Noir Alley

C*i*g*a*rTheJoe

Re: Noir Alley

Post by C*i*g*a*rTheJoe »

I'm watching The Secret Fury On Demand and there was no Noir Alley intro.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: September 6th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Yeah, that whole scene was just poorly conceived. No surprise they didn't bother to explain what happened later on. Fred wasn't exactly a fashion plate! LOL.
They more or less glossed over it, maybe hoping people wouldn't think about it. Even though I haven't watched
ILL in a while, Fred Mertz is one of the funniest sitcom characters IMO. Yeah, you won't see Fred on the cover
of GQ.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: September 6th, 2023, 10:52 pm
Hibi wrote: September 6th, 2023, 4:27 pm

Yeah, that whole scene was just poorly conceived. No surprise they didn't bother to explain what happened later on. Fred wasn't exactly a fashion plate! LOL.
They more or less glossed over it, maybe hoping people wouldn't think about it. Even though I haven't watched
ILL in a while, Fred Mertz is one of the funniest sitcom characters IMO. Yeah, you won't see Fred on the cover
of GQ.
Yes, I'm sure they didn't want people to dwell on the gaping plot hole there so it wasn't brought up. I wonder how they handled that in the book? And how could the killer count on Claudette not remembering all that?????
Andree

Post by Andree »

Plus it was in the 'good old days' when people usually saw a movie one time and didn't have the ability
for endless reruns. The whole scene is just weird.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

C*i*g*a*rTheJoe wrote: September 6th, 2023, 6:08 pm I'm watching The Secret Fury On Demand and there was no Noir Alley intro.
I'm not seeing THE SECERET FURY available on Watch TCM anymore.

I was planning on watching it,

:(
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 12:16 pm Yep, a totally unbelievable plot--especially so that whole "Shoot me, I want you to shoot me" ending--that is actually quite well directed.

(...btw, I've always thought if Sam and Minnie Marx had had a daughter and instead of all sons, she would've looked just like Claudette Colbert...anyone else see this?...and no, I'm not kiddin' here)

Lay quiet, Dargo, the men in white coats will be kind to you, lol.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 8th, 2023, 2:03 pm
Dargo wrote: September 3rd, 2023, 12:16 pm Yep, a totally unbelievable plot--especially so that whole "Shoot me, I want you to shoot me" ending--that is actually quite well directed.

(...btw, I've always thought if Sam and Minnie Marx had had a daughter and instead of all sons, she would've looked just like Claudette Colbert...anyone else see this?...and no, I'm not kiddin' here)

LOL

So then Bronxie you're sayin' you see no similarities in appearance between Claudette and say, particularly so with Leonard "Chico" Marx at ALL here???

AND, that IF Claudette HAD actually been a "Marx Sister", she could have gone by the stage name of "Cheeko" because of those big puffy cheeks of hers?!

And NOT to mention they share the very same NOSE!!!

Not seein' this then, eh?! Well, I DO!

(...and so in THAT case and while I'm waitin' for those men in white coats to arrive to my door here, how's the weather been down your way there in Alligator Land lately?) ;)

LOL
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: September 8th, 2023, 2:03 pm

OH, and I just thought of somethin' ELSE here, Bronxie!

And THIS comin' from a woman who's recently admitted in another thread around here that she thought she saw some kind'a "crab puppy" walkin' down a Florida sidewalk one day?!!!

(...kind'a makes my whole Claudette Colbert/Chico Marx thing here seem a whole lot less of a stretch by comparison, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

LOL
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

It was good seeing The Wrong Man again. It may be atypical of Hitchcock but still a great film.

Eddie Muller doesn't go into as much detail on this as he does on others.

One thing I would like to mention is Peggy Webber as the insurance clerk who first sees Henry Fonda and believes he is the hold up man. She later had many memorable roles on Dragnet.

jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: September 10th, 2023, 11:01 am It was good seeing The Wrong Man again. It may be atypical of Hitchcock but still a great film.

Eddie Muller doesn't go into as much detail on this as he does on others.

One thing I would like to mention is Peggy Webber as the insurance clerk who first sees Henry Fonda and believes he is the hold up man. She later had many memorable roles on Dragnet.

I would loved to see Manny on What's My Line: would I be able to guess which one of the guys was him? (or would I pull a Peggy Webber!).
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on September 10th, 2023, 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I haven't seen The Wrong Man in years, so I had forgotten some of the details. Pretty fair semi-documentary, real
locations used type of picture, though obviously not a lot of action like The Naked City. Henry Fonda plays his role
in a understated way that works pretty well, as Manny seems relatively passive. Vera Miles is also good as the wife who
starts to have mental problems after he is arrested. I wonder if the Roman Catholic references like the rosary beads and
the prayer that precedes the blending of Manny's face with the actual culprit had anything to do with Hitchcock's Catholic
upbringing or if they were just part of Manny's character as a Catholic. The cops don't come out too good to me. Smug and
arrogant and rather sloppy in their police work. See Manny you misspelled draw just like the hold up note did. Guilty.

Manny's appearance on To Tell the Truth is available on YT. Polly Bergen and Dick Van Dyke were two of the celebrities
on that episode.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: September 10th, 2023, 1:43 pm
...I would loved to see Manny on What's My Line: would I be able to guess which one of the guys was him? (or would I pull a Peggy Webber!).
Andree wrote: September 10th, 2023, 5:18 pm
...Manny's appearance on To Tell the Truth is available on YT. Polly Bergen and Dick Van Dyke were two of the celebrities
on that episode.
Now I can't remember.

Did Eddie in his wrapround misstate that Manny was once on 'What's My Line' and perhaps the reason you said "WML" here James (and other than for the clever "Peggy Webber" comment), or did Eddie say he appeared on 'To Tell the Truth' and which would seem more likely due to this game show's premise and format, and seemingly confirmed by Andree here?

I seem to recall Eddie (mis)stating the former, as I recall at the time wondering why Manny would appear on a game show in which guessing someone's job in the objective of the game, and not as it was on 'TTTT' and where after hearing someone's personal story, it's to be determind who of the three contestants that personal story actually belongs to. I dunno. Maybe I'm imagining this, though.

Too bad I've already deleted my recording of this after watching it this morning, or else I wouldn't have had to ask this question.

(...and so I guess it's now "one down and to you, James"...unless of course you'd like to now "pass to Andree" here!) ;)
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

-didn't look like Weld to me :smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

-her problem has little to do w/Fonda's predicament,
but with her own personal worldview....
a VERY depressing, but well-made film
:smiley_huh: