High Noon Remake

Post by MissGoddess »

It's true.

News that Gary Cooper fans may very well dread to read:

High Noon to be Remade:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 4dc9778fbe
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Lord luv a duck!!! I only hope Chris remembers his Dad's remarks and just keeps it simple. Also, that he does NOT get Russell Crowe to play the marshall. eeeeewwwww.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Honest to hullygee, gang, I can't think of too many youngsters these days who have the chops to play the Cooper role. I"m assuming any studio will insist that it's a youngster, to reel in the teens, who seem to make up the majority of the moviegoing public, according to the studios.

I can see maybe Harrison Ford doing it. After all the character is supposed to be about to retire. Crowe - I don't know. I don't think he has the inner quiet that Cooper could muster, but he was able to evince some depth in A Beautiful Mind.

Since I don't see very many current films any more, I'm not too well versed in the skill sets of the current crop of actors. What I do see, once the newer movies get to cable, doesn't impress me much in terms of star power. Plus, I think this role needs an actor of a certain age - someone on the far side of 35. Maybe they should let Meryl Streep or Morgan Freeman do it - they are the older actors of the moment.

All of this begs the question: why should this movie need to be remade at all? What's wrong with the original? A little well-placed PR could bring any one of these classics back into public awareness.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This article ends with the question the American Film Market principals should have started with: "Can anyone fill Gary Cooper's shoes?"

http://www.bww.cinematical.com/2007/11/ ... -a-remake/
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Regarding the question of filling Gary's shoes - on High Noon - I would offer the following three names - All three are still good looking enough to attract a 20-something bride, yet also getting up there in age:

Dennis Quaid
Harrison Ford
Robert Redford

Any other nominees?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Forget drawing the kiddie crowd. Write in some hunky sidekick to sit around and look good as a stable hand. This part needs to go to Robert Duvall. He loves westerns and has the chops to pull it off.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Probably Ed Harris would get my vote for the role of Will Kane. Him or Scott Glenn. I loved "The Right Stuff" and I wish most of the actors in there had been able to do westerns, but that era had passed.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:Regarding the question of filling Gary's shoes - on High Noon - I would offer the following three names - All three are still good looking enough to attract a 20-something bride, yet also getting up there in age:

Dennis Quaid
Harrison Ford
Robert Redford

Any other nominees?

Anne

I feel sorry for any actor who has to step into those boots. :P

At any rate, anything they decide to do will only make Gary and his movie look even better than it already does. And will draw even more attention to the original.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

How about Sam Elliot, Tom Selleck, Nick Nolte or, just for fun, Gary Busey? :roll:
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
klondike

Post by klondike »

All good points, and riveting challenges of casting to be sure, but I bet I've got one that trumps all others:

Where, o where, between Bedford Falls & Black Rock, can one find just the right gal to fill Katy Jurado's shoes ?!!
:roll:
No disrespect to Salma, or Wanda, or Penelope, or Michelle, or even ay caramba Eva, but, all Latin passion & pulchritude aside, none of them have the pure power of presence to match the way that Empress Katy branded her image onto those frames!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

All the suggestions above strike me as doable, and I'll add Sam Shepard to the mix.

As for the Katy Jurado part - that character could be something other than Mexican, I think. There were plenty of immigrants of all backgrounds in the West then, just as now. I do think she has to be non-"standard" though, as a contrast to the serene and apple pie character of the new wife.

My vote is for the beautiful and very skilled Italian actress, Valeria Golino.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hello Miss G

Tom Skerritt has all ready played Will Kane in a tv movie. one difference here. Amy kills Frank Miller to prevent him killing her hubby
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Encore Westerns has been running "High Noon II." It is with Lee Majors from the late 70's or early 80's. Can't bring myself to watch it. If I can forget he plays Will Kane maybe I'll have a shot.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."