Bad Movies You Love

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Bronxgirl48

Re: Bad Movies You Love

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Bronxie, Victor surely did do justice to a suit.

Definitely, SueSue!

Robert Mitchum used to joke that he got all of Victor Mature's cast-off suits to wear in his films.

LOL This I did not know.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:
kingme wrote:
Bronxgirl48 wrote:I prefer Mature in these early roles, and in MY GAL SAL he looks uncharacteristically slim and "artistic" -- he's sexier to me covered up. Oh, don't get me wrong, I can appreciate his beautiful Italian beefcake in the gladiator movies, but Vic looks dreamy (and steamy) in 19th century American duds. (also MY DARLING CLEMENTINE)

In MY GAL SAL ... Bronxgirl48 ... about 4-6 months prior to this movie Victor Mature lost 20 pounds due to his Military Training for World War Two as a Volunteer. I believe he was in US Navy Auxiliary ... so did Rita.

Ah-ha, king! Thanks for the behind the scenes info on trim SAL Vic! He certainly looked delectable and kind of sweet. (the perfect Valentine)

Your Welcome ... Anytime!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I gotta chime in about the uber-bland Lee Bowman...How did this guy get in so many movies? His acting is just fair, his looks are nothing to write home about, he's not interesting in any way...I don't get it!

One of my favorite Rita Hayworth movies is Cover Girl--how do they expect us to believe that Rita would entertain the thought for ONE SECOND that maybe she'd rather be married to Bowman than Gene Kelly? Yeah, Kelly's character is a bit self-centered and brutish, but, seriously? Sex appeal for days! AND it seems like the Otto Kruger character is actually the other man in this triangle. I could see any gal being swept up in Kruger's suave silvery charm. Or maybe that's just me!

Sandy K
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Sandy...I have to think that every last single dadblasted male was in the military at the time. I'll never forget him in "My Dream Is Yours" with Doris Day. Oh my.

No way. Sorry, Lee.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Robert Regan

Post by Robert Regan »

Theresa, some years back, the whole family was watching a Warner Brothers movie from the early forties. About five minutes after Dennis Morgan appeared, ten-year old Sally asked, "Wartime?"
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:lol: A chip off the old block I see. And she's soooo right.

The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

Sigh... Poor Lee.

I'm inclined to think what he had just didn't translate to the screen. Back in 2008, as comments ran on at a blog called Coffee coffee and more coffee, an acquaintance of Bowman's recalled him, saying, "I didn't know Lee well, but the little that I did, I thought him a terrific guy." ( The whole conversation, centering on Louis Hayward with asides regarding Bowman and Alan Curtis, can be found here: http://www.coffeecoffeeand ... /2008/05/the_louis_haywa.html )

I do find Lee Bowman charming in "Dancing Co-Ed"--though it is Roscoe Karns, in that film, who has my heart.

Sandy K: What a beautifully spoken appeal for the "suave silvery charm" of Otto Kruger! I'll be remembering that come the next viewing of "Cover Girl". Or... Say, where did I put that copy of "The Women in His Life"...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh I love Roscoe Karns. Image
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Look what I found -- Lee Bowman on t.v.! "Miami Undercover"! With Rocky Graziano and Larry King! Now, I grew up with "Surfside 6" but I never heard of this particular show. Lee ("most people think I'm a playboy"), giving off a bleary, Barrymore-in-decline vibe, and with a weird facial tic, is still reliably uninteresting and wooden.

