Noir Alley

jamesjazzguitar

Re: Noir Alley

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:03 am James Gregory as a bigwig of anything makes me laugh since I feel his only memorable screen performance is the acquiescent Senator Iselin supremely manipulated by power-mad wifey Angela Lansbury in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.
James Gregory was very good in the late cycle noir film, Nightfall (1957), with Aldo Ray and Ann Bancroft.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thanks, james, I will check that one out!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:03 am James Gregory as a bigwig of anything makes me laugh since I feel his only memorable screen performance is the acquiescent Senator Iselin supremely manipulated by power-mad wifey Angela Lansbury in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.
While I'll agree that he was not only well cast and his performance is excellent in this film here, Bronxie...

...I tend to think of him more in roles in which he plays gruff military officers or cops.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:14 am
James Gregory was very good in the late cycle noir film, Nightfall (1957), with Aldo Ray and Ann Bancroft.
I've seen that film, but I don't remember him in it. Was he one of the bad guys?
Andree

Post by Andree »

ElCid wrote: October 18th, 2023, 9:07 am

I think the old bucket of bolts was part of their cover. Of course this contrasted somewhat with them being able to purchase a gas station and a large house with a three car garage, even with loans. The house was needed to house all the criminals. At the beginning of movie Calhoun is driving a Chrysler New Yorker convertible, which was his actual car.
That's a possibility. They didn't need to have a band new Caddy, just something better than the car they did have.
If you're going to pull a big caper you want reliable transportation. Then again, it's just a movie.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: October 18th, 2023, 3:18 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 18th, 2023, 11:14 am
I've seen that film, but I don't remember him in it. Was he one of the bad guys?
Gregory is the insurance investigator who is looking for Ray to uncover the money that was taken by the bad guys.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks. I don't remember much about the plot.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Deception: an elegant production. The self-contained milieu of orchestra life was inviting. And Bette looked beautiful. Assuming she turned herself in, the slammer might be a sanctuary of sorts, considering the verbal abuse she took from Claude Rains, and jealous Paul Henreid, when angered, went for her throat.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Bette did look beautiful in DECEPTION, with a special glow because she was I believe pregnant during the filming.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 19th, 2023, 6:32 pm Bette did look beautiful in DECEPTION, with a special glow because she was I believe pregnant during the filming.
Yes. That's what I thought. Odd Eddie didn't mention that. Sadly, BD turned out not worth the glow!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yeah. B.D. wrote her own tell-all book after Bette died, "My Mother's Keeper" I think was the title.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 21st, 2023, 11:17 am Yeah. B.D. wrote her own tell-all book after Bette died, "My Mother's Keeper" I think was the title.

Yes, I read that, B.D. seemed to think it would be turn Bette into a monster like Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest but it just made Bette look like a cranky old broad. One of the things she complained about was at a party, Bette served cold cuts (oh the horror!)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Eddie Muller gets the Crap Award for the most egregious selection ever for a Noir Alley production. The movie---Casque D'or---is not crap but if one is a frequenter of Noir Alley there is a mental set one haves when tuning that is completely shattered when confronted with some disparate or random and quixotic selection like this.

Mind you, I don't expect Mr Muller to convert to a French person and speak impeccable French and thereby he heralded as hero by the L'Academie Francais (a relentlessness language watchdog group that has been protecting the French language for centuries think: Taliban) but simply possess the natural rough-and-ready way that normal American speakers do when speaking easy French words and phrases.

Here is what Muller said: cask DEE or .

This is correct: cask dor

This is very easy for a non-French speaker. Mr Eddie comes off as an dolt because for an expert as an sophisticated film reviewer and host of a TV show he ought not commit errors like this.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I caught that too -- it sounded like Eddie was talking about that famous Gallic fashion establishment -- House of Dior.

I enjoyed the film, mainly because I am fond of French cinema and the great Simone Signoret. Muller obviously gets defensive over his selections just out of habit but I feel he knocked it out of the park in this instance -- CASQUE D'OR was indeed "noir-stained".
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

i speak French And English,I noticed a long time ago how Eddie' s prononciation of French words is horrendous,it is even more surprising as he spent quite a bit of time in France, he should really work on it if you look at his intro on Quai des Orfevres -on youtube- it is quite incredible coming from his mouth,he always likes to flash his SpanishS prononciation,he does thorough research for his intros it is somewhat wasted by poor familiarity with a few words.