Did Hollywood waste Diana Dors

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Did Hollywood waste Diana Dors

Post by stuart.uk »

before Susan Hayword got acclaim for her role of Barbara Graham in I Want To Live, played a convicted murderer (though her guilt was in doubt) sent to the gas chamber, Diana Dor's had her finest hour as a young woman (based on Ruth Ellis, the last woman hung in the UK in the mid 50s), who shot dead her lover and awaits the death penalty in Yield To The Night.

not long after Diana went to Hollywood and instead of capitalising on YTTN she ended up playing blonde bimbo parts. sometimes thought of as either a British Maryiln or Jayne Mansfield. in the case of Marylin, she wasn't as good, but given better parts, who knows. but to compare her to Jayne Mansfield was an insult to a fine actress.

Diana in the late 60s played a mini-skirted mother to grown up young men, while her man's in jail, in Queenie's Castle. she guested in The Sweeney and showed potential as a great character actress playing Bonnie Langford's mum in Just William. she also featured strongly in Adam Ant's popular Prince Charming video

sadly Diana died young. brilliant British actress Amanda Redman played her in a tv movie
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I think "wasted" is correct, the same way that most older actresses are under-utilized (if EVEN utilized).

It's been interesting to see how Raquel Welch has transitioned from young sex kitten into a current TV show (WELCOME TO THE CAPTAIN) old sex cat. (It's an ensemble comedy, probably to be short-lived.) But at least they're using Raquel somehow, and hopefully she's enjoying that role.
shak88

Post by shak88 »

i just recently saw dors in an episode of the "alfred hitchcock hour" opposite john gavin, and i was HIGHLY IMPRESSED with her performance. her 'american' accent was perfect, playing a nightclub singer she sang 3(!!!) songs in her own voice (some quick research showed she'd released some albums in her heyday) and as an actress she was cool and collected..... there's a flirtation scene she does that is just delicious. she packs a lot into a 1 hour performance.

i've always held barbara nichols in high regard as an actress and now i have to put dors at an equal level..... in a good role these girls delivered.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I Remember Raquel looking as good as she'd ever done in her life when she did the sit-com Spin City. I think she was in her late 50s when she played the mother of a 30 something, who was embarrassed by the wolf whistles work-mates Micheal J Fox and others gave her