The Last Sunset

mrsl

The Last Sunset

Post by mrsl »

When loitering over at TCM, I read a post from Miss Goddess regarding a scene from this movie that gave her the queezies. I have to agree with you Miss G. However, although it seems like what you fear occurred, I don't think it actually did. For the time the movie was made, that would have been too crossing the line. Today might be a different story, but not in 1961.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

I remember reading reviews of The Last Sunset where the scene in question left the critics with the queezies and thinking the same thing that MissG did.

I have not seen the film but have always wanted to judge for myself about that scene.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman

The Last Sunset (1961)

Post by movieman »

This is one of my favorite westerns. It's a different kind of western.
Very melodramatic screenplay by Dalton Trumbo.

It features a young and beautiful Carol Lynley. I'd never seen her in anything prior to this. I loved her.

Dorothy Malone is very good at the strong woman kind of roles. Like in this case.

Kirk Douglas is fine. Rock Hudson does it straightforward which is the case in most of his movies, except for the Douglas Sirk melodramas.

Jospeh Cotten is, sadly, wasted in a small and thankless part.

It's beautifully filmed and very entertaining.
The scene with the calf was so touching it almost made me cry.
That's it, the film touched me in many ways. Films like that can, at times, be very good.

Read this interesting article on the film at TCM.com:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.js ... eId=138976

Even B
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Lynn:

The Last Sunset is on pretty often on the Western Channel.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Re: The Last Sunset

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote:When loitering over at TCM, I read a post from Miss Goddess regarding a scene from this movie that gave her the queezies. I have to agree with you Miss G. However, although it seems like what you fear occurred, I don't think it actually did. For the time the movie was made, that would have been too crossing the line. Today might be a different story, but not in 1961.

Anne
Well, Anne, if there is any debatability about to where that scene led, the TCM website sure has its mind made up:

Synopsis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American lawman Dana Stribling rides into Mexico in search of Brendan O'Malley, wanted for the murder of Dana's brother-in-law. He finds O'Malley working for John Breckenridge, a whisky-sodden cattleman readying his herd for a drive across the border to the Texas town of Crazy Horse. (O'Malley has been trying unsuccessfully to resume an affair he had 16 years before with Breckenridge's wife, Belle.) Dana, unable to serve his warrant in Mexico, signs on as a trail boss, but not before warning O'Malley that a showdown is imminent the minute they cross the border. Shortly after the trek begins, Breckenridge is killed in a barroom brawl. Dana and O'Malley take over the drive and, though still enemies, gradually develop a grudging admiration for each other. As the days pass, Belle and Dana fall in love and O'Malley is pursued by Belle's teenaged daughter, Missy. After some adventures along the way, the company arrives with the herd at the Rio Grande. Before crossing, Belle decides to celebrate. Missy dresses up in one of her mother's gowns, and O'Malley, startled by her resemblance to the Belle of 16 years ago, makes ardent love to her. Belle then confronts him with the knowledge that Missy is his daughter. Shattered by the revelation, O'Malley empties his pistol and permits Dana to kill him in their showdown.