I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
kingrat

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by kingrat »

I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 10:26 am I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
I think we all have those moments, whether it's film, TV, music or art. Magnolia was that way for me at the theaters. Modern art is probably the biggest offender (is that the right word?) for me. I mean, when I look at Raushenberg's various shades of white paintings, I think, is that all there is? The wildest was an installation at Centre Pompidou in Paris. It was an empty plastic cutlery holder on a pedestal. That's all. According to the blurb next to it, it is meant as a commentary on modern life and how plastic it is. OK. Whatever. You turned a $5 kitchen item into a piece of art by adding nothing to it and literally putting it on a pedestal. And over here, I have some fancy new clothes for the Emperor...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

txfilmfan wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:02 am
kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 10:26 am I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
I think we all have those moments, whether it's film, TV, music or art. Magnolia was that way for me at the theaters. Modern art is probably the biggest offender (is that the right word?) for me. I mean, when I look at Raushenberg's various shades of white paintings, I think, is that all there is? The wildest was an installation at Centre Pompidou in Paris. It was an empty plastic cutlery holder on a pedestal. That's all. According to the blurb next to it, it is meant as a commentary on modern life and how plastic it is. OK. Whatever. You turned a $5 kitchen item into a piece of art by adding nothing to it and literally putting it on a pedestal. And over here, I have some fancy new clothes for the Emperor...

I realize I might be getting us even further off-topic, but JUST YESTERDAY I was thinking of how- with a couple exceptions- FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT designed some truly uglyassed houses.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:33 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:02 am

I realize I might be getting us even further off-topic, but JUST YESTERDAY I was thinking of how- with a couple exceptions- FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT designed some truly uglyassed houses.
"...uglyassed..."

This new word should be made a part of all the lexicons in the world of movie "critics."

Since we don't have an "autosenselessor" that's not a problem. Or do we have one? This word in quotes was coined by our fine friend but lamentably absent MissWonderly. ////
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

laffite wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:43 am
Since we don't have an "autosenselessor" that's not a problem. Or do we have one? This word in quotes was coined by our fine friend but lamentably absent MissWonderly. ////

we do have one, that's why I made it one word portmanteau style.

Man, I hope MISS WONDERLY is doin okay out there, wherever she is (I lament her absence as well).....

laffite

Post by laffite »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:48 am
laffite wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:43 am

we do have one, that's why I made it one word portmanteau style.

Man, I hope MISS WONDERLY is doin okay out there, wherever she is (I lament her absence as well).....

I love MissWonderly and Mary Astor! How's that for a doublecrush :smiley_shades: .
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:35 am Image
It looks like a tomb! (Mausoleum to be more precise).

Miss Wonderly is busy with her life. She became disenchanted with the slow activity here.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:20 pm Miss Wonderly is busy with her life. She became disenchanted with the slow activity here.
Must not've been a MURDER SHE WROTE fan....
Last edited by Lorna on April 12th, 2024, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

laffite wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:11 pm
I love MissWonderly and Mary Astor! How's that for a doublecrush :smiley_shades: .
[/quote]

sorry the pic is SO FRIGGIN HUGE, but it was a good one and I liked the gardenias.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

[quote=Andree}

I think the Lume lady has toned down her spiel lately. She doesn't talk about
under this, up that, but private areas. There's also another woman who does a
similar ad for another brand of deodorizer. Maybe this is the golden age of
eliminating the PU problem.
[/quote]

Can you imagine the NATIONWIDE APOPLECTIC SEIZURE THAT WOULD HAVE OCCURRED if- during an AD BREAK on I LOVE LUCY ca. 1954, MISS BETTY FURNESS showed up in the shower and asked: "HEY AMERICA!! DO YOU WANNA KNOW HOW WELL YOUR SOAP IS WORKING?! WELL YOU TAKE YOUR HAND AND YOU STICK IT..."

(i'm not going to finish but...CAN YOU IMAGINE? it would've been a NATIONAL CALAMITY- MORGUES FULL, EMERGENCY ROOMS FILLED TO CAPACITY, EISENHOWER FORCED to deliver an EMERGENCY ADDRESS BEFORE A JOINT SESSION OF CONGRESS, HELL, WE MIGHT'VE RE-INVADED KOREA )

And here in the 21st century it's just par for the course in an average viewing of network tv- any time of day.

that's how far we have fallen as society
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:39 am Speaking of obnoxious commercials: the sweater guy in the extremely ageist and offensive "becoming their parents" commercials for another insurance company? I do not understand those commercials at all, except as utterly repulsive. .
I WASHED MY TRASHCANS SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF ONE OF THOSE STYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID COMMERCIALS.

ALSO, YEAH, NO TAKING YOUR OWN GD FOOD ON A PLANE WHEN IT'S TOTALLY ALLOWED YOU DORK!!!!!! GO AHEAD AND BUY IT ALL AT THE AIRPORT!!!!! ENJOY YOUR $24 STALE CINNABON YOU ***HOLE. AND PICK UP SOME $34 DENTAL FLOSS WHILE YOU'RE AT IT
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:33 am

If you want to see a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright designed houses, be sure to visit Oak Park, Illinois if you are ever in the Chicago area.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 8:00 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:57 pm THE GODFATHER (1972) Again. Are there cracks at the seams? I still love that kitty!
For anyone interested: THE GODFATHER seems to have gotten away from THE DARK CLUTCHES of AMC where it was desecrated to HELL every time they ran it: edited for content, truncated, and pumped full of ads to where one 3 hour film fills a six-hour slot.

AMC: HOW MOVIES SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BE SHOWN (TM)

it's recent airing has been on a CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK THAT SHOWS CLASSIC FILMS WITHOUT ADS (who knows for how long though)

** ALTHOUGH, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO FAST FORWARD THROUGH 5 MINUTES AND TEN SECONDS OF INANE PRATTLING FROM A CERTAIN SOMEONE AT THE START OF THE SHOW.

btw- I don't really love THE GODFATHER all that much, but you know what? I like LUCCA BRAZZI. honestly, he's the only character I feel anything for.

The fishes should be lucky for his company.
You're speaking of Ben. i'm still a bit stunned by his intro for The Freshman, on which he started laying on the praise for most of the other scripts that Andrew Bergman was involved in (Blazing Saddles, Fletch, The In-Laws, Honeymoon in Vegas, and Striptease) , but he left out Soapdish! (Admittedly, Robert harling of Steel Magnolias/First Wives Club did the first draft, but still, that's leaving out one of the best, if not the best comedy of the last 35 years)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I caught up with the first of those a few weeks ago when I was going about trying to plug up Oscar-nominated viewing holes. I thought it was pretty dull, grim, and long. Too long.