Noir Alley

Bronxgirl48

RAe: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Of course for sheer continuing creepiness there is nothing like a Hallmark t.v. movie character. Pick any one. :shock:
laffite

Re: RAe: Noir Alley

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:33 pm I would agree. And for me the ultimate creep-out scene in TERROR is Remick at the mirror in the women's restroom....
I was about the same age as Stephanie (I haven't looked it up, but close) and that delectable creature was one of my first mad crushes that still reigns supreme. Unless Dargo has taken her away from me. Although she lost her appeal when she grew up. She had my heart but not my Hart.
Bronxgirl48

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I can't speak to Stephanie's attraction but she did seem to project a certain intelligence in all her characters combined with some low-key, "brunette" girl-next-door sex appeal.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I have to say that EXPERIMENT IN TERROR is not one of my favorite Lee Remick performances, nor do I think it is "up there" in any way, shape or form with her outstanding work in THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, WILD RIVER, and ANATOMY OF A MURDER. I was trying to imagine Kelly the bank teller's back story in order to hone in on what Lee was attempting to achieve with the character -- the older sister doing her best to raise a younger sibling after the death of their parents, coping with this responsibility by projecting a stalwart, even stoic mindset which meant not getting seriously involved romantically with anyone until Stephanie came of age and in general putting her own needs on the backburner which gives her strength and fortitude to get through the horror of Red Lynch. This is why maybe Remick downplays her emotions in the film, not going the audience-pleasing route of over-the-top hysterics and drama. It sometimes comes across to me as stiff but I'm guessing perhaps this is the objective.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I've seen EIT three or four times over the years. It's still fairly entertaining even when one knows how
things work out in the end. I must admit the idea of forcing someone to rob the bank seems a bit far-fetched,
too many things to go wrong, even more so than in a regular bank robbery, but that's a minor point. I think
of it more as a psycho killer/police procedural more than a noir, but I'm not going to press the point. It was
good to see that the writers didn't try to use the usual hokum of having a romance between Ford and
Remick. Ross Martin was definitely creepy with both the asthmatic heavy breathing and the hint that he is
also a sex perv, though that couldn't be too clear in 1962.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Not really a fan of Experiment in Terror, although Lee Remick is very good in it. Stephanie Powers had a couple of very good performances in two episodes of Route 66 and one in Rockford Files.
As for Glen Ford, he is good, but somehow is not very dynamic. I do like him in Affair in Trinidad, which is similar to Gilda but more entertaining to me, and Plunder of the Sun.
Haven't seen Abandoned, so looking forward to that.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I hadn't seen this film in a long time. It doesn't hold up well. The premise is far fetched, but I could overlook that if the film wasn't SOOOO slow! It's not helped by bland Glenn Ford in the lead either. I was so distracted by Lee Remick's overapplied lipstick in the opening scene, I couldn't concentrate on what was going on. I was surprised that Eddie didn't point out the incongruity of Lee Remick being a lowly bank teller, yet affording a swank house in the Twin Peaks part of town! Those were the days, I guess! I could see how this film pushed the envelope a bit for this kind of story, but was still hampered by the code and couldn't go too far (Powers kidnapping).
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Hibi wrote: November 1st, 2023, 4:16 pm I hadn't seen this film in a long time. It doesn't hold up well. The premise is far fetched, but I could overlook that if the film wasn't SOOOO slow! It's not helped by bland Glenn Ford in the lead either. I was so distracted by Lee Remick's overapplied lipstick in the opening scene, I couldn't concentrate on what was going on. I was surprised that Eddie didn't point out the incongruity of Lee Remick being a lowly bank teller, yet affording a swank house in the Twin Peaks part of town! Those were the days, I guess! I could see how this film pushed the envelope a bit for this kind of story, but was still hampered by the code and couldn't go too far (Powers kidnapping).
I had the same thoughts re: Remick's house and almost new convertible for a bank teller. Not to mention caring for her sister as well.
The film is slow and Ford is "bland."
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

I love Experiment In Terror, I like the fact that it is just a lean, mean thriller with no time for romance or comic relief.

Glenn Ford can be bland but not here, his no nonsense FBI man is well suited to him. He does show some kindness to the little boy whose mother is involved with psycho killer Ross Martin.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I am guessing that the Twin Peaks home is the one Kelly and Toby were raised in -- the parents died (according to the backstory I've created) and left it to their children in a will.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

laffite wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:44 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:33 pm I would agree. And for me the ultimate creep-out scene in TERROR is Remick at the mirror in the women's restroom....
I was about the same age as Stephanie (I haven't looked it up, but close) and that delectable creature was one of my first mad crushes that still reigns supreme. Unless Dargo has taken her away from me. Although she lost her appeal when she grew up. She had my heart but not my Hart.
And then on the other hand, and while I'll say my crush on Stefanie (spelled with a 'f' not a 'ph', and whose 81th birthday is actally today, coincidentally) was created when as kid I watched her just a few years later on from this film and when she starred on TV's 'The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.' (and perhaps also when your crush was on her was created as well?), I've always thought she got even more fetching and attractive as she gained a few years under her belt.

And especially so when she was in her forties and co-starring with Robert Wagner in 'Hart to Hart'...

(...FWIW, when I watched 'EIT' this past weekend for maybe the third time now, I was once again reminded of how, oh I dunno, I guess I'd say kind'a pudgy and gangly she was in her teenage years and before she starred in the spinoff U.N.C.L.E. program)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 4:33 pm
laffite wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:44 pm
And then on the other hand, and while I'll say my crush on Stefanie (spelled with a 'f' not a 'ph', and whose 81th birthday is actally today, coincidentally) was created when as kid I watched her just a few years later on from this film and when she starred on TV's 'The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.' (and perhaps also when your crush was on her was created as well?), I've always thought she got even more fetching and attractive as she gained a few years under her belt.

And especially so when she was in her forties and co-starring with Robert Wagner in 'Hart to Hart'...

(...FWIW, when I watched 'EIT' this past weekend for maybe the third time now, I was once again reminded of how, oh I dunno, I guess I'd say kind'a pudgy and gangly she was in her teenage years and before she starred in the spinoff U.N.C.L.E. program)
She was given the glamour look later on. That did not appeal to me. I liked her high school innocent look in the film.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

[/quote]

Dargo, you might get a chuckle over this creem magazine pasting of Hart to Hart if I correctly recall reading: "We're beautiful, and you're not. So there!"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

And speaking of Ross Martin here...

My best buddy Phil in SoCal who's a fellow motorcycle nut (pictured with Jay Leno standing behind Phil's beautiful 1954 Harley custom Panhead Bobber) has always reminded me of Ross Martin quite a bit...

(...anyone else see it?...perhaps the idea of both Ross and Phil being nice Jewish boys whose families hailed from central European countries might explain this)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: November 2nd, 2023, 5:28 pm And speaking of Ross Martin here...

My best buddy Phil in SoCal who's a fellow motorcycle nut (pictured with Jay Leno standing behind Phil's beautiful 1954 Harley custom Panhead Bobber) has always reminded me of Ross Martin quite a bit...

(...anyone else see it?)
...or is that Ross Martin's alter ego in disguise, Dargo?? ;)