all in 10 minutes less.
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: July 11th, 2023, 10:01 am

I agree that this U-turn by the police was a clumsy plot twist. Instead, the plot could have just had the police and DA confused as to what, if any crimes were committed, releasing the wife for murder and not charging anyone for any crime. The detective continues on his quest with Raines: they find Wong, and this exposes the wife for attempted murder, all in 10 minutes less.
I would have had Donlevy tell the truth when he came back to SF. Not telling it messed him up. Then Helen could have been
charged with attempted murder. Do a short trial sequence, she is found guilty, and Donlevy and Raines drive off into the sunset
in a car he has just checked out. Less complicated and shorter.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

I'm reposting this as an FYI:

Tonight and Sunday Noir Alley film is Shockproof (1949), a Columbia film with Cornel Wilde and then wife, Patrick Knight. The pair, married since 1937 would divorce a few years later. Days after the divorce was final, Wilde then went on to marry Jean Wallace and make another noir with her, and one of the best late era noirs, The Big Combo.

Shockproof is Wilde's least successful noir film. Douglas Sirk directs, and the original screenplay is by Sam Fuller. I always wondered what the film would have been like if directed by Fuller as well, since he directed some first-rate noir films.
laffite

Post by laffite »

2.5 / 9.7

:smiley_sick:
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Andree

Post by Andree »

One weird thing about this movie--I couldn't remember if had seen it before or not. Sometimes it seemed
familiar and other times not. I came to the conclusion I had seen it before, but it must have been long
ago or it didn't make much of an impression. It started out okay, but then it got bogged down, especially
when mama mia and kid brother came into the picture. It never quite got back on track, though I did
enjoy Cornel's disastrous attempt to get into Mexico and running into every dead end he could. Maltin's
Guide agreed that the ending was a cop out. Hard to believe that the bad guy would suddenly turn sensitive.
A few good cinematography touches, but not enough to save this one. I'd give it a C+.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I couldn't remember, either, for awhile, if I'd seen it, but once the blind mama entered the picture, realized I had! Film wasnt too bad until that ridiculous last half hr. Hard to believe Cornell's character would break the law like that and that happy tacked on ending! I doubt even audiences at the time swallowed that! I picked up the Tomorrow is Another Day similarity right away!
C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

Seen it before also, wasn't too impressed. I watched a recent one that was impressive. French Noir Voyage sans espoir (1943)

here is the opening sequence:

https://youtu.be/OcLlatzZstI
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

C*i*g*a*rTheJoe wrote: July 17th, 2023, 1:17 pm Seen it before also, wasn't too impressed. I watched a recent one that was impressive. French Noir Voyage sans espoir (1943)

here is the opening sequence:

https://youtu.be/OcLlatzZstI
Wow! That IS some opening scene there, isn't it CJ!
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: July 17th, 2023, 12:39 pm I couldn't remember, either, for awhile, if I'd seen it, but once the blind mama entered the picture, realized I had! Film wasnt too bad until that ridiculous last half hr. Hard to believe Cornell's character would break the law like that and that happy tacked on ending! I doubt even audiences at the time swallowed that! I picked up the Tomorrow is Another Day similarity right away!

Yeah, not very plausible that a straight arrow like Cornel would throw everything away at a moment's notice, even
for a sexy dame. And if the two had stuck around it would have been a case of self defense. I did distinctly remember
the end of the film where they were stuck in that crummy shack right next to where he worked. After that, maybe
prison didn't look so bad.
MissWonderly

Post by MissWonderly »

Not greatly impressed with this weekend's offering, " Julie". And I like Doris Day and Barry Sullivan. But the film couldn't decide what it wanted to be, and where it wanted the story to go. Seemed like three different movies: first we get Julie running from a scary marriage with Louis Jordan ( who's pretty good actually, as the psycho husband). Next, it's a stalker movie, with Barry Sullivan trying to help Doris hide from the aforesaid psycho. But then, it suddenly turns into "Airplane" ! Ok, I know, it's the original version of the terrified non-pilot being talked through landing a plane. Plus, not a comedy like "Airplane" was. Which of course was itself taking off (pun intended) from "Airport". But however you want to look at it, it's still 15 minutes or so of Doris nervously flying the plane. I know it's supposed to be suspenseful, but I got bored. Ok, she has to turn left or raise the nose of the plane or whatever. I get it.
I would have found it more satisfying if they'd cut some of the Doris -flying-a-plane routine and instead gone with a bit of a wrap-up, maybe with Barry Sullivan coming back into it, and showing that the poor co-pilot survived.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I have Julie on my DVR. Good news is I know the ending, so it is not spoiled.
While I know nothing about Noir, I am a big fan of Doris Day.
Didn't like Airplane! One big ongoing joke.
I have not seen Airport '75 in a long time, but know it has a similar situation to Julie.
I do love Airport.
I'm eager to hear what Eddie Muller has to say about Julie.
Someone here on SSO claims it is the first movie for Doris Day with MGM, after leaving WB.
The one film I enjoy and know is Noir, is Mildred Pierce.
Since Doris only sang Julie over the opening credits, casting someone else, anyone else, might have been better.
But what do I know?