Glaring Error, 5 minutes after High Noon?

Discussion of programming on TCM.
klondike

Glaring Error, 5 minutes after High Noon?

Post by klondike »

OK, this ain't the first date for me and High Noon . . but, it can be amazing what you notice the 4th or 5th time around.
(I really only watch it to get my Katy Jurado fix, anyway.)
So here's the glitch: Grace drives herself & la linda Katy to the train depot, in Will's honeymoon buckboard, as they are both turning their backs (supposedly) on the blood bath soon to erupt.
Then, as the first shots ring out betwixt Marshal Kane & the Miller Gang, Grace leaps up from her seat next to the Senora in the passenger car and runs off the train, alighting the platform just seconds before the steward pulled the steps and the train goes steaming up the tracks out of Hadleyville.
And yet, as the relieved townfolk cluster about the bruised newlyweds after the triumphant climax, a well-wisher delivers that same buckboard back to them - with Grace's luggage still roped to the back!
Come now - shouldn't those gladstones & valises & leather hatboxes have been well on their way to Lordsburg or Shinbone or Amarillo, in the baggage car of that train?
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I noticed that too Klondike, but this time I saw two other things:

1. In the wide angle shot of Kane standing alone in the street after he can't find anyone to stand up with him, you can see L.A. or Burbank or whatever, in the background over the hills.

2. During the showdown, Kane is guarding himself behind a building to his left, but very next camera angle closeup, the building is to his right.

See my comments on The Tin Star and let me know what you thought.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Missed those but the thing that always bugged me in the climax was the way Cooper's gun went off when Grace ducks out of the way. It looks like it goes off as he is pulling the gun up as if it were a mistake but the guy goes down anyway.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Ever notice how someone is announced ( 'Here comes whats his name' ) before he comes into view? Sometimes it's funny.