accents

Chit-chat, current events
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

LOL, tracey! A-hia. Yes, that is the pronunciation in the southern part of our state. I love Ohio--a beautiful state and wonderful down to earth people. I find all the little differences between the regions very interesting. Northeast Ohio is very much like New England, the middle part of the state is very classic midwestern, and the southern part picks up the southern influences from West Virginia and Kentucky.

Chris, I love your quote! So true.

Sandy K
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

mrsl wrote:Sorry Judith:

I can't keep all those small countries and who their leaders are straight in my head. I had no idea who Benazir Bhutto was when I saw the headline on my home page and I passed right over it. Maybe you can remember who's who in some way, but they seem to change on a weekly basis either from being assassinated, voted out of office, or simply disappearing. Since the story today is that she died from banging her head, rather than being shot, I still don't know for sure where she is from although she was quoted as saying something about Pakistan, and I assume she is a stateswoman from there.

Also, yes, who is Mary Whitehouse?

Anne
No need to be sorry, Anne. The point I was making in my post about the Bhutto assassination was that one would expect a college student, especially a one attending a large college in New York City, to have a world view and be up on current events. The situation in Pakistan is just the kind on which students in my day would have had lots of very strong opinions.

This is something I hear all the time among young people: if it's current events they will say "Oh, I don't know anything about that, I'm an accounting major;" or if it's about literature, they will say it means nothing to them, because they are business majors, etc. Universities have become centers for vocational training; and liberal arts are out of favor. They are called "liberal" arts for a reason: their study is intended to cover, liberally, all facets of human experience. If you can't count on a current college student to have an inkling about what's going on in the world, who can you count on?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Judith:

Along the same current event thing my 17 year old daughter is really upset that she won't turn 18 until about 10 days after next year's election.

It really is a wonderful time when my children want to talk politics or current events with me. Mo and I share the same love of history and geography. In fact my wife gave us the same atlas coloring books for gifts. Now, how much fun will that be when Mo and I spend an evening together coloring Europe?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

movieman1957 wrote:Judith:

Along the same current event thing my 17 year old daughter is really upset that she won't turn 18 until about 10 days after next year's election.

It really is a wonderful time when my children want to talk politics or current events with me. Mo and I share the same love of history and geography. In fact my wife gave us the same atlas coloring books for gifts. Now, how much fun will that be when Mo and I spend an evening together coloring Europe?
My Margo had the same dilemma as your daughter, Chris. She missed her first chance to vote at 18 by one darn day. I tried to make her feel better by reminding her that I had to wait until I was an ancient 21 before I could cast my first vote, and anyway, how about the women before us who couldn't vote at all? Who knows, maybe our young women won't just vote, but run for office themselves!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb1:

I've got you now. It's basically the same as my 'trick' question to young people I meet - "Who is JFK?". It's amazing the variety of answers you get on that one, and unfortunately sometimes it's funnier than Jay Lenos' bit he does with people on the street. Sadly, my sense of humor does not go in the direction of stupidity. I don't find it funny when a person does not know what the Bill of Rights is. Oh, I don't expect anyone to list them all off, but every American should know what the conglomerate rights stand for. To see someone stand there saying "Duh, is it part of the marriage ceremony", is not humorous to me, especially considering the Bill of Rights is what allows him to stand there making a fool of himself.

You're correct in that you don't expect a college student to know all the facets of a question, but especially a liberal arts student should know the general facts, and from the name alone, a person should at the very least assume that person was from a certain part of the world.

This is what upsets me when I verbally wonder about my grandkids future adult world.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

accents

Post by inglis »

In Sophie's Choice and Out Of Africa, Meryl Streep is outstanding with her different accents and her stuck up pitch in Devil Wears Prada was excellent.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Yes, Carole, I agree that Streep has a talent for accents. Did you see her (and hear her) being Irish in Dancing at Lughsana? Being able to recreate the regional accents of any place is a talent in itself. We could probably come up with many actors who have that talent - Peter Sellers, for instance.

