Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
MissGoddess

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm a girl and my main reason for liking Jane so much in the sixties is her looks! I thought she had a real Bardot thing happening, and I love B.B.'s style in the 60s. Maybe because I've always wanted super thick, full hair and lips! :D Jane became a better actress later on but I can't say I care much for her serious stuff. Too self-conscious and no fun. Though her reporter in The Electric Horseman was kind of funny, and reunited the two performers who were so good together in Barefoot in the Park.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I like Jane's looks and sometimes her acting, particularly in Barefoot in the Park, The Dollmaker, and Comes a Horseman, but I just don't think that she was comfortable in her own skin in her early years on camera.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

JackFavell wrote:
Lloyd Nolan and nice pits don't automatically become synonymous in my mind, but he does look good in this movie! This is the one that's a remake of the Jimmy Cagney Pat O'Brien THE IRISH IN US, I think? Almost a shot for shot steal in that underwear scene. I can't think of anyone who is better at playing Pat O'Brien than Lloyd Nolan.

STEEL AGAINST THE SKY is a remake of THE IRISH IN US? Somehow I don't think Pat looks as good as Lloyd in his skivvies. Nolan is one of those actors, like Chester Morris, who you wouldn't automatically assume has a fine upper body. I have the feeling they both boxed a bit in their younger days. (Richard Dix is probably among this group)

Did anyone catch THE BABY last night? Ruth Roman (looking and sounding like a truckdriver in drag, bless her) was born to play this mother, lol. The surprise ending knocked me for a loop. But then, my mouth was hanging open pretty much from start to finish.

I was loving listening to Stan and Ollie in Spanish and especially French, last night. Particularly when the normally frustrated Ollie takes a more Gallic philosophical approach to Stan's incompetence: "C'est la vie!" To add to our national discussion, I feel there should also be a shotgun ban for Laurel & Hardy wives...
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 19th, 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Jane Fonda...what a pretty girl she was in the 1960's:

ImageImageImage

The first time I saw her was when my parents took us to see "CAT BALLOU." I think she's grown into her acting and I have enjoyed many of her performances.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

April, I love that you say "I'm a girl." I thought of the way Natalie Wood says it in "Miracle on 34th Street."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:April, I love that you say "I'm a girl." I thought of the way Natalie Wood says it in "Miracle on 34th Street."
I can't remember her saying that line...I'll have to pay attention for that next time I see the movie! :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

MissGoddess wrote:I'm a girl and my main reason for liking Jane so much in the sixties is her looks! I thought she had a real Bardot thing happening, and I love B.B.'s style in the 60s. Maybe because I've always wanted super thick, full hair and lips! :D Jane became a better actress later on but I can't say I care much for her serious stuff. Too self-conscious and no fun. Though her reporter in The Electric Horseman was kind of funny, and reunited the two performers who were so good together in Barefoot in the Park.

Barefoot in the Park was adorable, and Redford brought out her more likable qualities in The Electric Horseman. But I think my favorite early Jane is Sunday in New York. I just adore that film, the script(Norman Krasna), the characters, and the clothes(Orry-Kelly)! Oh, and ...Rod Taylor!
Look for this outfit in The Chapman Report...
(Sorry I couldn't reduce the photo on the ipad!)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Just saw her in the outfit. Looking good.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

I've always thought she was one of the sexiest and most beautiful women ever....but with her talent she surpassed that exclusive notion, enhancing her appeal as an actres and movie star. She was particularly fetching in Barbarella and Walk on the Wild Side (a cult film I own on DVD and should revisit soon) with the great Stanwyck.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like her much better in her early films,especially Tall Story, Sunday in New York, Cat Ballou and Barefoot in the Park. I like Barbarella, They Shoot Horses Don't They, and Klute. After that I don't really care for her as much. I watched Period of Adjustment the other day, and though the movie itself nearly drove me mad, I thought she did a really fine job for a budding starlet. It's a tough movie to sell, but she and Jim Hutton were darn good. Even Tony F. did a good job, it was just a very grating story.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: STEEL AGAINST THE SKY is a remake of THE IRISH IN US? Somehow I don't think Pat looks as good as Lloyd in his skivvies. Nolan is one of those actors, like Chester Morris, who you wouldn't automatically assume has a fine upper body. I have the feeling they both boxed a bit in their younger days. (Richard Dix is probably among this group)
I remember Lloyd being far more likable and attractive in his BVD's than Pat. I really felt for the guy. Steel Against the Sky has Alexis Smith right? As the girl invited over while Lloyd is locked out of his room in his underwear? I'm almost positive it's a remake of the Cagney/O'Brien pic. I was watching it one day, and I suddenly realized I'd seen the underwear scene before. It took all my might to figure out where.
I was loving listening to Stan and Ollie in Spanish and especially French, last night. Particularly when the normally frustrated Ollie takes a more Gallic philosophical approach to Stan's incompetence: "C'est la vie!" To add to our national discussion, I feel there should also be a shotgun ban for Laurel & Hardy wives...
I didn't think Spanish suited Ollie at all, he seemed far too angry speaking in Spanish. Though Stanley retained his ridiculous vocal inflections somehow. Lordy, the wives almost crack me up more than the boys lately. It's so great when you've already seen them a hundred times, but there the boys are, plotting a getaway for the umpteenth time. It never gets old, and in fact I think it enhances the films when you know there is going to be a reaction shot of a wife, burning with the red hot flame of "I'll show you".
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Bronxie and Jackie, I was able to watch El Gordo y El Flaco in Spanish during our travels in Mexico, and they seemed much funnier and livelier in Spanish! There is just something about hearing them in another language like that that makes them even cuter!

'Nando, I like Jane Fonda in Walk on the Wild Side. I felt that she actually had a role that she could evolve in. The hard part of that film for me to grasp is Lawrence Harvey as a Texas boy. Hmmmn... But he is always a joy to watch in motion. Capucine is so lovely to watch as the tortured Hallie because you can see why someone would keep looking for her.
I saw that film when I was 12 or 13 and didn't understand any of it. We had lived in New Orleans, and my Mom kept changing the subject when I would ask one of "those" questions. I think I understand it a little better now. :lol:

Did anyone have a chance to relish The Chapman Report?
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Chester Morris, who you wouldn't automatically assume has a fine upper body...my mouth was hanging open pretty much from start to finish. (Edited for content.)

Period of Adjustment...It's a tough movie to sell

A comedy by Tennessee Williams? Yes, that's a tough one! Jane sure got the looks in her family. Dad had pleasing features. Brother Peter looked cool on a motorcycle. But Little Jane...wow!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

She really does have a Bardot look about her, all soft and curvy, young and dewy eyed. Pouty. I'll admit that I like to look at her, even though I'm a girl. Which is where this conversation started!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

A Tennessee Williams comedy is definitely a tough sell! :-)