NOSFERATU Resurrected Again! Retains Plenty Of Bite!

Gagman 66

NOSFERATU Resurrected Again! Retains Plenty Of Bite!

Post by Gagman 66 »

:? To be honest, NOSFERATU (1922), is one of those much ballyhooed Silent films that I have never really cared much for in the past. And I have seen numerous versions over the years.

:o That being said, I did not think that the Photo-play Productions Edition of F. W. Murna's classic produced, and restored by Kevin Brownlow, and Patrick Stansbury in 1998 and boasting the James Bernard score, could be improved upon.

:shock: Well, I was wrong! Dead wrong! The Murna foundation has surpassed the previous best version and than some! The new Ultimate Edition DVD released in November by both Eureka in the Britain, and Kino in the States presents the film in it's truest form ever, since it's initial release in 1922! The frame-rate's have been replicated, and the tinting pattern reinstated.

:D Most impressive of all, the Vintage 1921 Hans Erdmann score proves that nothing beats the original! An Orchestral score specifically written for this films Berlin Premier in March of 1922! Newly recorded, but faithfully reproduced, down to the smallest detail. And it is to say the least phenomenal! Among the greatest Silent film scores that I have heard.

:wink: I must say that I now have a an entirely new appreciation of this film. The restoration literally set's new standards to aspire to. Few Silent films have been better restored. This is in the same Class as Ernst Lubitsch THE OYSTER PRINCESS (1919), which is among the most flawless prints I have ever seen of any Silent!

8) The re-mastered print of NOSFERATU, is simply astonishing! Really for the first time I understand what the film is supposed to be about! Even if you have seen this movie numerous times in the past, you have not seen it like this before! Max Schreck as the un-dead Rodent-like Count Orlok is Ugly! I never even noticed the little tuffs of hair before growing around his pointy ears! Had anyone else? Nock his flunky is a Nutcase, even before falling under the Master's Spell? Greta Schroeder the heroine, was allot better looking than I had realized. The only thing I still am not to clear on, is what happened to all those plague infested Rats, that were transported to the town aboard ship??? They just seemed to Vanish into thin air? Also had the good Count pretty much been feasting on the blood of most everyone in town, or was that the Rats?

I think I paid just over $15.00 plus shipping for the 2 disc set. So I got a pretty good deal on it in my opinion. Haven't watched the second disc yet. But there are allot of extra's on both of them. In all likelyhood, this latest version will probably replace the Photo-play Productions one that TCM has been been airing from time to time, before long. I expect it will probably debut sometime later this year.

:roll: I would just like to know why can't somebody give us such Masterpieces as Frank Borzage's SEVENTH HEAVEN and STREET ANGEL, with Janet Gaynor, and Charles Farrell, or Raoul Walsh, WHAT PRICE GLORY? with Victor McLaglen, Edmund Lowe, and Delores Del Rio, or how about Murna's own CITY GIRL with farrell, and Mary Duncan, re-mastered in this same way? Maybe even George Fitzmaurice LILAC TIME with Colleen Moore, and Gary Cooper? Or Josef' Von Sternberg's UNDERWORLD with George Bancroft, Evelyn Brent, and Clive Brook?

:o To me these films mean every bit as much as NOSFERATU does, if not more! Largely vaulted away as they have been such titles can't be discovered by the vast majority of Film Buffs, This simply has to change!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm like you, never been into Nosferatu although it is highly regarded, it just hasn't hit the spot with me.

It's always a good think when new prints or new scenes are found. I'm glad you've got a new appreciation for the film.

Now, instead of reissuing films, can we have some films that haven;t been released, please. Marion Davies, more Clara, etc.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin