MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
HoldenIsHere

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 12:53 pm Folks! Folks! THE BEST OF EVERYTHING this evening!!

Do not miss!!

The original Sex and the City!!

The (sob!) lost glamour of 1950's white-gloved New York! Hope Lange, Diane Baker, Suzy Parker as three secretaries looking for love in The Big Apple! Plus -- Joan Crawford as bitchy editor Amanda Farrell!

It doesn't get any better!!
YES!!!!

In this movie, Joan Crawford has one of the best movie lines of all-time:

Now you and your rabbit-faced wife can both go to hell!

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CI and Kay, thanks so much for the LUCY GALLANT heads-up! Haven't seen this one! You can't go wrong with Thelma Ritter and Claire Trevor.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:19 pm
Hibi wrote: March 13th, 2024, 1:19 pm It's on TCM? Thanks for the reminder!

Yep, 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time this evening (Wednesday)

As far as I know, all of Joan's scenes are intact!

Oh, but her big drunk scene was cut before release. I bet that was widely over the top. :(

I should have said WILDLY over the top! Maybe she wasn't acting???? :D
Last edited by Hibi on March 14th, 2024, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I've seen TBOE a few times before. A total hoot. I guess there are some tragic aspects to
some of the girls' stories, but I'm too busy LMAO. I enjoy moves from the late 1950s. They
tippy toe around sexual topics and images that would be all out there ten years later. And
then you've got sexy ladies and hot dudes in their movie prime. Blast off.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Joan had a drunk scene??? I did not know that!!! Did she use her personal vodka flask?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Messala" is there too. Did Stephen Boyd film this before or after BEN-HUR? Or maybe simutaneously, the way Charleton Heston did with TOUCH OF EVIL.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on March 13th, 2024, 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:34 pm
YES!!!!

In this movie, Joan Crawford has one of the best movie lines of all-time:

Now you and your rabbit-faced wife can both go to hell!

Actually Holden, when I heard that line Joan says in that flick, my mind automatically went to Meredith Baxter...

(...sure, a nice looking woman alright, but somehow one who always reminded me of a rabbit...met her once at LAX, and yep, all I could think of was that during our short conversation...OR, with this perhaps being yet ANOTHER case of the dreaded "Rabbititus", eh Bronxie?!) ;)
Last edited by Dargo on March 13th, 2024, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 4:35 pm "Masala" is there too. Did Stephen Boyd film this before or after BEN-HUR? Or maybe simutaneously, the way Charleton Heston did with TOUCH OF EVIL.
According to Wiki's production comments of these two films, Bronxie, the answer would be that Boyd got his ass run over by that chariot (okay, actually a stuntman's ass anyway) before he began work in that high-gloss soap opera.

(...filming commenced on 'Ben-Hur' in May of 1958 and finished up in January of 1959, and with 'The Best of Everything' filming beginning in January of 1959)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 4:35 pm "Masala" is there too. Did Stephen Boyd film this before or after BEN-HUR? Or maybe simutaneously, the way Charleton Heston did with TOUCH OF EVIL.
He filmed it after but it was released before!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 4:32 pm Joan had a drunk scene??? I did not know that!!! Did she use her personal vodka flask?

LOL! We'll never know. A few moments of it still survive on the DVD coming attractions ad! Too bad. At a little over 2 hrs it was probably cut for time, but it leaves her part in the film more of a cameo.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo and Hibi -- thanks, guys for that info! Boyd imo wasn't much of an actor but sure looked good....

Who wouldn't want to see more of Joan in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING? What a shame.

Self-correction by moi: Her character's last name is Farrow, not Farrell as I mistakenly wrote.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:18 pm Dargo and Hibi -- thanks, guys for that info! Boyd imo wasn't much of an actor but sure looked good....

Who wouldn't want to see more of Joan in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING? What a shame....She probably would have been just as effective in her drunk scenes there as in HUMORESQUE.

Self-correction by moi: Her character's last name is Farrow, not Farrell as I mistakenly wrote.
Boyd was quite good though in a film he made with Dolores Hart called Lisa. They worked very well together. And there were a few other films he was good in, although The Oscar was definitely not one of them. Now that's a film that would have been abysmally bad no matter who was in it. Poor Eleanor Parker was the only one who halfway tried in that wretched film.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: March 13th, 2024, 6:52 am
CinemaInternational wrote: March 12th, 2024, 2:36 pm I remember that special. In fact my family has a copy of it on DVD..... (My parents are both from Pittsburgh, and bought many of the PBS specials, both national ones and Pennsylvania made ones, that the Pittsburgh station made on DVD)
Cool! I love Rick Sebak and ALL of his specials-he has his finger on what's really important to people that can't be replicated by a mega park or fast food chains. Humanity.

I was often his consultant for projects because my company kept a database of traditional, non corporate/chain Diners, Drive In Theaters & traditional Roadside Attractions- I provided contact info and even which direction the building faced for filming. Of course, now all that info can be found on the internet. He even made a special on Cemeteries-we definitely were kindred spirits!

The Amusement Park Show was the only one Sebak convinced me to speak on camera. At the time, everyone thought I looked just like Sandra Bullock (even our high school pics look alike!) Sadly, we have aged differently & now I look more like George Washington.
Yes, they are wonderful specials, and I agree the interest in people is what is best about them. You don't get that much anymore, and it is missed. That is wonderful that you were a consultant on several programs; I had no idea!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:21 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:18 pm Dargo and Hibi -- thanks, guys for that info! Boyd imo wasn't much of an actor but sure looked good....

Who wouldn't want to see more of Joan in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING? What a shame....She probably would have been just as effective in her drunk scenes there as in HUMORESQUE.

Boyd was quite good though in a film he made with Dolores Hart called Lisa. They worked very well together. And there were a few other films he was good in, although The Oscar was definitely not one of them. Now that's a film that would have been abysmally bad no matter who was in it. Poor Eleanor Parker was the only one who halfway tried in that wretched film.
Also was the movie proving once and for all that while Tony Bennett could in real life croon with the best of 'em and rival even Sinatra in this regard...

(...well, I think you know where I'm goin' with this here, don't ya)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:21 pm

I will have to check out LISA and some of his other work. With the possible exception of FANTASTIC VOYAGE, i always find Boyd intense but not necessarily in a good way, lol. As for THE OSCAR, no one could have redeemed that turkey, one of the Great Bad Movies. Eleanor always tries....Tony Bennett as "Hymie Kelly" was hilarious.