MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Andree

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Andree »

I haven't seen all of Edward G. Robinson's films, so there likely are a few where he plays the romantic lead,
but that's certainly not his usual role. A guy with a bag over his head would be a better romantic lead.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

His face might have been a little rough, but beautifully rough.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I might have said although it's rough, it doesn't lack in character.

Sepiatone
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

EP Millstone wrote: April 21st, 2023, 6:18 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:10 pm . . . still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! . . .
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 21st, 2023, 6:02 pm What is so baffling? E.G. Robinson was cast as a romantic lead.
All a matter of personal taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, Reid somewhat resembles Henry Fonda in this pic:

Just looking at the photo posted here, he's kind of cute.
norfious

Post by norfious »

As someone who is highly sensitive, I find that I can be scared of (or at least upset over) a lot of movies where the plots may seem unbelievable or not considered "scary" to most people. I don't know that it is a fear of what occurred in the movie actually happening, but maybe just a fear of those feelings that accompany the action. For example, I was watching The Last Of Sheila last night and I found I was quite anxious after the part where
Lee admits to being the hit-and-run driver and is fraught with guilt.
Even though it is just a movie, I find I get upset and overly empathetic at times. Also, I had to look away when
her wrists get slit by sewing scissors.
I did not know if it would actually be shown or not, but I did not want to find out. :?

I notice the scariest movies to me are not ones about aliens or monsters; it's films about frightening people that are the worst. For example, the two scariest movies I've ever seen have been Wait Until Dark (1967) and The Dark Knight (2008). So as you can imagine, there are a ton of movies that I probably will never watch because they'd be too upsetting.

To my amazement, though, I have been getting out of my comfort zone recently by watching a lot of 70s movies that are grittier than what I am used to. Most of them haven't bothered me. For example, I loved Sorcerer, which is kind of an intense film. Go figure.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Thompson wrote: April 25th, 2023, 10:55 pm Why do I continue to put the phone on the arm of the chair and the phone falls off every time and hits the floor? Why is that? The phone is coming apart in the back and every time it hits the floor it comes more apart in the back.

Look! It fell off of the arm of the chair again!
I have one word for ya here, Thompson...

"Velcro"

(...you're welcome) ;)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Thompson wrote: April 25th, 2023, 10:55 pm

Look! It fell off of the arm of the chair again!
Not communicating here with a phone with Facetime( and not on this site using a phone to begin with) It wasn't possible to look and see your phone fall off the arm of your chair. I'd take Dargo up on his suggestion. ;)

But I can't figure those people who practically live on their phones. Some of them anyway. Two of my sisters in law couldn't function without their phones AND "Their" facebook constantly by their sides. I told my brothers in law to find a way to alter those straps people used to have to keep their eyeglasses hanging on their necks so they can hold their wive's phones, seeing as they also constantly forget to pick them up and carry them whenever they move to another room. Then they forget which room they were in when they used them last. And the WHOLE WORLD it seems, has to stop while they furiously inspect every inch in the house trying to find their phones. :roll: Funnier too.......

When I was at her house one time when she went through that search I suggested she call her phone from her landline. But the landline went though a cordless handset, and she also couldn't remember where she left THAT! :lol:

Sepiatone
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Wow. You certainly took the phrase "Hammer time!" seriously, didn't you?
And how can anyone write you a letter? How can they be sure you didn't smash the mailbox with that hammer? ;)

And what did you have against those guitars?

Sepiatone
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 21st, 2023, 6:02 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:10 pm Wow EP, thank you so much for that! I read the entire transcript and have to agree with you on Reid but it still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! (btw, I like what Elliot had to say about Orson Welles)
What is so baffling? E.G. Robinson was cast as a romantic lead.

But look where it got him with Joan Bennett.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 25th, 2023, 12:48 pm
EP Millstone wrote: April 21st, 2023, 6:18 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:10 pm . . . still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! . . .
jamesjazzguitar wrote: April 21st, 2023, 6:02 pm What is so baffling? E.G. Robinson was cast as a romantic lead.
All a matter of personal taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To me, Reid somewhat resembles Henry Fonda in this pic:

Just looking at the photo posted here, he's kind of cute.

I'll take Bugs.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 27th, 2023, 12:53 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 4:10 pm Wow EP, thank you so much for that! I read the entire transcript and have to agree with you on Reid but it still doesn't explain why Hollywood cast him as a romantic lead, lol. Baffles me completely! (btw, I like what Elliot had to say about Orson Welles)

LOL!!!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

:smiley_snoopy:
Dargo wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:15 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 3:08 pm
:smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: Dargo, in addition to that wascally wabbit, I do adore Snoopy, although, unlike Bugs, cannot think of any Hollywood actor who looked like him.
Offhand, I can't think of a human actor who reminds me of Snoopy either, Bronxie. However and in this regard, did you happen to catch the following little news item which was making the rounds on the internet the other day?...

https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/snoopys-r ... ed-bayley/

(...is that one cute dog or what?!)

Leave it to you, Dargo! Have mercy, lol. Hey, I actually did see an actor who looked like Snoopy! Was watching IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM, and thought Sandy Baron (the Italian-American tourist looking for his cousin but goes into the wrong house) came close!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 27th, 2023, 12:53 pm

Well, he didn't end up like Dan Duryea!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 27th, 2023, 1:13 pm :smiley_snoopy:
Dargo wrote: April 24th, 2023, 10:15 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 21st, 2023, 3:08 pm
:smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: :smiley_snoopy: Dargo, in addition to that wascally wabbit, I do adore Snoopy, although, unlike Bugs, cannot think of any Hollywood actor who looked like him.
Offhand, I can't think of a human actor who reminds me of Snoopy either, Bronxie. However and in this regard, did you happen to catch the following little news item which was making the rounds on the internet the other day?...

https://nypost.com/2023/04/13/snoopys-r ... ed-bayley/

(...is that one cute dog or what?!)
Leave it to you, Dargo! Have mercy, lol. Hey, I actually did see an actor who looked like Snoopy! Was watching IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM, and thought Sandy Baron (the Italian-American tourist looking for his cousin but goes into the wrong house) came close!
Yeah, sure, I remember comic Sandy Baron, Bronxie. He co-hosted the syndicated afternoon Della Reese Show among many other programs he guested on back in the late-'60s and early-'70s. Years later, I think I recall him being on a few 'Seinfeld' episodes as well...

(...and ya know and now that you've mentioned it here, I think I can see what you mean about there being something "Snoopy-esque" about the guy)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 27th, 2023, 1:13 pm
...Was watching IF IT'S TUESDAY, THIS MUST BE BELGIUM...
Hey and btw regarding this movie...

First, I've always thought this film was very underrated and unappreciated. And secondly, I've always thought Suzanne Pleshette was probably at the peak of her beauty in this one...

(...not, mind you, that she still wasn't hot as hell a few years later when she played Bob Newhart's wife in his first and still my favorite sitcom of his)