The Tall T

MikeBSG

The Tall T

Post by MikeBSG »

This Budd Boetticher-Randolph Scott movie (from a story by Elmore Leonard) will be shown on Encore Western tonight, Sept. 15th, at 9:30 PM Eastern.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And it will probably be on more. I like this one. One of the things I like about the Scott westerns is they are compact and usually pretty solid. This one has a good cast of bad guys.

My only drawback is that Maureen O'Sullivan is too whiny. On the other hand it is good to see a woman close to Scott's age that presents a love interest.

At about 80 minutes you can't go wrong if you like westerns.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Posted by me on the General TV and Media thread:

. . . Not having Action Max or recall seeing Man Hunt, I can't remark on that. I do however, know The Tall T. This is the one we've discussed where lovely Maureen O'Sullivan appears so dowdy and Old Maid-ish. But the movie also features Richard Boone (always a plus), and stars Randolph Scott. This is one of those 'silent hero' types of role that Scott played so very well. With very little dialog he manages to let the audience know that no matter how bad it may seem, just give him a couple of minutes and he will take control.

These Budd Boetticher westerns are some of the greatest I've seen. The reason for that is they are perfect for a short time. If you don't want to devote a whole evening to one movie, you can watch 2 or even 3 of these one night and still get to bed by midnight. Or they're great on a Saturday afternoon when everyone is out and you have the house for an hour or two to yourself.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

This was the first time I've ever seen "The Tall T." (did they ever explain why they called it that?) I liked it and put it up there with "Seven Men from Now" and "Commanche Station."

A few things struck me about the film. First, the opening seemed a bit like "Shane," with the little boy saying "someone's coming, Pa," which I think is the first line in "Shane." Also, the kid has Brennan (Scott) buy him some candy. Brennan gets teased about it, but it isn't as big a deal as it is in "Shane." Finally, Henry Silva as Chink seemed to be modeled a bit on Jack Palance in "Shane." At least that's the impression I got.

I loved the dialogue in this movie. The scenes between Scott and Arthur Honeycutt, the guy who played the rancher, and Richard Boone just had some great lines.

The violence in the film surprised me given when the movie was made. Two of the bad guys are killed by shotgun blasts to the face, and we see a lot of blood when the first one gets killed. In fact, that scene reminded me of when the creature gets shot in the head in "Curse of Frankenstein" from 1957. Was there any protest about the violence in "The Tall T"?