SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Andree

Re: SPORTS

Post by Andree »

Since the Patriots and the Panthers were horrible this season, I'm concentrating all my dislike on the
Cowboys. The sooner they are beaten the better. I don't give much hope for the Steelers, but we'll see.
During the regular season the NFL network reran some of the non-network games at midnight Sunday/Monday.
Not sure if they'll do the same during the playoffs.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:36 pm Since the Patriots and the Panthers were horrible this season, I'm concentrating all my dislike on the
Cowboys. The sooner they are beaten the better. I don't give much hope for the Steelers, but we'll see.
During the regular season the NFL network reran some of the non-network games at midnight Sunday/Monday.
Not sure if they'll do the same during the playoffs.
Yea I'll be pulling for Green Bay to upset the Cowboys. This is a major test for Coach McCarthy and Dak Prescott. Can they win a must-win game?

Cowboys have no running game and too much depends on CD Lamb. Double cover Lamb and make the others beat you. I don't think those others are up to the task!

If McCarthy and Prescott, are one-and-done, at least one of them will not be a Cowboy next season.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:18 pm
jimimac71 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:02 pm ...I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
SF Giants baseball was interesting. The sound from the crowd was noticably in stereo sound.
Yeah, but AM stereo still could never bring to the radio listening audience how freakin' cool and damp the old Candlestick Park was during a twilight doubleheader, huh jimimac! ;)
"That's Why The Lady Is A Tramp."
Technically: Cold and Damp.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 12th, 2024, 5:27 pm

Yea I'll be pulling for Green Bay to upset the Cowboys. This is a major test for Coach McCarthy and Dak Prescott. Can they win a must-win game?

Cowboys have no running game and too much depends on CD Lamb. Double cover Lamb and make the others beat you. I don't think those others are up to the task!

If McCarthy and Prescott, are one-and-done, at least one of them will not be a Cowboy next season.
Aren't the Cowboys undefeated at home this season? That doesn't mean they won't lose this game,
but it certainly tilts in their favor to some degree. If the Eagles hadn't screwed up at the end of
the season, it might be a different story. Certainly Green Bay has a chance. We'll know soon
enough.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 12th, 2024, 7:59 pm

Aren't the Cowboys undefeated at home this season? That doesn't mean they won't lose this game,
but it certainly tilts in their favor to some degree. If the Eagles hadn't screwed up at the end of
the season, it might be a different story. Certainly Green Bay has a chance. We'll know soon
enough.
Considering that Prescott has had 8 seasons to prove that he can be a Super Bowl winning QB or even a Conference winning QB and has failed this challenge at every opportunity, and because whenever he's under pressure his decision-making process seems to break down, I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay pulls off the upset this Sunday.

(...and also considering that GB's young QB Jordan Love is playing very good ball of late)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:18 pm
jimimac71 wrote: January 12th, 2024, 4:02 pm ...I go way back to AM stereo and had it in my car.
SF Giants baseball was interesting. The sound from the crowd was noticably in stereo sound.
Yeah, but AM stereo still could never bring to the radio listening audience how freakin' cool and damp the old Candlestick Park was during a twilight doubleheader, huh jimimac! ;)
Anyone under the age of 40 will probably wonder what a doubleheader is.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:23 pm

enough.
Considering that Prescott has had 8 seasons to prove that he can be a Super Bowl winning QB or even a Conference winning QB and has failed this challenge at every opportunity, and because whenever he's under pressure his decision-making process seems to break down, I wouldn't be surprised if Green Bay pulls off the upset this Sunday.

(...and also considering that GB's young QB Jordan Love is playing very good ball of late)
Hey guys! Isn't it fun watching "America's Team" getting blown out today?!!! :yahoo:

So James, it looks like we both called it correctly here, huh! ;)

(...btw, did you guys catch Jimmy Johnson goin' absolutely berserk during the halftime show?...loved THAT too!)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: January 14th, 2024, 7:02 pm
Dargo wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:23 pm

enough.

