Day of the Outlaw Early 7/19!

Mr. Arkadin

Day of the Outlaw Early 7/19!

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

You'll have to have the Encore Western channel to catch this one, but it will be snowing there early tomorrow!
mrsl

Re: Day of the Outlaw Early 7/19!

Post by mrsl »

Thanks Mr. A. I missed it this time around but Encore does rerun quite a bit and I will surely catch it. I checked it out on imdB and it looks like except for Robert Ryan, the whole cast is made up of 1950's TV personalities.

I wanted to mention that I love Westerns, I think you know, but they're not often filmed on ranches and on the range during the snow - that should be fun :!: :!: :!: :roll: :lol:

kidding, kidding, I kid a lot.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Mr. A: You are a sly devil :!: Here I thought I was teasing you because I thought for once, you had made a typo, but the movie is done in the snow. You typed "it will be snowing there early tomorrow" and I thought you meant s h owing. Chalk another check off for me.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, there was lots of snow.

I saw this one this A.M. for the first time, and I thought it pretty good, though not great.

Directed by Andre de Toth, it stars Robert Ryan as the "ruthless cattleman" (that's what the TV description said) who is at odds with the Wyoming homesteaders he shares territory with. However, everyone has to pull together in the wake of an invasion by a gang of misfits and army deserters on the run from the law. It's a sort of old west The Wild One, only the gang's leader is Burl Ives. There were many good performances (Ryan, of course), but the movie lacked the tightness and tension it should have had. The B&W cinematography was, on the whole, quite beautiful. Lots of good character turns as well. One really good scene involved a very nervous and sweaty Dabs Greer, as the town vet, removing a bullet from the chest of badman Ives. Ives refused the whiskey anesthetic proffered by barber Elisha Cooke, Jr., and commanded Ryan to talk to him as a distraction. Ives was, I think, the standout in this movie, a really strong performance as the smoldering ex-army outlaw who keeps his somewhat psychotic gang members in line by sheer strength of will. I think this was the best performance I've seen from Ives.

Tina Louise, in an old west pushup bra, was seriously outclassed by everyone else in the movie, even David Nelson (you know, Ricky Nelson's brother).

The final scenes of the gang, led by Ryan, making its way in the deep snow on horseback to try to cross the trackless mountains were the most riveting to watch, and man, those horses were not happy.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Anne and Judith! This is one of my favorite westerns. My old write up on it is here:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=1&t=2008

Judith, if you liked this one, you also might enjoy a movie it influenced, The Great Silence (1968), although it's a more brutal film:

[youtube][/youtube]