Vietnam War essentially ignored - Again!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
ElCid

Vietnam War essentially ignored - Again!

Post by ElCid »

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, but TCM ignores the Vietnam war on Memorial Day (3-4 days) and other relevant holidays.
Never understood why as there are well over 100 movies about the war in Vietnam.
Platoon is on Friday, May 24, but that is the only Vietnam War movie on as far as I can tell. Actually this is unique for TCM to show any Vietnam War movie.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Fedya

Re: Vietnam War essentially ignored - Again!

Post by Fedya »

Decoration Day should be devoted to Civil War movies.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TCM is mostly a studio-era movie channel. Most of the Vietnam war films were released after the end of the studio-era. Also, many are anti-war films, and it is my understanding most Americans view the Vietnam war as a misguided (at best), conflict by the US government. Thus, showing such films on Memorial Day might upset too many folks. E.g. what would be the reaction if TCM showed Platoon or Full Metal Jacket on Memorial Day Weekend?

PS: I'm glad I copied the above before re-posting since I have noticed that if I'm typing a new post and while I am doing so, someone else post a new post, when I hit submit, my post is NOT submitted. Thus, if I have a long post I copy it, so I can quickly re-submit it.

Has this occurred to anyone else?
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

If they showed Vietnam movies there would be so many asking why they’re showing newer movies. There is no pleasing people.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I grow tired of seeing Dargo's favorite film every chance TCM can show it. "The Best Years of Our Lives" plays at least 6 times a year. I'm not a fan of war movies and have to agree, TCM loves to show older movies. Memorial Day is the beginning of Summer. Play Summertime movies. Mix it up. War movies are not everything we should have available.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LostHorizons wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 7:26 pm If they showed Vietnam movies there would be so many asking why they’re showing newer movies. There is no pleasing people.
True, however I have noticed TCM showing a lot of post-studio era films of late, and not that I think there's any problem with that.

And now for one more comment about that sort of thing...

Perhaps one of the better consequences of TCM shutting down their forum is that at least we regulars here at SSO don't have to witness what I used to call "One-Post Wonders" offering up on those old boards their disgust about TCM occasionally showing "newer" movies.

Yep, as I'm sure you remember LH, we'd used to run across that sort of thing over there all the time.

(...and if it wasn't THAT, you could always count on some "One-Post Wonder" complaining that TCM never showed 'It's a Wonderful Life' come every Christmas season TOO, right?!) ;) LOL
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jimimac71 wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 7:39 pm I grow tired of seeing Dargo's favorite film every chance TCM can show it. "The Best Years of Our Lives" plays at least 6 times a year. I'm not a fan of war movies and have to agree, TCM loves to show older movies. Memorial Day is the beginning of Summer. Play Summertime movies. Mix it up. War movies are not everything we should have available.
Why do I suddenly feel like Dana Andrews walking into his apartment and discovering a smarmy Steve Cochran making himself feel at home in his wife's presence???!!!

;) LOL

(...yeah yeah, jimmimac...I do have to admit that TCM shows THE greatest movie ever made...okay okay, MY favorite all-time movie, a whole lot, don't they)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

They could have covered more than seven hours of programming by showing the longest versions of Apocalypse Now and The Deer Hunter.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

I can imagine why TCM is unenthusiastic about showing Vietnam War films. But every year I wonder when they will show The Thin Red Line
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 6:30 pm TCM is mostly a studio-era movie channel. Most of the Vietnam war films were released after the end of the studio-era. Also, many are anti-war films, and it is my understanding most Americans view the Vietnam war as a misguided (at best), conflict by the US government. Thus, showing such films on Memorial Day might upset too many folks. E.g. what would be the reaction if TCM showed Platoon or Full Metal Jacket on Memorial Day Weekend?

PS: I'm glad I copied the above before re-posting since I have noticed that if I'm typing a new post and while I am doing so, someone else post a new post, when I hit submit, my post is NOT submitted. Thus, if I have a long post I copy it, so I can quickly re-submit it.

YES.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It's odd. Since I don't like to watch war films in general, (I rarely watch anything on Memorial wknd), I haven't noticed this. It's probably a political thing. Safer not to cover it as the POV of a particular film may upset some people.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 6:30 pm TCM is mostly a studio-era movie channel. Most of the Vietnam war films were released after the end of the studio-era. Also, many are anti-war films, and it is my understanding most Americans view the Vietnam war as a misguided (at best), conflict by the US government. Thus, showing such films on Memorial Day might upset too many folks. E.g. what would be the reaction if TCM showed Platoon or Full Metal Jacket on Memorial Day Weekend?

As I noted, Platoon is actually being shown on the 24th. But this is a rarity for TCM.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

There are older Vietnam war movies, such as China Gate (1957), Flame over Vietnam (1957) and The Quiet American (1958). 1978's Go Tell the Spartans (Burt Lancaster) is one of my favorites.
TCM is also showing a goodly number of fairly recent movies of all types these days, so going back to the 80's and before is compatible with their programming.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Dargo wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 7:54 pm
jimimac71 wrote: May 23rd, 2024, 7:39 pm I grow tired of seeing Dargo's favorite film every chance TCM can show it. "The Best Years of Our Lives" plays at least 6 times a year. I'm not a fan of war movies and have to agree, TCM loves to show older movies. Memorial Day is the beginning of Summer. Play Summertime movies. Mix it up. War movies are not everything we should have available.
Why do I suddenly feel like Dana Andrews walking into his apartment and discovering a smarmy Steve Cochran making himself feel at home in his wife's presence???!!!

;) LOL

(...yeah yeah, jimmimac...I do have to admit that TCM shows THE greatest movie ever made...okay okay, MY favorite all-time movie, a whole lot, don't they)
I think TCM should play my favorite every time they play your favorite. You know, Victor/Victoria. I can be flexible there. Another Julie Andrews and James Garner film, The Americanization of Emily works too.
American Graffiti is going to play again in July. I think that will make 3 times. It has been a long time since I've seen More American Graffiti but it could quality as a Vietnam war film.
Woof! You've Got Mail!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

ElCid wrote: May 24th, 2024, 8:48 am There are older Vietnam war movies, such as China Gate (1957), Flame over Vietnam (1957) and The Quiet American (1958). 1978's Go Tell the Spartans (Burt Lancaster) is one of my favorites.
TCM is also showing a goodly number of fairly recent movies of all types these days, so going back to the 80's and before is compatible with their programming.
Those 3 50s films are about the French Vietnam war and thus I don't see them as a good fit for US Memorial Day weekend. Go Tell the Spartans would be a great film for TCM to show during Memorial Day since it stars a high-profile studio-era actor in Burt Lancaster.