Hey guys! Isn't it fun watching "America's Team" getting blown out today?!!! :yahoo:

So James, it looks like we both called it correctly here, huh! ;)

(...btw, did you guys catch Jimmy Johnson goin' absolutely berserk during the halftime show?...loved THAT too!)
Sweet win for Green Bay. It was great seeing the Cowboy lose, yet again, anytime there is a must-win game.
Andree

Post by Andree »

America's team got creamed. Not only did the Cowboys lose, they lost big, though the Green Bay
defense got a little sloppy in the fourth quarter. The only thing missing was a shot of Jerry Jones
at the end of the game having a meltdown. Maybe next year..... :smiley_sick:
jamesjazzguitar

While I wasn't surprised the Cowboys melted down, I am surprised the Philly Eagles just gave up. Hurts may have been more injured than the team let on, but that doesn't explain the defense or the lack of any running game. It will be interesting to see if there is a coaching change. Eagles' ownership doesn't hold on to players or coaches that underperform.
laffite

Post by laffite »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 16th, 2024, 1:47 pm While I wasn't surprised the Cowboys melted down, I am surprised the Philly Eagles just gave up. Hurts may have been more injured than the team let on, but that doesn't explain the defense or the lack of any running game. It will be interesting to see if there is a coaching change. Eagles' ownership doesn't hold on to players or coaches that underperform.
Point taken, but the Eagles were 1-5 their last five games of the regular season, so there has been something wrong for a long time.
The Shining Hour (1938)
jamesjazzguitar

Andree wrote: January 15th, 2024, 12:10 am America's team got creamed. Not only did the Cowboys lose, they lost big, though the Green Bay
defense got a little sloppy in the fourth quarter. The only thing missing was a shot of Jerry Jones
at the end of the game having a meltdown. Maybe next year..... :smiley_sick:
Unrelated to sports did you know that Winston Churchill's wartime false teeth are up for sale?

I know how much you love the guy, and the price should only be around 10K (US).
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 19th, 2024, 2:50 pm
Unrelated to sports did you know that Winston Churchill's wartime false teeth are up for sale?

Didn't know that. You have to be a fanatic to pay for a celebrity's false teeth.
While alive Churchswill was pretty much up for sale himself. He was quite
corrupt, but it was corruption that was accepted at the time. Today it would
be a big negative.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: January 19th, 2024, 5:06 pm

Didn't know that. You have to be a fanatic to pay for a celebrity's false teeth.
be a big negative.
Ahem...I assume you meant here, "today" on the OTHER side of the pond, right Andree?!!! ;)

And 'cause and as I'm SURE you know, there's a certain guy over HERE on THIS side of the pond who's STILL somehow riding pretty darn hign in the polls! Uh-huh, and 'cause SOMEHOW he's gotten a WHOLE lot of people on THIS side of the pond believin' him when he tells 'em that everyone ELSE is "corrupt" but HIM!!! LOL

(...ah, but maybe we shouldn't continue on with this subject here, huh...yep, maybe should get back to the topic of "Sports" here, huh...and so, who do you like in this weekend's NFL playoff games?)
jamesjazzguitar

Dargo wrote: January 19th, 2024, 9:55 pm
Andree wrote: January 19th, 2024, 5:06 pm

be a big negative.
Ahem...I assume you meant here, "today" on the OTHER side of the pond, right Andree?!!! ;)

And 'cause and as I'm SURE you know, there's a certain guy over HERE on THIS side of the pond who's STILL somehow riding pretty darn hign in the polls! Uh-huh, and 'cause SOMEHOW he's gotten a WHOLE lot of people on THIS side of the pond believin' him when he tells 'em that everyone ELSE is "corrupt" but HIM!!! LOL

(...ah, but maybe we shouldn't continue on with this subject here, huh...yep, maybe should get back to the topic of "Sports" here, huh...and so, who do you like in this weekend's NFL playoff games?)
As for this weekend NFL games, I'm picking: 49ers, Ravens, Lions and Bills.

PS: I just realized I picked all of the home team, as well as very vanilla picks, but I don't see upsets like we saw last week. That is because these teams have much better coaching staff then losers like Mike McCarthy.