The Misfits

stuart.uk

The Misfits

Post by stuart.uk »

The Misfits was an outstanding film, but is a bit eerie to watch as all the cast, save Eli Wallace, including Thelma Ritter died young.

Clark Gable had a massive heart attack not long after the completion of filming and died a few days later in hospital. It's been suggested Marylyn Monroe's unprofessionalism or more likely the fact he did his own stunts, roping a mustang, led to his attack. That got me thinking of Montgomerie Clift. Monty, who wasn't in the best of health did his own stunts in the later Defector, including swimming fully clothed in what I assume was a cold river. I wonder if doing that stunt in anyway contributed to his fatal heart attack at the young age of 46, though admittedly he probably would still have died young anyway regardless of the film.

The Misfits IMO seems to mirror both MM and in particulary Clift. Clift who a few yrs earlier nearly died in a horrific car accident (He was save by Elizabeth Taylor. I wonder if saving Clift's life was her finest hour, instead of any of her movies) Clift's character to me was a cowboy, whose body had ben broken due to yrs of rodeo riding. Then he was injured again in the movie with another rodeo fall.

MMs Rosalind was IMO a punch drunk divorcee, trying to pick up the pieces and get on with life. I wonder if this mirrored her divorce from Joe Dimagio and her marriage problems with Arthur Miller.

MM was terrific. She was no dumb blonde as she tore a strip of Wallace for saying he'd stop the roping of the mustangs, if she'd go of with him. To her he was being hypocritical.

One wonders what might have happened, if Gable and also Gary Cooper, who died at about the same age of 60, had another ten yrs. I think they would have matched the likes of John Wayne, who did a lot of good stuff in that period of his life.

I have spoken to admirers of Arthur Miller as regards his plays, Death Of A Salesman for example, but have never heard of The Misfits, a story he wrote for his wife MM. However, MM is as far as I believe on record as saying director John Huston tampered with the script and spoiled what her husband was trying to put across.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stuart! You know The Misfits is one of my top three favorite films of all time. I love the theme of a time passing by for Gable's character. of drifting, of finding a place for oneself and how different people get together to band against loneliness. I think it's one of Huston's best directed films because all the elements come together to create a visually reflective, deeply felt work.

There is that deeper melancholy thrown over it by the early deaths of the three leads. It must have been really heavy for audiences who went to see it upon it's initial release.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Miss G

You know the last time I watched The Misfits, I tried to imagine MM was still alive or at least lived to a ripe old age. It made me look at her Rosalind in a more positive note.

I got a vidoe of an MM Doc, presented by James Coburn with what would have been the first half hour of Somethings Gotta Give. I saw both the unedited and edited version of her nude scene by the pool. The unedited version was stunning. It wasn't just the fact she was naked, but a giggling MM gave the impression she was enjoying herself. By todays standards it's done with the best possible taste, but maybe a 1962 audience might not have seen it that way. Cyd Charisse if anything would have been IMO an improvement on Gail Patrick's great performance as the other wife in My Favourite Wife.

I learned that while MM had been fired as I already knew, she was later reinstated under the agreement Paula Strausberg would not be on the set and George Cukor would be replaced. Her doctor gave an interesting account of how she thought she died. She was in good form taking to her step son from her marriage to Joe Diamagio, but something made her depressed enough to attempt suicide. However, having taking her pills, she changed her mind while going under and called Peter Lawford. Sadly for both hers and Lawford's sake he didn't act to it right away. He did however, call someone, who then called MMs housekeeper. The housekeeper said MM was alright without checking on her, only to find her dead the next morning
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stu,

I have seen that documentary as well as the patched up version of
Something's Got to Give. I like the scenes by the pool with the children,
I think she was sweet with kids.

Cyd Charisse looked incredibly beautifuly in SGTG. I loved the
wardrobe for both ladies, very elegant.

What might have been indeed.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss G

Marilyn's white hair, instead of her usual blonde IMO made her more beautiful than ever. She looked in the shape of her life. agree about the wardrobe, I thought Cyd looked great in her trouser outfit, but thought MM could have worn a sailors outfit the way Irene Dunne had done in her first scene in the original, just for the sake of realism

Marilyn reminds me of Jean Arthur. Both were insecure frightened women, as regards appearing in front of a camera. As far as I believe MM often wouldn't leave her trailor unless she was ready, while Jean would be violently sick, but she'd still arrive on set on time, usually giving a great performance
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Maybe it's just me but I don't like to think she commited suicide rather she took an accidental overdose. It's very sad and I think Marilyn would have continued playing some great character and supporting roles.

Something's Got To Give would have been great to watch.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin