Three Came Home

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Three Came Home

Post by mrsl »

I don't know how the schedule changes as the sun travels across the nation, but around here in the Chicago area, in about a half hour, Three Came Home will be starting at 5:00 p.m. If you can't sit down to watch, throw a video or DVD in and copy it.

It stars Claudette Colbert, Sessue Hayakawa, and several other women in Japanese captives camp. Not military, but civilians who didn't get out of town in time, so are being held in these camps. Because she is a noted author and writer of valuable articles, Sessue admires Claudette, and allows her a little more leniency than others so she is in a position to help her co-inmates, but has to go through the acts of enjoying this enemies attention. We are in on a couple of conversations between them and can form our own conclusions. BTW, by that statement, I don't mean sexual attention, he wants someone with a mind to talk to since most of his officers are nobodies.

There are a few 'cover your eyes' scenes, but I'm thinking of the 40's and 50's, so I'm sure we are inurred to those scenes thanks to todays' reality filmmaking.

Try to catch it.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Well, I can't imagine which movie I confused this with, but obviously did. I do seem to recall more discussions with Sessue and Claudette. It was a good movie though.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think it's a very moving picture and it's based on the real account of that woman's experiences. The finale scene on the road always gets me. Sessue is marvelous.

This is the film in which Claudette injured her back, preventing her from taking the role of "Margo" in All About Eve.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

We've been treated to a few Claudette films that I only rarely see, and getting this DVD recently and seeing it on TV makes me wish we'd had more films with her in it - at any age. THREE and WHILE YOU WERE GONE are tremendous pieces for the Claudette-As-Woman character. She had all that cute charm and looks from her 20s, but she also showed eyes that saw a lot more. Top notch performance by her.
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

THREE CAME HOME is apparently a public domain film as there have been many companies that have released lowcost VHS and DVD editions of the film for many years.

It's one of Claudette's best dramatic performances and one of the most underrated films of 1950.
markfp

Post by markfp »

THREE CAME BACK is a terrific movie. It is indeed public domain. I picked a a copy of it at a dollar store sometime ago on the Front Row Entertainment label (I'm pretty sure the company is out of business now) and it was excellant quality, far better than I would expect from a PD company.