Terror in a Texas Town (1958)

moira finnie
Administrator

Terror in a Texas Town (1958)

Post by moira finnie »

Terror in a Texas Town (1958), which airs at 4:30pm EDT on TCM today (Sept. Eighteenth) is the final feature film directed by one of my favorite cult figures of film noir, Joseph H. Lewis, (though he was equally adept at making formulaic westerns sing with his imaginative touches and gift for action sequences with dramatic import).

Lewis may be best remembered for the remarkable studies of criminal minds in Gun Crazy (1950) and The Big Combo (1955), but he was a very good low budget Western director when it came a couple of pretty good Randolph(*sigh*)Scott flicks too, A Lawless Street (1955) and 7th Calvary (1956) and dozens of tv oaters, notably The Rifleman series.
Though I've never seen Terror in a Texas Town, since I've started to enjoy Sterling Hayden's appearances in films as he became more weatherbeaten, (and cynical), the off kilter premise of this movie intrigues me. First, there is the mano a mano standoff between Sterling and a bigwig in a town run by--get this--an evil Sebastian Cabot! (Yes, maybe Mr. French finally kicks a**!). Second, Hayden spurns such mechanized death dealers as the six shooter or the shotgun in favor of a truly unique weapon of choice: a harpoon!

'Nuff said by me, though I hope that others will chime in with opinions on this intriguing if odd sounding movie.
Sterling in a showdown with his not so little friend, a harpoon. Hey, wouldn't he have made a fine Captain Ahab?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Oh! I think I remember I saw this picture some years back! :shock: I remember vividly the harpoon: a rather strange tool for a cowboy!!! :lol: 8)