Film Festivals

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Film Festivals

Post by movieman1957 »

If anyone lives around or will be in the DC area next month the AFI Theater in Silver Spring MD is having a noir festival.

Some include popular films around here and there is a restored 50th anniversary print of "Vertigo."

http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplayin ... /noir.aspx
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Film Festivals

Post by moira finnie »

You are going to at least one of these screenings , aren't you, Chris?? You're so close.

I saw Vertigo on the big screen when a batch of Hitchcock movies were released to theaters in the early '80s, along with Rear Window. Both need to be seen in a theater.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm hoping. The 23rd looks like a good day, all day. I saw "Vertigo" and "Rear Window" about the same time you did but I've never seen anything else on the schedule in a theater. I'm only about 45 minutes away but the films I always want to see seem to be run late weeknights. I've never been to this theater but I want to go for some of these.

They recently had a Joel McCrea run of films and they are finishing up a Chaplin collection but circumstances get in the way.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh, I hope you can go, Chris, to at least one screening!

Joel McCrea movies? How wonderful and unusual.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

As ChiO mentioned (at that other place), Cry Terror (1958) is a nice little film. Not a masterpiece by any means, but if you like these actors, it's a enjoyable ride to see them play off each other. It's also OOP at this time.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on September 15th, 2010, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And, I might add, that the focus on Andrew Stone at your version of the Noir City Tour makes it, in my view, more exciting than the version that came through Chicago this summer. GUN CRAZY was the only film I bothered with.

Did I mention that GUN CRAZY is the greatest film noir ever made? Just checkin' to see if you're awake.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

Film festivals do not exist north of Boston/East of Albany/South of Montreal.
Except for when Ken Burns needs a tax write-off . . . and then they only feature documentaries. :cry:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO:

I do recall you mentioned "Gun Crazy" at least once.

Klondike:

If I get to go I'll save you a seat. The AFI has different things every month. Maybe it's a good thing I don't live around the corner.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm pondering.... :wink:

Is the TCM Film Festival, lovely as it is, out of your price range? Is flying across the country a little more than you can handle? Does the thought of enjoying films with other Oasis members still appeal to you? If so, then come to Mom and Dad's house!!!

I am pleased to announce the 2011 JCT Film Festival to be held in Severna Park MD sometime next year. Located in an upscale neighborhood just south of the Earleigh Heights Fire Department their home is graced with a pretty good size den, a 55" TV and a kitchen big enough we could all get in. It will serve as a comfortable gathering place for those of us left behind.

We will watch great films. (Bring your favorite DVD.) We will have great snacks (Everything from crab melts to M&Ms) and beverages that range from Dad's secret punch to wine. (I am no drinker so you'll have to provide a list so we can take care of it.)

Panel discussions and interviews with each other will highlight our time together. Video remembrances provided by children or grandchildren who will talk about you are very welcome.

Meals can be arranged. They are likely to include a deli tray, a cook out and, if I can persuade her, a fine Italian meal from the hands of my bride.

Additional entertainment may well be provided by Mom (and me) at the piano while we enjoy some time getting acquainted.

So let Carolann and I (and my parents) be your hosts for a fun long weekend of a film festival on the economy plan.

We can make it happen ------- As soon as I ask my mommy. :)
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Gee, Chris, that sounds like so much fun! Since I am smack dab in the middle of the country, it probably wouldn't be as expensive for me as it would for others. Let us know if Mom says it's ok....then set a date!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

What's the approximate driving time from, say, Dulles to, say, Severna Park? Possible combo of visiting Granddaughter Naomi (oh, and her parents, I suppose) and a film festival? Or...will your brother be driving from Chicago for the Festival?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:
I am sure I can persuade Mom.

ChiO:
The drive from Dulles all depends on when you take it. If it is "rush" hour it is two hours at least. Non peak time would be about an hour and fifteen minutes or so. We're about 15 minutes north of Annapolis. My brother is more likely to be here by accident, he comes back fairly frequently, than for any film festival. (He is not the fan we are.)
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You're asking for trouble from all sides, Chris. But, boy, is that tempting.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Can you imagine??? Kind of makes you nervous, doesn't it? Boy, Howdee, what a time! Of course being in Mom and Dad's house MIGHT hold the boisterous behavior to a minimum......nah, if the 3 Amigos show up.....zowie....
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:
Mom might really like if we watched Susan Hayward's "Back Street."

Moira:
Mom wouldn't give me any trouble. I can out run her. Carolann already likes the idea. Lasagna is her specialty.
Chris