I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Feinberg wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:58 am I saw Thorold Dickinson's The Queen of Spades (1949) with Anton Walbrook, Edith Evans and Yvonne Mitchell last night at the BFI Southbank. Apparently this was once considered a lost film but is now enjoying a 4K restoration run in London. I really enjoyed it. The notes accompanying the film said that it was panned when it was initially released as it ran against the then current neo realist grain. Both Walbook and Evans "go for it" with their highly dramatic performances, with Evans looking a bit like Quenin Crisp as Elizabeth I. For me, Anthony Dawson and Athene Seyler were two stand outs in the cast. The film has plenty of room for great bit parts performed by solid British character actors.
You probably already know this, but Quentin Crisp did play Elizabeth I in ORLANDO (adapted from the novel by Virginia Woolf). Tilda SWinton played the title role.

nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

LawrenceA wrote: December 30th, 2022, 11:19 am
Feinberg wrote: December 30th, 2022, 1:58 am I saw Thorold Dickinson's The Queen of Spades (1949) with Anton Walbrook, Edith Evans and Yvonne Mitchell last night at the BFI Southbank. Apparently this was once considered a lost film but is now enjoying a 4K restoration run in London. I really enjoyed it. The notes accompanying the film said that it was panned when it was initially released as it ran against the then current neo realist grain. Both Walbook and Evans "go for it" with their highly dramatic performances, with Evans looking a bit like Quenin Crisp as Elizabeth I. For me, Anthony Dawson and Athene Seyler were two stand outs in the cast. The film has plenty of room for great bit parts performed by solid British character actors.
Nice to hear this. I've been wanting to see this one for a while now.
I watched it yesterday,very good , unusual film for the period set in 1806,too bad it was not shown on TCM's tribute to Anton a few weeks ago.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

HoldenIsHere wrote: December 30th, 2022, 2:25 pm
You probably already know this, but Quentin Crisp did play Elizabeth I in ORLANDO (adapted from the novel by Virginia Woolf). Tilda SWinton played the title role.

Yes, that is why I made this comparison with Edith Evans in Queen of Spades (1949).
I cannot recall if TCM has shown the restored copy of this yet? It was well worth seeing. Anton Walbrook is one of my favourites and I always enjoy seeing Anthony Dawson too.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

The Poseidon Adventure (1972) DVD-9/10

A handful of survivors try to escape a capsized luxury liner.

The greatest of all disaster films. The cast is excellent, although many are big Oscar winning stars, they disappear into their characters here. Gene Hackman (rebellious minister), Ernest Borgnine (angry cop), Stella Stevens (his ex hooker wife), Shelley Winters and Jack Albertson (old Jewish couple), Red Buttons (shy bachelor), Carol Lynley (terrified singer), Roddy McDowall (Scottish waiter), Pamela Sue Martin and Eric Shea (teenage girl and her precocious younger brother).

I watched this last night, a great one for New Year's Eve. I first saw it in a theater when it was originally released. I was 11 years old but watched wide eyed and open mouthed throughout, I still find it engrossing today.

Any other fans of this one?
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

When they have karaoke night on the TCM Cruise, make certain you sing "The Morning After".
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Fedya wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am When they have karaoke night on the TCM Cruise, make certain you sing "The Morning After".

OK, this is going to be my LOL gif ^^^ since I read this forum while drinking my morning coffee.

Sad to say I've never seen The Poseidon Adventure.
I have a debilitating fear of suffocation and can't watch movies that contain any heavy water scenes. Some movies like One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, I can just leave the room when "the scene" is on. (the spectre of childhood violence/assaults)
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

I have a debilitating fear of suffocation and can't watch movies that contain any heavy water scenes.
So The Heroes of Telemark is right out for you, too. What a shame.
Detective Jim McLeod

Fedya wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:23 am When they have karaoke night on the TCM Cruise, make certain you sing "The Morning After".
:lol:
And I love to do karaoke, never thought of singing "Morning After", my go to song is probably Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) by Green Day.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Some spoilers ahead...

I just watched The Fabelmans (2022), Steven Spielberg's semi-autobiographical coming of age film. The film deals with young Sammy (Gabriel LaBelle), who becomes obsessed with making movies after his parents Burt and Mitzi (Paul Dano and Michelle Williams) take the six-year old to see The Greatest Show on Earth (1952). The film deals with Sammy's increasing obsession with filmmaking, whilst at the same time focusing on the drama of his family life, particularly the tension between his parents and their friend Bennie (Seth Rogen), with whom Mitzi may be having an affair. (Sammy learns of the affair through the lens, as he's shooting a family film. Reminds me of Blow-Up, a photographer discovering something in addition to what he's shooting.)

