Charlton Heston RIP

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The Cid is dead:

http://tinyurl.com/5byzq3

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Just caught the news. He'd been sick for some time I guess so it couldn't be unexpected.

With all the big roles he did I think I heard him once say "Will Penny" was his favorite. I liked him in that and "The Big Country."

One of the great voices too.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I dunno if it was my frame of mind but I hated WILL PENNY. As crazy as it may seem I think my favourite role of his is from PLANET OF THE APES.

R.I.P. even if I violently oppose his political views he was still one of the giants of Hollywood and indeed, his voice was one of the most distinct and greatest. Was he ever in a movie with James Earl Jones? That would be magical hearing those two talking to each other on screen just for the vocal quality alone.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

After I saw him talk about being well-paid by the gun lobby to support his favorite constitutional right to kill people with guns, I am only sorry he didn't die that way. I have a feeling he wished he'd have died that way, too.
klondike

Post by klondike »

My heart is literally quivering.
I'm aware that the designation of The Last Matinee Idol was coined to pay homage to Tyrone Power, but stretching the parameters a bit, I felt it more properly belonged to this man.
We all knew he was getting "up there", and that his health was faltering, and still . . .
Granted, he was the youngest of the big post-War marquee names (Lancaster, Mitchum, Douglas, Peck, Widmark, et al), and so, logically, the one to begin the latest, and yet it always felt to me as if if he was the final torch-bearer for the grand old Studio Era.
[ s i g h]
Well, while I'm still in stunned mode, I'm gonna break out my bootleg copy of Secret of The Incas, and treat myself to the real genesis of the Indiana Jones matinee legacy.
If I feel up to it, maybe I'll sit down to The Naked Jungle after lunch.
Wow . . . what a milestone Spring this is being!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Regardless of other projects (film and otherwise), he'll be a giant for TOUCH OF EVIL, both for helping Orson Welles get the directing job and for his own performance.

A few entries from Heston's journal at the time:

March 30: I came in after dawn this morning, too full of the exhilaration of work and watching the sun come up to go to sleep. My son took his first steps one year ago today, and I almost feel I’m only beginning to do the same on this film. Orson is certainly the most exciting director I’ve ever worked with. God… maybe it will all really begin to happen now.

June 17: I very nearly finished my dubbing on TOUCH OF EVIL with a long session today. Orson continues to amaze me with the ideas he has. He created a climax for me in the bar scene that wasn’t in the printed footage, simply having me dub one speech in four little pieces. Whatever happens, I am in his debt.

June 28: My work at Universal consisted merely of a few off screen lines for Joe Cotten’s benefit, but it was nice to be in on the windup of shooting. At lunch Orson advanced still another idea… a tele-film of DON QUIXOTE, with me as the eccentric Don. What, if anything will come of this, I can’t imagine. Orson’s argument is original and telling however. “All great actors,” he says, “are character actors.”

July 16, New York: I knew it: Just as soon as I committed to Wyler’s film (THE BIG COUNTRY), Orson called in great excitement. I must come down to Mexico, immediately, to star in a tele-film of the second part of DON QUIXOTE, for God’s sake! We are to make it in six shooting days and I’m somehow to get out to the Coast in time to do my fittings for both projects before the end of this week. It’s too tough to bring off; yet I can’t turn it down.

Thank you, Mr. Heston.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

"We are such stuff as dreams are made of, and our little life is rounded with a sleep..."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Calm down OLLIE. I didn’t particularly agree with some of his ‘stands’, but this is not a political forum. This forum is about movies. There are other ‘Forums’ you can visit to debate his politics. However, having said that, I have to say he was willing to take the knocks and ridicule over his ‘views’. I remember his appearance on ‘Saturday Night Live’ a few years ago, he was hilarious.

Looking at Heston’s resumé over at IMDB, it’s actually not that impressive. He made very few ‘Classic’ movies, but like Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas and a few others, he was always ‘Bigger’ than the movies he appeared in.

Despite my disagreement with some of his ‘views’, I liked him as an actor and enjoyed his movies.

Regards
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

You don't think I stated my views calmly? Gee - maybe YOU should take your own first-stated medicine and calm down! ha ha
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Easy, Ollie & Metry_Road.
We can disagree with an actor's politics and still appreciate the individual's work here and if we can't perhaps saying less is more.

Please, let's remember that each of us has a point of view that should be respected, but I wouldn't want this forum to support any form of violence, verbal or any other kind. Thank you for pausing and taking a breath before posting. Perhaps we could acknowledge the man's career, his controversies, and wish his family well now that their long vigil is ended.
Last edited by moira finnie on April 6th, 2008, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Ollie, I'm not very good at taking my own medicine.

I'm a great believer in the old adage "Do as I say, not as I do".

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.

JohnM. I mean 'Classic' in the 'Classic' sense (just to confuse things even more).

Regards
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Charleton Heston, although younger than many of his contemporaries, was hit with Alzheimers much younger than usual, and at a time when we knew a lot less about it than we do now - at that time it was considered 'normal' aged senility. I do respect him for standing up for his views, whether fashionable or not, as in accordance with Johnm's post regarding Victor/Victoria.

I hate guns and everything connected to them, and I totally disagree with his views on them, but his views have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Fabulous characters he gave us. He rarely played a normal man, he played the biggest of the big - Moses, Ben Hur, Michaelangelo, (I forget his name in Khartoum). Even when he played a regular guy, he was big, the plantation owner in both Diamond Head and the Naked Jungle, he took the supporting part in The Big Country because he was correct in thinking it was a better part than Pecks', and he was great as Ruby Gentry's downfall, and OH MAN I would have SO gladly traded places with Anne Baxter during the filming of Three Violent People. I doubt if I've ever missed a movie of his. Charleton Heston was a force unto his own, very unlike anyone else of his generation. I have to admit though, my two favorite roles he did were the circus manager in The Greatest Show on Earth, and Andrew Jackson in The Presidents Lady, (which I believe was the first time I ever saw him).

I will miss him tremendously.

Anne
Last edited by mrsl on April 7th, 2008, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Chuck Heston was in The Far Country?!
Man, all the times I've seen that movie, I can't believe I missed him!
(Not sure I remember Peck in that one, either . . )
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: