WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY!

Post by Swithin »

Trader Joe had these cute little cabbages a few months ago. You just pop them into the microwave with the wrap intact, and they're perfect in a few minutes. The season was short, though.

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I made a pizza two nights ago & am still having it for dinner.
Whole wheat dough with all fresh garlic, spinach, mushrooms & kalamata olives plus ricotta & mozzarella cheese.

It's SPRING! Next pizza will have dandelions instead of spinach and garlic fresh from the garden.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I made tostadas tonight, and there were absolutely no leftovers. Everybody had second helpings….
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Yum Yum Sue Sue!
What did you wash it down with?
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

A cold Corona with fresh squeezed lime juice! 😉
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Chicken thighs with onions, potatoes, carrots and rosemary. Very easy to make one-dish meal:

Have a deep dish backing pan; place thighs into the pan and sprinkle some spices on each side (I use smoked paprika, salt and pepper). Put in the potatoes, onions and carrots. Take rosemary stalks and place on top of the chicken. Place foil over the pan and bake at 375 for around 50 minutes. Remove rosemary, turn over the chicken and broil for another 10 minutes. (This last step can be skipped but I like a little char on mine). Note that use small potatoes (or cut them in half), cut the onions in half or quarters (unless using pearl onions), and the carrots into finger size sticks.

Takes around 8 minutes to prepare so I get it ready while TCM is between movies and let it bake during the movie!
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Prepped for tonight: Italian venison sausage slices with veggies (onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, roma tomatoes). Stir fry; season with oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, smoked papricka, garlic, onion powder. Top with mozzarella (nuke to melt)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I haven't a clue in the kitchen.
That is where the big box is with cold food in it.
Does the light really go out when you close the door? <grin>
I do know to look inside the other big box and make sure it is empty before turning it on.
Brick, from "The Middle," (TV Show) didn't know Mom used the oven for storage.
That said, your recipe (Diane) sounds like it would work out well as a pizza.
I've seen the JJG recipe used with Cornish Game Hens.
I have to laugh at Thompson's idea of baseball food for dinner.
We have Beer Nuts to complement beer.
We need Champagne Nuts. I can't figure out what kind though.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

According to "Eating Well," macadamia nuts go well with sparkling wine.
I think they could dip in chocolate.
As for beans:
Woof! You've Got Mail!
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Thompson, sounds like a heart attack on a plate lol
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: April 20th, 2023, 9:50 pm I think I’ve squirreled away a can of corned beef hash somewhere in the kitchen, but since “lights are out” I’ll never find it tonight. Think breakfast, that’s what I think now. There’s more light and less complaining about crumbs and dishes.
I'm glad that you didn't beef away a can of corned squirrel hash, because, as I'm sure you know, you can get CJD (similar to Kuru) from eating squirrel brains. It was a real problem in Kentucky many years ago, when people there made the original recipe for Burgoo.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

A Jamie Oliver simple dish of pasta with canned tuna that can be made in < 15 minutes:

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Put in red chili flakes and a few crushed garlic cloves. Don't let the garlic get brown and remove after a few minutes.

While the above is heating, take 12 oz of cherry or grape tomatoes and cut them in half. Turn up the heat and cook the tomatoes for 4 minutes. Push them down to slightly break them down (but not too much) and add a teaspoon of dried oregano. The juice of the tomatoes is the starting of the sauce.

Take two cans of tuna in olive oil. I use solid albacore (chuck tuna doesn't work well). I don't drain the tuna since that adds favor but for those that don't wish for too-much of a fishy favor, drain the tuna. Put the tuna into the pan, with another teaspoon of dried oregano and cook another 4 minutes.

While the above is going on cook 10 oz of pasta. Make sure the pasta water is well salted. Oliver recommends medium sized shell (which is what I do), but penne and other type of short pasta will work. Save some of the pasta water. Put just undercook pasta into the pan. Stir to create the final sauce and add pasta water if too dry. Finish with capers.

Note that I often start with a few anchovies before the chili flakes and garlic. Anchovies will melt where they just disappear into the olive oil, but they add a lot of favor.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Last night was one of my nephew's birthday. Went there for dinner and family get together. He's on my wife's side of the family so there was plenty of some Mexican dishes. Picadillo, rice and beans, taco fixin's. And enough left over they sent me home with plenty for me to have a good dinner tonight.(and a few more nights).
Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to warm my tortillas by nuking them or heating them over a stove burner.

Sepiatone
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

How to reheat tortillas:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-re ... as-2342846
The Internet knows all.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Thompson wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 4:28 pm

No, don’t nuke ‘em, Sepiatone. Got a nuke oven not long ago and it is NOT the way to go. It cooks things and reheats things inside out. Food does not like to be cooked inside out.
I used to heat 'em up the way my wife showed me;
Turn a stove burner on to a low flame, place the tortilla on the burner's grate over the flame and flip it over a few times with your fingers(fast and carefully) until warmed to where you like. And be careful not to burn it. Or you. ;)

But the last several years have seen my fingers getting progressively sensitive to heat, So I might try flipping them with a pair of tongs, or like in the link Jimimac posted, heat up a frying pan and flop 'em around in that. The link also suggests nuking corn tortillas covered with a damp cloth. I might try a variant of that as how I reheat pancakes... Placed on a foam plate covered with a dampened paper towel. In the case of flour tortillas I might just nuke 'em for 10-15 seconds, not the minute I nuke the pancakes or French toast (I only make three slices of French toast for my breakfast, but make enough batter to make six or nine slices, and when I make the extras I put them in a ziplock (three slices each) and put 'em in the fridge.

Sepiatone