Did anyone watch?

mrsl

Did anyone watch?

Post by mrsl »

Did anyone watch two of my all time favorite westerns last night? I'm referring to The Way West and Westward the Women.

The Way West: I loved Robert O's line about at 50, 51,and 53 the three main stars felt they were too old to play romantic leads. In My Humble Opinion, all three (although I'm not crazy about Kirk), were all in better shape, looked more like the romantic types, and exuded male charisma a whole lot better than many of the frou-frous in their 30's now holding forth with romantic leads. Sally Field was a hum-dinger as a would-be bar girl except for the attention of the funky looking farmer boy who wanted to marry her. It was a good example of how justice had to be dealt on the open prairie with no official law around, albeit a little harshly in some cases. The plot was interesting, the scenery gorgeous, and although not the deepest character studies you might want, it's an enjoyable little movie which can be watched by the whole family, or a date night. Chris did a great review of it a couple of months ago in his thread on his recently watched movies.

Westward the Women: The first time I watched this I was totally enthralled with it. When I saw the short about how they camped out for 3 weeks or months to learn all that stuff, I thought 'Wow, how can a director get a cast to do that?' Then I heard about William Wellman. I would have preferred a different male lead, because Robert Taylor, to me, is not my idea of a cowboy. I know he made a lot of them, but he just doesn't come across as tough enough to me.

I love the way the women take charge through every hardship the trip lays on them, and adore Hope Emerson as Patience. I always wondered why I never saw Lonnie Lonergan again because she really stood out in this movie. If she did do other movies, she must have looked different. Also, this is really the only offering I've ever seen of Denise Darcel, so I have no comments on her. Does anyone know why Julie Bishop got special mention? Was she someone special on Broadway? Anyone else like these two movies?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

I've always liked "Westward The Women" for the same reasons. I like Taylor more than you but it's the women who shine.

I took a quick look on imdb.com and Lonergan didn't have much of a career. She only has 7 entries. Julie Bishop had a long career prior to this movie but did most of it under her birth name Jacqueline Wells. Not much after this movie. Denise Darcel wasn't very busy either. She spent more time doing TV.

Good movie though.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Anne I agree about the appeal of the 50 + stars. I have never really gotten into the bias that many have about mature people playing lovers---I would like to think when I reach that age I'll still like men as much as I do now, in my early 30s! So why not feel the same about stars who have so much charisma and the inexpressible charm which experience can bring as it enroaches on territory that was once dominated by youthful good looks alone?

As for 65 year old Harrison Ford playing a vigorously atheletic adventurer, well, that I don't know about... :roll:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

People of a certain younger age may wonder about older folks but having arrived at 50 it's a whole different perspective for me. Yep, I still like women, still find them attractive and I still love my wife.

As someone famous once said "I'm not dead." I may be closer but I'm not there yet.
Chris

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Miss G

Helen Mirren is more appealing to me in her early 60s than when she was 30. The same goes for Brenda Blethyn. Karen Allen looks like she's still a great a leading lady for Harrison in the latest Indianna Jones movie, as she was in Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

Speaking from a male point of few the bearded Sean Connery looked more attractive when in the likes of Entrapment as he was in his Bond era
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Chris!

I agree with what you're saying but I have noticed that more older people seem to have problems with the casting of mature actors and actresses---especially if their costars are younger. At least that's what I've observed. I think some find it "dirty" especially when it's older men and younger women. Personally I just never found younger men as attractive as older ones so I've never gotten that point of view at all. There is often disparaging remarks made about movies such as Audrey Hepburn's where she was invariably cast opposite and older actor but just look at Breakfast at Tiffany's, one of the few times she had a relatively younger leading man (George, no pep, Peppard) and he was one of the worst, ha! Also, I thought there was zero chemistry between her and Anthony Perkins in Green Mansions. She did do well with Peter O'Toole, though, in How to Steal a Million and with Albert Finney in Two for the Road (though I care little for their characters).
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm not sure "dirty" is quite it but I have heard "creepy" more attached. (That may not be much of a difference.)I think a lot boils down it being believable.

While I am clearly in the wrong demographic I find older relationships in movies to be quite interesting. They have different goals.

Take Annette Benning. Her role in "Open Range" is interesting because of her character age and her background. Her approach to love is different because of her experience as opposed to the lack of it. Her interest happens to be someone her own age and they each have reservations along with hope.
Chris