MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
TikiSoo

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by TikiSoo »

The Fisher King is one of my favorite movies of all time (I once visited all the locations in NYC)
I just watched a DVD of Sunday Bloody Sunday because of the stellar leads but only found the story interesting when they were on the screen.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:47 pm Please tell me why I was so upset seeing Fred Astaire squeezing a rabbit very tightly by the ears in EASTER PARADE.

Okay it was a stuffed bunny but still.....lol.
My guess on this Bronxie, is that your feelings of over-empathizing with that bunny all might stem from your well-known and long-suffering case of Rabbititis.

(...btw, the ghosts of Lloyd Nolan and Zachary Scott have just whispered in my ear and said to say hello to ya)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:38 am
Hibi wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:06 am So who watched Goodbye Charlie? Despite the Mank saying it was a premiere. I still say they aired it before. (I doubt he researches what they write for him to say) Yay or Nay? (I recorded it).
I watched it last night Hibi, and I don't think I laughed once during it. Yep, it was pretty bad.

The only things I can say I liked about it was seeing Debbie and Tony during a time in which they were probably at the height of their physical attractiveness, and seeing all the toney SoCal locations shown in it such as Malibu during the time of its production of the mid-'60s.

(...oh, and Pat Boone's Ferrari and Tony's E-Type Jaguar were pretty attractive to me as well, of course)

I finished the second hr. of Goodbye, Charlie last night (nothing worth watching on tv) and have to concur. I didn't laugh ONCE! And what a lame ending. NO STARS.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Anyone feel the earthquake? My building shook.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:56 am Anyone feel the earthquake? My building shook.
Yeah, looks like you guys just experienced a 4.8 back there, huh.

(...that's a fairly big one for your neck of the woods, isn't it)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:56 am Anyone feel the earthquake? My building shook.
I didn't because I am in San Diego. Yeah, haha. We are still waiting for the Big One. If it's going to happen in my lifetime it had better hurry. Maybe I'll be floating in the Pacific ere I shuffle off this mortal coil. Were you in NYC when a hurricane occurred 1985? It wasn't much, at least where I was (Staten Island) The anchors on TV were falling over themselves trying to make it sound exciting. My most exciting weather day was Jan 21 1985 when the temperature in NYC hit -2 with a wind chill of -27. I discovered much later that 1-21-85 was the coldest in The Big Apple in 43 years. I looked for a job that day thinking it might be good day for it. I gave up and stood in line at the Metropolitan Opera House for a cancellation for Otello which I got. Placido was the lead and Sherrill was Iago. Margaret Price might have been Desdemona. //
The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Did you miss the big blizzard? I think that was in the 70s. That would send anyone to San Diego!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I haven't experienced the blizzards or hurricanes of my NYC youth in many years. Today, a few snow flakes send people into a tizzy. Of recent blizzards, I remember the one of January 1996, which was intense but fun.

Regarding the earthquake, it was evidently worse in parts of New Jersey. The last earthquake I remember in NYC took place two weeks after 9/11 at 2am. I was living in Long Island City, Queens, which is right across the East River from Manhattan. It was terrifying because at first we thought it was a follow-up terrorist attack. The epicenter for that one was under the East River (which is actually not really a river).

Now, I live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, near the Hudson (which is really is river). What happens in New Jersey is likely to be felt here, although today's earthquake was also felt in Boston and Philly.
Last edited by Swithin on April 5th, 2024, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

The largest quakes I've ever experienced all those years I lived in L.A. were the 1971 magnitude-6.6 Sylmar quake and the 1994 magnitude-6.7 Northridge quake. Both being strong enough to "get your attention" you might say and during them having me wonder if they were indeed going to be "The Big One" they say is inevitable to befall The City of Angels.

(...and with both of them having their epicenters located about 30 miles north of where I lived in the L.A. beach towns South Bay area)
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 pm Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

It is a charming fantasy starring Ava Gardner as the ancient goddess of love who comes to life after Robert Walker kisses her department store statue.

Haven't seen this in ages!
Don't see it on the schedule :smiley_huh:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

It was supposed to play tomorrow the 6th,it was advertised as a premiere ! Not playing in Canada this I knew in advance but the 945 pm spot is empty in the USA
Last edited by nakanosunplaza on April 5th, 2024, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 5th, 2024, 1:17 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 pm Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

It is a charming fantasy starring Ava Gardner as the ancient goddess of love who comes to life after Robert Walker kisses her department store statue.

Haven't seen this in ages!
Don't see it on the schedule :smiley_huh:
so I checked my DTV schedule & I see it @8:45 pm (CT)
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: April 4th, 2024, 1:44 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:17 pm Wasn't Joanne Dru married to John Ireland?

I will say no more, lol.
Yes and she divorced him when he slept with Joanie during Queen Bee!

John did a lot of buzzing around the hive.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I vividly remember sitting on my living room couch in Hollywood back in the late seventies one afternoon when all of a sudden I felt a -- this is hard to describe -- a "splitting" underneath of the ground -- some sort of weird shake that lasted only about three seconds. I had never experienced an earthquake before but somehow knew that's what it was, even in the form of a slight tremor. It was such an odd powerless feeling, even though I didn't experience any real alarm or fear.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: April 4th, 2024, 1:45 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:31 pm Hibi, I kind of like TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE but it's creepy what with James Stewart being so obsessed over daughter Sandra Dee's virginity. Robert Morley's dry British wit is welcome, though. There's a running gag throughout the movie -- everyone thinks Jimmy is Jimmy Stewart the actor, lol. Morley sees him walking out of a hotel and exclaims to a passerby: "Do you know who that is? James Stewart! (sighs) Will you ever forget him in GONE WITH THE WIND?"

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is all camp as far as I'm concerned, lol. But that's much better than being dull; i.e., THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.
It's been so long since I've seen Take Her I can't remember much about it! I think Elizabeth Ashley played the part on Broadway (not Jimmy's role!)

Was it a Broadway play? Ashley played a lot of those roles on stage.