I might check him out in THE IMPATIENT YEARS, but only because Jean Arthur's in it.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Submitted for your approval: WHEN TIME RAN OUT. Has anyone seen this doo-doo fest? (excuse my French) And I thought AIRPORT 1975 was terrible -- this one takes the cake. Irwin Allen on auto-pilot. Paper-mache volcano, Paul Newman looking like he needs a rheumatologist; a burning coal-eyed mummy standing in for poor William Holden (he also bears more than a passing resemblance to one of Norma Desmond's waxworks). Bill not only has an s.o.b. son-in-law to deal with (handsome but basilisk-eyed James Franciscus -- I did have a crush on him in "Mr. Novak" back in the day -- inexplicably enjoying himself to the hilt as an opportunistic sleaze married to Veronica Hamel (hair and lip gloss masquerading as a woman) but carrying on with mannikin Barbara Carrera, who opens her mouth and you cannot understand ONE WORD she is saying) but must contend with yet another bridge, only this one is like a Disneyland attraction. ("Try to get across without falling into the lava flow!") Then there's the devoted, former circus high-wire couple in the twilight of their lives -- Burgess Meredith and ailing wife Valentina Cortese, who sighs "Doesn't this remind you of Portofino?" while gazing nostalgically at some Fantasy Island Hollywood back lot. We sense some kind of uneasy fashion foreshadowing, with Val covered, protectively it somehow seems, in colorful, "creative", Fellini-esque head scarves (although apparently it's Cortese's ticker that's the problem) and, downing medication, she ponders, "But how do all the pills know where to go?" Ah, yes, she's Garbo in GRAND HOTEL: fragile, ironic, weary, charming, and....doomed! (but you already knew that) Red Buttons (who always looked to me like he just strolled out of a Florida retirement condo, even in SAYONARA) as some sort of mild-mannered, misunderstood (or maybe not, but who cares?) David Wayne HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE type embezzler persued by hearty old Ernest Borgnine; chubby, blonde, blowsy Sheila Allen (Irwin's wife, and in a muu muu throughout, not what one wants to be wearing while escaping a disaster) who appears to be the Shelley Winters substitute; Edward Albert, hotel clerk and tropical island "native", standing around doing essentially nothing; Jacqueline Bisset with one expression on her lovely face: boredom. (that's why she and Paul make perfect lovers)
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on March 22nd, 2013, 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Ugh, Bronxgirl - terrible, horrible movie. Shoulda been titled WHEN IRWIN ALLEN'S CAREER RAN OUT. Saw it starting with THE SWARM, then BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, but WHEN TIME RAN OUT is the absolute pits. Dull storyline (despite the cast), very little suspense (in Allen's earlier disaster epics, one generally cared about the fates of the main characters - here - blah). Pathetic special effects. Makes EARTHQUAKE! look like a masterpiece in comparison. Really should have asked for a refund as I did with the Dennis Hopper borefest MAD DOG MORGAN.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

If you dare...

...if you're brave.

Saturday - March 24th, 2013 - 9:00AM

I can't wait. But I won't look him in the eyes.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Western Guy wrote:Ugh, Bronxgirl - terrible, horrible movie. Shoulda been titled WHEN IRWIN ALLEN'S CAREER RAN OUT. Saw it starting with THE SWARM, then BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, but WHEN TIME RAN OUT is the absolute pits. Dull storyline (despite the cast), very little suspense (in Allen's earlier disaster epics, one generally cared about the fates of the main characters - here - blah). Pathetic special effects. Makes EARTHQUAKE! look like a masterpiece in comparison. Really should have asked for a refund as I did with the Dennis Hopper borefest MAD DOG MORGAN.

WG, a reviewer on the IMDB board for WTRO says he's seen better special effects on any given episode of "Bewitched". "Lost in Space" is also mentioned, lol. I forgot to include Pat Morita, who, along with his Shelley Winters lookalike muu muu wife, runs a brothel on the island. Oil riggers drop by when they want to do a little drilling. Yes, EARTHQUAKE does look like a masterpiece by comparison, ha! Paul Newman is so disengaged that I wouldn't be surprised to discover he consulted a yogi during production in order to transcend time and space while filming this turkey. His body is with us (rather stiff and creaky, though as a female I'm still grateful...) but those sexy baby blues are off in some other galaxy, far, far away. Oooh, now I want to see THE SWARM and BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE. I think I'll skip MAD DOG MORGAN, lol.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

I'll say this for THE SWARM. Whereas WHEN TIME RAN OUT is painfully boring, there are a lot of unintentional laughs in the "bee picture" - from ridiculous situations to incredibly inane dialogue. Oh - and the special effects are only slightly better than WTRO. In short, has a better entertainment value if you catch it in the right mood.