This week on SVENGOOLIE...

TikiSoo

Re: This week on SVENGOOLIE...

Post by TikiSoo »

LiamCasey wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:05 am This month on Svengoolie...
So you still have the opportunity to catch it, TikiSoo!
YAY! Thanks for the list! I've never seen Duel & don't recall the other. But I'm a huge Russ Tamblyn fan, so sure to like it.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:31 am
YAY! Thanks for the list! I've never seen Duel & don't recall the other. But I'm a huge Russ Tamblyn fan, so sure to like it.
War of the Gargantuas is a Japanese movie, with Tamblyn added to generate international appeal. It's interesting, but really goofy.
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

ANOTHER HARD PASS! :(
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

LawrenceA wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 1:27 pm
TikiSoo wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 11:31 am
War of the Gargantuas is a Japanese movie, with Tamblyn added to generate international appeal. It's interesting, but really goofy.
Did they add Tamblyn in the style of Burr, or was Tamblyn in it from the start?
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 5:26 pm
Did they add Tamblyn in the style of Burr, or was Tamblyn in it from the start?
He was in it from the start, much as Nick Adams was in Invasion of Astro-Monster and Frankenstein vs Barugon, the latter of which War of the Gargantuas is a sort-of sequel to.
Watching until the end.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

2/25: War of the Gargantuas (1966) w/ Russ Tamblyn, Kumi Mizuno and Kenji Sahara.
IMO, The War of the Gargantuas is a superior kaiju eiga, distinguished by the hit song (Number 1 with a bullet on Monster Island!) The Words Get Stuck in My Throat by Kipp Hamilton ("Miss Optometry of 1953"!).

"If I had a hidden microphone inside of my heart
I would turn the power on"

Eat your heart out, Cole Porter!

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:19 pm
2/25: War of the Gargantuas (1966) w/ Russ Tamblyn, Kumi Mizuno and Kenji Sahara.
IMO, The War of the Gargantuas is a superior kaiju eiga, distinguished by the hit song (Number 1 with a bullet on Monster Island!) The Words Get Stuck in My Throat by Kipp Hamilton ("Miss Optometry of 1953"!).

"If I had a hidden microphone inside of my heart
I would turn the power on"

Eat your heart out, Cole Porter!

Thanks for that EP! I'm not familiar with the movie, or the song. I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:52 pm I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
Funny you should mention that. In another thread I was talking about Bollywood Horror. I said, "You've never seen a Vampire movie until you've seen one with song & dance numbers"

This is my favorite:

The most famous is from Gunum '65, the one Thora Birch dances to in GHOST WORLD, but you do not get a sense of how it fits in. Here's a better example (super corny) from the same movie:

https://youtu.be/pgeyRvKTFdc
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:52 pm . . . I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
If you love Ann's performance in The Mummy's Curse, I suspect that you also enjoy "Faro-la Faro-li" performed by Adia Kuznetzoff in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: February 4th, 2023, 9:10 am Funny you should mention that. In another thread I was talking about Bollywood Horror. I said, "You've never seen a Vampire movie until you've seen one with song & dance numbers"
Based on the clip that you provided, TikiSoo, that is a blessing rather than a deprivation, as far as I'm concerned.

Bollywood cinema is not my cup of Darjeeling . . . as isn't Indian culture in general.

More to my taste are the following songs enhancing The Monster Club.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:21 pm
Swithin wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 9:52 pm . . . I love the musical scenes in horror films, my favorite being Ann Codee as Tante Berthe singing "Hey You" at the top of The Mummy's Curse.
If you love Ann's performance in The Mummy's Curse, I suspect that you also enjoy "Faro-la Faro-li" performed by Adia Kuznetzoff in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.
I love that operetta. I particularly like the way it's integrated into the script/plot, leading to Talbot's reaction.

Another favorite song from a horror film is Evelyn Ankers (dubbed) rendition of "I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls" in The Mad Ghoul (1943).
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

soooo...they can't find ANY more cheap**** horror flicks
they gotta rif an Astaire classic?!
(not my fav of his films....but GEEZ!)
:tickedoff:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

OMIGOD I sure would like to see someone beat the krill out of Sventoonie - what a loser concept.

Last night's broadcast of KILLER CLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE '88 was my first viewing! It was fairly entertaining, but mostly just a "chase" movie.

The Killer Clowns were not very scary, they were just guys dressed up in costume. Something about the baggy costumes, the structural wire bouncing as they waddled towards their prey took some of the fear & dread out of the equation.
The Clown faces were kind of scary close up with ugly sharp teeth and human-ish eyes. After seeing how they eat, you wonder what they needed those sharp teeth for? I did like the cotton candy "cocoon" element of the story and all the other references to "clown" stereotypes like balloon folding.

But mostly, this movie was just a simple exploitation of the horror genre geared towards teens in the 80's. The charactors clothing & set design were steeped in New Wave neon colors & patterns and I never got a sense of fear or dread. Not even when a charactor is held in the air by the hand of a giant marionette Clown, King Kong style.

I did love the heroine's poodle hair & beige ragamuffin dresses although cannot find ONE good photo to illustrate her cuteness-

As you can see by the photos there was nothing scary here but it was still fun seeing a movie I hadn't seen before!
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

TikiSoo wrote: February 12th, 2023, 6:11 am . . . Last night's broadcast of KILLER CLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE '88 was my first viewing! It was fairly entertaining, but mostly just a "chase" movie.
The only good thing about Killer Klowns from Outer Space, as far as I'm concerned, is the title song by The Dickies.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

EP Millstone wrote: February 12th, 2023, 7:11 pm The only good thing about Killer Klowns from Outer Space, as far as I'm concerned, is the title song
Haha Thanks for that video!
I was a hard core punk rocker in the 80's and had only disdain for most pop & Disco they seemed air headed. Now that I'm older, I have much greater appreciation of it as simply lighthearted & fun music.