Then there are those actors who speak with British accents, but they aren't British - like Linda Hunt and Norman Lloyd (both from New Jersey), among others.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Meryl was very good in her accent in Bridges at Madison County also. She chose to do the Americanized version (someone who took on English after moving here), as my family did, rather than the upper crust as most people do. I loved her habit of going 'emmm' while thinking of a word. All my aunts and uncles do that, and she sounded just like all of them while talking too. My family came over here between 1912 and 1920, long before either war - they were looking for the American Dream more than freedom. They were all poor and she was a dead ringer for photos of my family back then.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
inglis

Post by inglis »

jdb1 wrote:Yes, Carole, I agree that Streep has a talent for accents. Did you see her (and hear her) being Irish in Dancing at Lughsana? Being able to recreate the regional accents of any place is a talent in itself. We could probably come up with many actors who have that talent - Peter Sellers, for instance.

Then there are those actors who speak with British accents, but they aren't British - like Linda Hunt and Norman Lloyd (both from New Jersey), among others.
Hi Judith! I have never heard of this movie you mentioned Dancing at Lughsana.is it a recent movie ?
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Judith noted:

The ones that amaze me (and I know I shouldn't be, but I am) are the British actors and actresses that can speak "American" without a trace of their British accents. Hugh Laurie on House is amazing. I didn't even know he was British until my daughter told me. Some others aren't as good. Albert Finney fell just a little short of making it in Erin Brakovitch, and of course, Errol Flynn never came close.

For Australians or other subjects of the former British Empire, Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman are both excellent at sounding like they grew up just down the street.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

inglis wrote: Hi Judith! I have never heard of this movie you mentioned Dancing at Lughsana.is it a recent movie ?
Dancing at Lughsana, by the Irish playwright Brian Friel, had a very successful run on Broadway in the 90s. It's about five unmarried sisters who live together in a small town in Ireland (I think it takes place in the 20s or 30s). The movie version was made in the late 90s but I don' remember it ever playing in NYC. If it did, it must have been a very limited run. I don't think it's the greatest family drama I've ever seen, but it's a nice movie.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

JohnM wrote:I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, that I believe that many of today's British actors can pull-off American accents, because they were raised with television. Many American shows were part of their formative years. Unlike Americans, who basically only got American shows on the main television channels.
Very true, John, since the majority of British TV shows shown in the US are relegated to "special" channels. However, with the advent of The Beatles, the US became aware, at least for a time, of the fact that there are many more British accents than those heard in upper class drawing room comedies, the only kind most Americans had previously been familiar with.

Remember Roger Miller's song "England Swings (Like a Pendulum Do)?" "Tryin' to mock the way the talk; fun but all in vain." We all did it then -- tried to talk Scouse and Cockney -- it sounded so exotic to us. I now have a co-worker from Manchester - I just love the way she talks - like Daphne on Frasier.
inglis

Post by inglis »

jdb1 wrote:
inglis wrote: Hi Judith! I have never heard of this movie you mentioned Dancing at Lughsana.is it a recent movie ?
Dancing at Lughsana, by the Irish playwright Brian Friel, had a very successful run on Broadway in the 90s. It's about five unmarried sisters who live together in a small town in Ireland (I think it takes place in the 20s or 30s). The movie version was made in the late 90s but I don' remember it ever playing in NYC. If it did, it must have been a very limited run. I don't think it's the greatest family drama I've ever seen, but it's a nice movie.
Thank-you for the background on this movie .I will have to see it. I remember that Rodger Miller tune that you mentioned to another poster it has been awhile since I heard it .My Mom used to sing it .You brought back a flash of my childhood.Cheers Carol
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

In most cases, I hate the faux accents. I'd rather have a scripted line explaining a non-native's appearance. Or just ignore it. Ronald Colman's accent is never once mentioned or noticed in TALK OF THE TOWN. But Kevin Costner's awful Robin Hood should have been aborted well before time to try out accents - Costner and his folks should have understood his speech pattern corrupted attempts at anything but his natural speaking tones and made accents sound silly.

Jean Hagan and her Voice is something else, though. A triumph, and Oscar worthy on that consideration alone.

In contemporary films, I don't understand why someone can't be a foreign worker, a tourist, a child that moved away and has now returned a la THE QUIET MAN, and the accent they use needs zero explanation beyond that. Quick, easily done and we can move on without hoping Anthony Perkins will take his suicide-pill by his 2nd line of dialog in ON THE BEACH.