Oh dear!

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Oh dear!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

LAst night I was coming down the stairs, in the dark, so as not to wake the children and I thought I'd got to the end of the stairs but I hadn't, I fell very heavily on my right foot. It was so painful, I cried out and my husband came and I was in so much pain I just couldn't tell him what part of me I'd hurt. Eventually he managed to pick me up off the floor, give me a drink and we inspected the damage, slightly swollen, I put on ice pack on and tried to stand on it, no go. I had no one for the children so I put up with it thinking it was a sprain, by this morning, a very swollen and black and blue foot. My Dad had to take me down to local doctors surgery, I should have been the one supporting him but I hobbled in, the doctor was so surprised and convinced I'd managed to break my ankle. Four hours spent in casualty and after looking at the X-RAYS I'm one lucky girl, due to regular exercise I have both good bone density and firm muscles. I have torn all the ligaments around my ankle. Gosh it's sore, now I'm going to have to beg and borrow as many favours as I can.

I think I'm going to be a champion hopper.

At least I can catch up a little on my movie watching.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Oh dear is right! Poor Alison. I know all too well from experience how hard it is to be an invalid when you are a mother, especially with young children. I hope you are afforded as much opportunity as possible to stay off your foot.

Take care of yourself.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Alison:

Will this require surgery or months in a cast?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Whoa, a bad weekend for two SSO posters? As you can see here, Bill (Vallo) also took a bad tumble. Hope that you'll be able to spend some guilt-free time watching and reviewing movies as a result of this, Alison...though I'm sure you'll find some way to hobble about after your little ones. Please take care.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Yes Alison, please take as much care as possible! Don't try to do too much too soon, and follow doctor's orders. Under the circumstances, maybe the parents will be willing to chip in with the children.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't got a cast or crutches. I got to see my X-RAYS the bones are completely intact and apparently I have high bone density which is a good thing. It's still a bad injury and I fell with some force on to it. I have to put ice packs on and try to move it, I can move it but cannot put any weight on it. I'm either hopping from room to room which is OK but not if you want to carry a drink, well carry anything come to think of it. I can go upstairs on my knees and come back down on my bottom, like the kids do. The most difficult thing is getting in and out of the house, we don't have big steps but trying to get out without putting pressure on is impossible, so down on my posterior I go again and slide out of my own front door.

I am by nature someone who fidgets and moves around an awful lot, fetching, carrying and all the usual stuff and I hate having to ask for things. My poor husband has gone to the supermarket, brought the kids home from my mothers, made tea, washed up, made packed lunches, fed the cats, put the kids to bed, fetched ice packs, rebandaged my ankle and after all that I feel such a nuisance when I ask for a drink. Well I'm just going to have to get used to it.

I'm on relatively strong painkillers but they think by weekend I'll be able to drive a little and hobble a bit, as opposed to a break when I'd be out of action completely for 6 weeks at least. So I may be able to do a little around the house.

I've always been active and always done some kind of activity, recently I'd taken up body combat and started going to gym once a week to add to the regular swimming and that is what has saved me from a worse injury. Somethng I'd never realised, I always stayed active because it's the kind of thing I've always done. Regular exercise does lead to stronger bones and muscles. The very same thing I had done was done byanother lady of the same age last week and it split her shin bone in two, so I guess I'm lucky.

The moral of my story is if your coming downstairs and it's dark PUT THE LIGHT ON :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I haven't got a cast or crutches. I got to see my X-RAYS the bones are completely intact and apparently I have high bone density which is a good thing.
Why Alison, you must have some Celtic blood !!
feaito

Post by feaito »

Dear Alison,

Thank God for those good bones and muscles of yours. You were indeed lucky, because it was really a a dangerous fall. I wish you a prompt recovery. Take it easy and, as Brenda said, follow the doctor's orders. And yes... watch as many films as you can :wink:
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Allison dear:

