Cimmarron

mrsl

Cimmarron

Post by mrsl »

I must be losing it because I swore I had a thread on this movie here. I may have written under the actors names I guess, because I do recall talking about both Glenn Ford and Richard Dix in the part of Yancey.

In any case, both versions are going to be on back to back on Tuesday, and I hope a few of you get to watch and enter your ideas on both films. All I'll say is that I do prefer certain aspect of each one, and after they have been shown I'll get down to more specifics. I hope some of you will join me in discussion.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The 1961 version has popped up on Encore Westerns and Retoplex channels lately. It is being shown in letterbox.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi movieman:

So, which one do you prefer? I have to say I like the 1961 Glenn Ford better, but on the other hand, although I'm not crazy about Irene Dunne in this kind of role, I do prefer her over Maria Shell. I think though, the reason I like Irene is because she is such a lily livered, milquetoast in most of her roles, that this one fits her better. I would see Maria throwing a few coffee pots at Yancey on one of his 'visits' home. That could be my reasoning behind preferring Glenn over Richard. Dix seems much more of a man's man who would go ahead and live that kind of life and expect little wifey to be waiting for him, where Ford remains to me, the Johnny in the first half of Gilda, all smarmy and weak kneed.

But see my post on Heaven with a Gun.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's been a long time since I've seen the 1931 version. I remember it being somewhat creaky. I guess almost anything that long from 1931 would be. I like the idea of Dunne better than Schell and Ford better than Dix.

From what I remember I agree with your thought on Dix's portrayal. Stiff but firm.

I need another look.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."