I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Dargo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Dargo »

scsu1975 wrote: July 7th, 2023, 4:25 pm
Dargo wrote: July 7th, 2023, 4:13 pm

(...btw, this now leads me to ask the following here: What movies DID Chuck here end up dying in?...I know he does in 'El Cid', anyway)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Midway, The Omega Man and Earthquake come to mind.
Thanks, Rich!

I had especially forgotten that Chuck buys the farm in 'Earthquake' and while trying to save Ava.

(...a film I've only ever watched once, and that being inside Grauman's Chinese equipped with "Sensurround" back when it was first released)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Allhallowsday wrote: July 7th, 2023, 3:20 pm CHARLTON HESTON as Mexican? :roll:
1960's The Unforgiven had Audrey Hepburn as a Native American....
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Not the Wolf Man:

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: July 7th, 2023, 8:10 pm Not the Wolf Man:
Oh that's right! Had forgotten Creighton there co-starred in that short-lived 1950's television series 'Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans" playing the character Chingachgook.

(...good one here, Swithin)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: July 7th, 2023, 8:41 pm
Swithin wrote: July 7th, 2023, 8:10 pm Not the Wolf Man:
Oh that's right! Had forgotten Creighton there co-starred in that short-lived 1950's television series 'Hawkeye and the Last of the Mohicans" playing the character Chingachgook.

(...good one here, Swithin)
One of my favorite shows as a little kid. I loved James Fenimore Cooper in all his various adaptations. We learned a lot about him in grade school, since he was sort of a local boy. My favorite of the novels is The Deerslayer. which is set around Otsego Lake in upstate New York. I went to a wedding there a few years ago (in Cooperstown), after which my family took a boat ride around the beautiful lake. Unfortunately the town has all this baseball stuff in it, though I guess it helps pay the bills. But it's so much more than that.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

CinemaInternational wrote: July 7th, 2023, 7:55 pm
I mentioned HESTON because there was conversation about TOUCH OF EVIL. I'm also one of those who does not care for it and my first turnoff was the red face baloney.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Dargo wrote: July 7th, 2023, 4:47 pm ...
Thanks, Rich!

I had especially forgotten that Chuck buys the farm in 'Earthquake' and while trying to save Ava.

(...a film I've only ever watched once, and that being inside Grauman's Chinese equipped with "Sensurround" back when it was first released)
My story is exactly the same except the theater was in NJ.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

CinemaInternational wrote: July 7th, 2023, 7:55 pm
Yeah, I get it. I never liked any of the red face or yellow face or tan face baloney, like ALEC GUINNESS as Japanese. That tendency seems to have died off.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Allhallowsday wrote: July 7th, 2023, 9:42 pm
Dargo wrote: July 7th, 2023, 4:47 pm ...
Thanks, Rich!

My story is exactly the same except the theater was in NJ.
HEY! That wouldn't have been Gutman's Mongolian Theater in Passaic, would IT?!

(...I've heard it could rival Grauman's in Hollywood for splendor, but that its concession stand never stocked enough Jujubes)

;)
norfious

Post by norfious »

I just watched "Tea and Sympathy" and I think it is interesting how many of the reviews of the film state that the plot revolved around homosexuality. Perhaps the original play did, and perhaps I am just projecting, but I got the impression that the character Tom in the film was demisexual or asexual. Those identities probably weren't well understood back when the film was made, though.

The film did a good job at showing that "different" does not mean "bad," especially since Tom was, in my opinion, the only likable character in the entire film. All the other men, with the exception of Al to some degree, were inconsiderate, judgemental, and sexist. Who would want to be "normal" if that's what was considered "normal?"

The character of Laura was quite creepy. I know she was trying to help Tom and felt sorry for him, but the ending was, in my opinion, completely inappropriate. I guess Tom was technically an adult at 18, but Laura was way too old and Tom way too young for her to go after him in that way. Yikes.

I also really disliked the fact that after Laura was with Tom, he was magically "better." Like he needed to have that experience to be considered acceptable as a person. :(
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

norfious wrote: July 7th, 2023, 10:14 pm I just watched "Tea and Sympathy" and I think it is interesting how many of the reviews of the film state that the plot revolved around homosexuality. Perhaps the original play did, and perhaps I am just projecting, but I got the impression that the character Tom in the film was demisexual or asexual. Those identities probably weren't well understood back when the film was made, though.

The film did a good job at showing that "different" does not mean "bad," especially since Tom was, in my opinion, the only likable character in the entire film. All the other men, with the exception of Al to some degree, were inconsiderate, judgemental, and sexist. Who would want to be "normal" if that's what was considered "normal?"

The character of Laura was quite creepy. I know she was trying to help Tom and felt sorry for him, but the ending was, in my opinion, completely inappropriate. I guess Tom was technically an adult at 18, but Laura was way too old and Tom way too young for her to go after him in that way. Yikes.

I also really disliked the fact that after Laura was with Tom, he was magically "better." Like he needed to have that experience to be considered acceptable as a person. :(
Gonna have to take exception with a few of your points here, norfious.

First, I've never thought the plot of this film says anything about the sexual preferences the Tom character might have...and nope, I'm very sure I'm not in any way purposely turning a bling eye to this possibility. Nope, I instead have always believed that the Tom character is presented only to consider the contrasts between his ingrained sensitive nature and with that of almost all the other male characters in it who have bought into the traditional idea of what constitutes a "real American man".

I think your second paragraph up there actually well explains why that sort of macho mentality shared my the rest of the males in this story can be looked at as being unenviable behavioral traits.

And re the Laura character's actions...Sorry, but I've never thought of them as being "creepy", but actually more nurturing.

I also don't think that after Tom and Laura's relationship is consumated that the viewer is supposed to get the idea that he is "better", as I take by your use of the word "better" in this case that you're implying that if Tom had in fact been gay, Laura had somehow "cured" him of that. Nope, what I think Laura gave to Tom in this case was more a greater confidence in himself, although I suppose this could indeed be considered as becoming "better".

(...okay, and now with this being said, I'm off to other threads to spread my devil-may-care attitude...gettin' serious like this ain't usually my bag, ya know) ;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

norfious wrote: July 7th, 2023, 10:14 pm I just watched "Tea and Sympathy" and I think it is interesting how many of the reviews of the film state that the plot revolved around homosexuality. Perhaps the original play did, and perhaps I am just projecting, but I got the impression that the character Tom in the film was demisexual or asexual. Those identities probably weren't well understood back when the film was made, though.

I knew Robert Anderson pretty well. Worked on a few projects with him. He was a sort of mentor to me, related to one aspect of my job. Lovely, generous man. He had been married to Teresa Wright and remained close friends with her after their divorce. They were a sweet, talented couple.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Swithin wrote: July 8th, 2023, 2:35 am

I knew Robert Anderson pretty well. Worked on a few projects with him. He was a sort of mentor to me, related to one aspect of my job. Lovely, generous man. He had been married to Teresa Wright and remained close friends with her after their divorce. They were a sweet, talented couple.
Hey, that is cool and all, but are you saying in all that time you spent with Robert Anderson you never discussed the play and\or film and anything related to what is being discussed here?

Of course, Tea and Sympathy wasn't his most successful effort but from my experience it leads to the most questions with regards to sexuality etc...