You have to be one of the sweetest people in the world. Think of what would go on if the tables had been turned and Mr. CCfan was down. "Honey, can I have something to drink, is there anything sweet that I can nibble on before dinner, can you push the coffee table closer so I can put my feet up, what time is it, what's the weather like today, do you always play the radio that loud, or - - do you always watch TV during the afternoon, why don't you make bigger loads of laundry so you don't have so many, how can I peal potatoes with my foot all bandaged, why can't your Mom bring the kids here so you don't have to leave me alone, can you get me a pillow, will you leave the phone on the end table so I can answer it if you're not home, where is the TV remote, I need a blanket throw because my legs are cool, was there any mail for me, I might need a sponge bath later today, try to keep the kids quiet so I can get a nap, Honey, what's wrong? . . . and after that 10 minutes are up. . . :roll:

Both of my husbands were self sufficient men, but let them get a little germ of some kind, or a sprained bone or muscle, and they both considered it a gift from God if they made it to the next day.

SIT BACK, RELAX, AND ENJOY IT!!!!! - - - Right ladies??????

But, by all means, get well soon!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Whatever you do, don't run around on it a lot. Ice it when you are sitting, and keep it elevated. You might also consider accupuncture. You can make things much worse if you try to do too much too soon.

My wife had a similar injury at work, and was forced to continue working although she was in agony. The result was permanent damage. She now cannot do any kind of work where she has to stand on the foot for over an hour and has to wear a brace. The foot still swells after standing or exercise.

Take care of yourself and listen to what your body tells you.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Allison,

I just now learned of your fall and all I can say is that as bad as it was, it could have been much worse! I'm glad you didn't break your neck or a hip! Take it easy and let your husband play Florence Nightingale for as long as it's necessary (and maybe a little longer if you're a good actress!) Get well real soon and I'm so happy that your spirits maintain their usual optimism. You are indeed a ray of sunshine here at SSO!

As always,

Hollis
melwalton

fall

Post by melwalton »

Charlie Chaplin

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident but thank God you didn't break any bones,
Best wishes for a complete as well as speedy recovery ... mel
Marta

Post by Marta »

charliechaplinfan wrote: The moral of my story is if your coming downstairs and it's dark PUT THE LIGHT ON :wink:

Oh do I know that one very well!!!! *flashes back to her six weeks in a stupid cast*

Take care of yourself Alison. I know exactly how you feel, but you know that anyway. You know my number if you need anything at all. *hugs*
Marta

Post by Marta »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Whatever you do, don't run around on it a lot. Ice it when you are sitting, and keep it elevated. You might also consider accupuncture. You can make things much worse if you try to do too much too soon.

My wife had a similar injury at work, and was forced to continue working although she was in agony. The result was permanent damage. She now cannot do any kind of work where she has to stand on the foot for over an hour and has to wear a brace. The foot still swells after standing or exercise.

I broke my foot in August, and have only been back at work 4 weeks now, I had to ask my boss if I could wear my trainers cause they are the most comfortable and supportive shoes right now. She said yes and I'm very glad I can wear them. My doctor told me that my foot would swell up but my boss was very good, she didn't nag me to come back early or anything, we discussed what was best and I came back on a short shift. I don't think it was fair of your wife's employer to make her continue to work, it's in their best interest if she gets to heal properly. I hope she's ok.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Marta wrote:
Mr. Arkadin wrote:Whatever you do, don't run around on it a lot. Ice it when you are sitting, and keep it elevated. You might also consider accupuncture. You can make things much worse if you try to do too much too soon.

I broke my foot in August, and have only been back at work 4 weeks now, I had to ask my boss if I could wear my trainers cause they are the most comfortable and supportive shoes right now. She said yes and I'm very glad I can wear them. My doctor told me that my foot would swell up but my boss was very good, she didn't nag me to come back early or anything, we discussed what was best and I came back on a short shift. I don't think it was fair of your wife's employer to make her continue to work, it's in their best interest if she gets to heal properly. I hope she's ok.
It was the USPS. There's a reason people go crazy working there.