Icons Poised to Re-Emerge?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Icons Poised to Re-Emerge?

Post by moira finnie »

A question on the TCM boards made me wonder if others here might find some info about Icons magazine, devoted to the classic studio era, which I believe had one premiere issue last year, to be of interest to our members. Perhaps others know more about it and will share their knowledge.

I'm not sure if the pricey magazine will find its way to the marketplace, especially since this is a tough period for glossy print mags. This kind of niche marketing might be even tougher with the economic & technological issues facing consumers and publishers. Rumor has it that the writer's strike last Fall put the magazine Icons on hold, but a quasi-regular radio broadcast, also called Icons seems poised to re-emerge.

Stephen Bogart (yes, Ms. Bacall & Humphrey Bogart's son, who has been a producer, notably at ESPN), and John Mulholland are scheduled to host Eli Wallach on Sunday, May 18th, 2008 at 8PM ET. You can also hear several of their past shows here. Some of their previous guests include such interesting folk as actress Jean Simmons, Joan Leslie, the sometimes ubiquitous producer A.C. Lyles, (responsible for the much beloved Night of the Lepus, among other classic & not so classic movies :wink:), several children of movie stars, including Kerry Kelly (daughter of Gene), Jamie Niven (son of David), Rory Flynn (daughter of Errol), as well as others.

I've listened to a few of these and, while they tend to ramble, it's rather refreshing to hear the visitors allowed to voice their own thoughts, (not just responding to pre-digested queries from their laid back interviewers Messrs. Bogart &. Mulholland.)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

They also had Charlton Heston as a guest. John Mulholland, as you may know, has just completed the documentary that is to appear on the upcoming special edition dvd release of High Noon and he makes sure that if any guests he has on his radio show have some connection to Gary Cooper, they talk about it. :D

As I understand it ICONS is still only available via subscription, but at least one person I know who subscribed never received their first issue. Too bad, because it looks beautiful.