I liked the film, with reservations. Unlike almost everyone, I did not like the performances of Dano and Williams, and I found many of the other characters to be flat stereotypes (particularly Jeannie Berlin in the small role as the grandmother, a role which could have been truer to type had it been written by Clifford Odets or even Fran Drescher. Judd Hirsch, however, gives a compelling performance as aged Uncle Boris). Spielberg wrote the screenplay with Tony Kushner, whom I've always felt to be a lesser writer, in terms of character roundness, than he's given credit for. A dinner scene in the movie reminds me of a dinner scene in Kushner's play, Caroline or Change, in which an extended argumentative Jewish family behave in a way that would make Odets cringe. (Kushner, whom I've never met, lives across the street from me. I have enjoyed his work on stage, despite what I see as his inability to create what E.M. Forster might call "round" characters, particularly in the supporting roles.)

In addition to dealing with the family issues, the film deals with anti-Semitism and bullying, in somewhat cliched ways. The segments of the movie that I did like, deal with Sammy's yearning and attempts to become a filmmaker. Gabriel LaBelle is fine in the lead role. One of the funniest scenes features Sammy's seduction by a religious Christian girl, who seems to be attracted to Sammy because, like Jesus, he's a "cute Jewish boy."

Those of us who love movies may find that the The Fabelmans final scene is among the best. Young Sammy is taken to meet his idol, John Ford, beautifully played by David Lynch. The cranky old Ford asked Sammy to identify the horizon on two of the paintings on the wall of Ford's office. The very last shot of the film shows Sammy leaving Ford's office, exhilarated. As the movie ends, the horizon in the shot moves, in a way that Ford would have approved of. (Btw, the scene with Ford is evidently an accurate depiction of what really happened.)

So, for me, The Fabelmans is decent, with many flaws. Though I've enjoyed many of Spielberg's films, he's no John Ford.

Detective Jim McLeod

Cuthbert wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 10:22 am Some spoilers ahead...

I just watched The Fabelmans (2022),

Those of us who love movies may find that the The Fabelmans final scene is among the best. Young Sammy is taken to meet his idol, John Ford, beautifully played by David Lynch. The cranky old Ford asked Sammy to identify the horizon on two of the paintings on the wall of Ford's office. The very last shot of the film shows Sammy leaving Ford's office, exhilarated. As the movie ends, the horizon in the shot moves, in a way that Ford would have approved of. (Btw, the scene with Ford is evidently an accurate depiction of what really happened.)

So, for me, The Fabelmans is decent, with many flaws. Though I've enjoyed many of Spielberg's films, he's no John Ford.

I just saw it yesterday, I was a bit disappointed. I agree the best moments involve the main character fascination with movies. The train crash sequence in The Greatest Show On Earth is shown and the one that he becomes obsessed with, it is my favorite moment in that film also.

But I was not moved or very interested in the family scenes, I started getting bored and wanted them to get back to the movie making moments. And the final scene with John Ford is the best one in the movie, even though I had heard Spielberg talk about this meeting before. And true, he is no John Ford, or David Lynch for that matter.
Detective Jim McLeod

Background To Danger TCM On Demand 6/10

An American (George Raft) in Turkey deals with Nazis and Russian agents during WWII.

This was a sometimes confusing but fast paced and entertaining spy thriller, first time viewing for me. I saw it for Peter Lorre and he is great as a vodka loving spy who may or may not be working with the Nazis. There are several twists and turns in this short (80 min) film. Sydney Greenstreet plays a Nazi and he is given 3rd billing above the title after Raft and Brenda Marshall (as Lorre's sister). I often wondered why Greenstreet always got higher billing than Lorre (below the title "with" billing here) since Lorre was in films much longer than Greenstreet.

I finally figured out how to post a photo.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 12:14 pm

Background To Danger TCM On Demand 6/10

An American (George Raft) in Turkey deals with Nazis and Russian agents during WWII.

This was a sometimes confusing but fast paced and entertaining spy thriller, first time viewing for me. I saw it for Peter Lorre and he is great as a vodka loving spy who may or may not be working with the Nazis. There are several twists and turns in this short (80 min) film. Sydney Greenstreet plays a Nazi and he is given 3rd billing above the title after Raft and Brenda Marshall (as Lorre's sister). I often wondered why Greenstreet always got higher billing than Lorre (below the title "with" billing here) since Lorre was in films much longer than Greenstreet.

I finally figured out how to post a photo.
Background to Danger was the last film Raft made under his fixed term contract with Warner Bros. Having Greensteet and Lorre in a film makes this worth seeing. Raft is OK but I always wonder what the film would have be if Bogie or Cagney had played the lead and Sheridan the sister (or even Alexis Smith).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lady Chatterley's Lover (2022)

(This “I Just Watched” thread seems to reside within an overall TCM-related section of the Board, but I find it’s a good place for all “I just watched” comments. So I take the fact that it’s under the TCM rubric the same way we take the “BBC” heading, i.e. going beyond BBC. I watched Lady Chatterley’s Lover on Netflix)

D.H. Lawrence is one of my favorite authors. His first novel, The White Peacock, (1912) is my favorite novel. I like his books in chronological order: The White Peacock, Sons and Lovers, The Rainbow, and Women in Love. I haven't read his novels that take place outside of England, because I think he's at his best in his original milieu, particularly with his incredible descriptions of the countryside and his observations of how nature interacts with human affairs, and as a reflection of humanity. Nature is generally benevolent in Lawrence’s work; in Thomas Hardy’s novels, nature is sometimes more of a threat. Hardy was writing earlier than Lawrence and in a different part of England. Lawrence, with his somewhat “pagan” sensibilities, was more concerned with creeping industrialistion and its effects on the Notts/Derby countryside.

Lady Chatterley’s Lover, written in 1928, is Lawrence’s penultimate novel. It is famous for its frank depiction and discussion of sex and the ensuing obscenity trials, which impacted its publication. It has been adapted for the screen about 14 times. But as Lawrence’s novels go, although it is beautifully written, it seems a bit dated, because adultery, even with frank descriptions of sex and passion, is no longer unusual in mainstream novels; and the once equally shocking romance between different classes, is accepted now. (Lawrence may have read, and been influenced by, the manuscript for E.M. Forster’s Maurice, written in 1913 but not published until 1971, after Forster’s death.)

The plot of Lady Chatterley’s Lover is well known and is, to some degree, fairly accurately depicted in the 2022 movie. Constance Reid, from an upper middle class and rather artsy family, marries the aristocrat Clifford Chatterley. He goes off to World War I, returning crippled and impotent. Connie becomes his carer, in their grand house in the country, where Clifford is also a land and mine owner. Clifford, desperate for an heir, encourages Connie to have a liaison with another man, a suggestion which repels Connie. But as she becomes bored and tired, and as Clifford becomes more insensitive and demanding, Connie, wandering around the estate, encounters Oliver Mellors, the gamekeeper. A friendship develops into steamy sex in a hut, followed by sex out in the field. (Lawrence is after all a “pagan.”) At one point, Connie and Mellors actually prance/dance around stark naked in the rain, in a a montage which, though beautiful to look at, is a bit much. (Btw, Connie is reading Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse, written around the same time as Lady Chatterley's Lover, but not mentioned in the latter novel.)

It’s a decently made film, with good performances by Emma Corrin (Lady Chatterley) and Jack O’Donnell (Mellors), although Emma is not quite as good as Jack, who balances the working-class characteristics of Mellors with his yearnings for culture (he seems to have a good library in his hut). It does get fairly formulaic: she goes out for a stroll, meets Mellors, they have sex, etc., again and again. Finally, through a means which is too quickly depicted, everyone finds out about the affair. Clifford, who had suggested that Connie have a baby, cannot accept the child of a working-class man whom he regards as a servant. Besides, he won’t be able to pass it off as his own, because of the gossip. Clifford fires Mellors. Late in the film, Connie goes to Venice with her sister and father. Those scenes are merely awkward shots of a moody Connie wandering around Venice. Finally, with the assistance of Mrs. Bolton (an excellent Joely Richardson), Connie receives a letter from Mellors, rushes back to England and up to Scotland, where Mellors works on a farm. And so happily ever after.

At the end of Maurice, Maurice goes to the boathouse where Alec is waiting. At the end of the 2022 Lady Chatterley’s Lover, Connie goes to a remote hut on a farm in Scotland, where Oliver is waiting. And so love seems to conquer all, in the novels of my two favorite authors.

Lawrence’s novel seems to end as happily as the 2022 film, though Connie doesn't actually go to Scotland. She receives the letter, and the assumption is that they will get together.

One of the earlier versions of D.H. Lawrence’s novel is called John Thomas and Lady Jane, the title referring to British slang for male and female genitalia. The last line of Lady Chatterley’s Lover (the novel) is also the last line of Mellors’ letter to Connie:

"But a great deal of us is together, and we can but abide by it, and steer our courses to meet soon. John Thomas says good-night to Lady Jane, a little droopingly, but with a hopeful heart.”

Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Now I'm reminded of the Cannon version of Lady Chatterley's Lover. ;-)