WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Arsan444

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY!

Post by Arsan444 »

I had a Spanish Tortilla and crusty bread topped with tomato sauce.
Happy Spanish Tortilla Day!
When in doubt, have another one.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: March 10th, 2023, 2:07 am Red beans and rice with smoked sausage. Laffite, who is staying with me during Lent, went with the crawfish omelette because number one he loves Cajun cuisine and number two he doesn't eat meat on Friday.
Laffite was actually a Sephardic Jew, who, if he was observant, would not have eaten crawfish; and could have eaten meat on Friday!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Korean pork chops; Marinate with soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, chopped garlic and ginger.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I haven't given a thought about dinner yet. I'm still trying to come up with something for lunch. But for dinner I might just have some turkey kielbasa and pierogi. Luckily I have enough beet horseradish to go along with it.

Sepiatone
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I like horseradish and grew up used to the beet horseradish, which is particularly popular around Passover. However I've grown to love this British product, which I am out of but hope to stock up on, when I go to London next week.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Last night for my birthday, my wife took me to my favorite (and in the opinion of many around here, best) restaurant in all of Sedona. It's named Elote, and the fare consists of what could perhaps be best described as "Mexican/Ooxacan Nouvelle-Cuisine".

As I usually do when we dine there and primarily for special occasions (it ain't cheap) I ordered my favorite dish of theirs...lightly battered and fried scallops served with a spicy/sweet sauce drissled over them with pan-fried vegetables.

(...I don't know how Jeff the chef there does it, but every bite you take of his meals is like a half a dozen different flavors melding perfectly in your mouth...mmmm...mmmm...mmmm)
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Dargo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 1:05 pmLast night for my birthday
Hope you had a Happy Birthday! 🍰 🍨
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 1:05 pm Last night for my birthday, my wife took me to my favorite (and in the opinion of many around here, best) restaurant in all of Sedona. It's named Elote, and the fare consists of what could perhaps be best described as "Mexican/Ooxacan Nouvelle-Cuisine".

As I usually do when we dine there and primarily for special occasions (it ain't cheap) I ordered my favorite dish of theirs...lightly battered and fried scallops served with a spicy/sweet sauce drissled over them with pan-fried vegetables.

(...I don't know how Jeff the chef there does it, but every bite you take of his meals is like a half a dozen different flavors melding perfectly in your mouth...mmmm...mmmm...mmmm)
Happy Belated, Dargo. Is that you in the photo, or the chef, or Samuel Beckett?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: March 11th, 2023, 11:23 pm
Happy Belated, Dargo. Is that you in the photo, or the chef, or Samuel Beckett?
LOL

Never thought of it before now, but yeah, I suppose the older and more winkled I get (and especially the deep furrowed brow), and with the shock of thick greying hair, the more I do kind'a resemble the great Irish writer here, don't I...

So there's your answer, my old friend. Yes, that was a shot of me now days and as I was about to enjoy that delicious plate of scallops.

(...and thanks for the birthday wishes here as well)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: March 12th, 2023, 2:18 am I could never follow Joyce, but I can hang with Beckett a little bit.
The novels are considered difficult for most readers, but Joyce wrote many short stories that are near sublime. The narratives are more conventional and readable than the novels The most famous ones are in a collection entitled Dubliners among which is "The Dead," considered by some critics over the decades as the best short story in the English language. Rather extravagant praise on the face of it but it's a great read. And check out the movie that was made in '87. Read the story after dinner. ;)
The Shining Hour (1938)
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I like one persons review of Finnegans Wake I read where it said “here is a reference to a 10th century Irish rock carving that three people have seen.” :D All of Joyce is exactly like that with esoteric Gaelic references strewn about Willy nilly.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: March 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm Yes, i have a copy of Dubliners somewhere. What,s your take on Beckett, Laffite? BTW, Sunday is boudin day. I'm fixin' to cook up a batch and if you are finally out of central lockup then come on over. I don't make it from scratch, mind you, but i do get it fresh from the market. All you have to do is boil some water. If you go to Cagun land, around Lafayette to Lake Charles, you can get a boudin hot off the presses at practically every gas station / mini mart on the avenue.
One thing that has always interested me (as a student of Theology, and as one who is always looking for the influences of one's religion on non-religious aspects of life) is that almost all of the great Irish playwrights were Protestant: Sheridan, Farquhar, Boucicault, Goldsmith, Wilde, Shaw, Yeats, Lady Gregory, Synge, O'Casey, and Beckett.

Joyce (primarily a novelist) was Catholic, as are the more contemporary Irish dramatists.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:56 am I like one persons review of Finnegans Wake I read where it said “here is a reference to a 10th century Irish rock carving that three people have seen.” :D All of Joyce is exactly like that with esoteric Gaelic references strewn about Willy nilly.
I think not "all of Joyce" as noted on my last.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Andree

Post by Andree »

I'd rather look like Beckett than Auden. And Auden wasn't really that old when he died, only in his mid 60s.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: March 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm Yes, i have a copy of Dubliners somewhere. What,s your take on Beckett, Laffite? BTW, Sunday is boudin day. I'm fixin' to cook up a batch and if you are finally out of central lockup then come on over. I don't make it from scratch, mind you, but i do get it fresh from the market. All you have to do is boil some water. If you go to Cagun land, around Lafayette to Lake Charles, you can get a boudin hot off the presses at practically every gas station / mini mart on the avenue.
Not sure. I can take it or Beckett. :roll:
The Shining Hour (1938)