Coming Up on TCM

Discussion of programming on TCM.
charliechaplinfan

Re: Coming Up on TCM

Post by charliechaplinfan »

JackFavell wrote:If I record a good copy Alison I can send it to you. I really will! Promise.
Thank you Wendy. Thanks for the review Kingme, that's what I expected from Bitter Rice, I hope everyone else enjoyed it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Did somebody just mention John Alton?

Wednesday night, TCM is having a tribute to the Master of Light and Shadow.

ChiO's completely objective and unbiased ratings:

1. THE BIG COMBO
2. BORDER INCIDENT
3. REIGN OF TERROR aka THE BLACK BOOK

4. HOLLOW TRIUMPH aka THE SCAR

5. TEA AND SYMPATHY

6. DESIGNING WOMAN

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... ilit=alton
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've only seen Tea and Sympathy and Border Incident.

Border Incident is a not always successful movie that I really like a lot, mainly for the beautiful stark cinematography, the gritty direction, and for Ricardo Montalban's performance. He's excellent, playing a decent role for once. I sat glued to the TV the first time I saw it. I couldn't look away, mainly because of the set ups and lighting, and had to find out immediately who directed. It's a fascinatingly beautiful movie with the threat of some awful violence throughout. Those of you who don't like musicals can get your revenge here.

I remember your post on Reign of Terror from a year or so ago, so I will be recording for sure. I had The Big Combo set up to watch in my Netflix queue - now I can get my own copy.
Hillworth

Post by Hillworth »

I'm looking forward to seeing THE MASK OF DIMITRIOS (1944) tonight at 8 PM EST, as it's been many years now.

Can't pass up an opportunity to see Lorre and Greenstreet sharing the screen.
"I want to live, but I want to vanish. I want to go away and change my name and never be heard of again."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

On tap in these parts today:

2:15 p.m. (CST) -- EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS (Fred Sears 1956) -- a movie that gave me nightmares for days

10:45 p.m. (CST) -- MY NAME IS JULIA ROSS (Joseph H. Lewis 1945) -- my favorite Lewis movie after, of course, GUN CRAZY and THE BIG COMBO, and the one that brought him his first real notice. I read somewhere that it has been restored and TCM is packaging it with three other movies for release on DVD later this year. If so, maybe it will be a better print tonight than the one TCM has previously shown.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just came home and turned on the TV.... flying saucers have taken out the Washington Monument! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Wait til they find it's broken.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ChiO wrote:On tap in these parts today:
2:15 p.m. (CST) -- EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS (Fred Sears 1956) -- a movie that gave me nightmares for days
JackFavell wrote:I just came home and turned on the TV.... flying saucers have taken out the Washington Monument! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! :D
movieman1957 wrote:Wait til they find it's broken.

This is one my favorite sci-fi/horror movies of all times; because its showcased the wizardry of Ray Harryhausen in EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS. This movie and many others like this defined the 1950's era. When I was growing up I wanted to know who was responsible in making the grooviest special effects in this movie that was shown today on TCM. I went to my local library and discovered that RAY HARRYHAUSEN was chiefly responsible for the stylish and realistic special effects in this classic movie in the 50's.

I'm a big fan of RAY HARRYHAUSEN!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

kingrat wrote:Some unusual films are coming up in the next few days on TCM. You know I'll be checking out some of these.

Monday, November 7 (or Sunday night on the West Coast)

THE COCKLESHELL HEROES (1955), directed by and starring Jose Ferrer, with Trevor Howard and Dora Bryan. A British major leads a suicide mission to take out a German shipyard in occupied France. Set in 1942 and based on a true story. Dora Bryan played the mother in A TASTE OF HONEY.
I will be recording this movie off my DVR ... because a friend of mine wants me to watch it and see whether I like it or not! Kingrat, thanks for reminding me!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And Silent Sunday night has 4 Laurel and Hardy silent short films.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I would love to know what you think of The Moon and Sixpence, KR.