Jerry Lewis to be honored with the Jean Hersholt Award

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

Jerry Lewis to be honored with the Jean Hersholt Award

Post by Lzcutter »

Oh lady, Oh lady....

Variety has just announced that Jerry Lewis will be receiving this year's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award at this year's Oscar ceremony:

"According to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the award "is given to an individual in the motion picture industry whose humanitarian efforts have brought credit to the industry."

Lewis began making televised appeals on behalf of the Muscular Dystrophy Assn. in the early 1950s and has been the org's national chairman since 1952."

The Oscars will be held on Feb. 22nd.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I realize that most people don't , but I LOVE Jerry Lewis!!!!!
Here's just one reason why...
from WHO'S MINDING THE STORE?
[youtube][/youtube]
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I saw Jerry Lewis 5 years ago at a motivational seminar held in Kansas City. His movies might make you "squirm" because of the silliness, but he was an intelligent, witty and very moving speaker. He talked about Dean Martin, and how much they loved each other. He spoke about his life, and never ever giving up. By the end of his speech, there weren't too many dry eyes in the house. He had a 5 minute standing ovation.
Bravo, Mr. Lewis!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Good for him. Personally, if I were an actor, this is the one award I would truly cherish.

And I love Jerry Lewis as well. Until I was older, I never really understood or appreciated The Nutty Professor. Now, I can't view it without getting choked up near the ending. It's bound to strike a chord with anyone who's had issues related to their self-image.

-Stephen
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I like Lewis too. Maybe those of use who are old enough to remember him from the beginning have warmer feelings toward him. Certainly he is a difficult, and at times arrogant and undisciplined person, as so many creative people are. His book "Dean and Me" is a very interesting and frank analysis of his relationship with the man Lewis probably loved more than anyone else.

Lewis has made a lot of people very happy, and not just moviegoers. He has worked tirelessly for his chosen cause, and has done a lot of good for a lot of suffering young people and their families. (He refuses to divulge why he picked this particular cause to work for.) When I was a little girl, there was a neighbor family who had a son with MD, and the Muscular Dystrophy Association paid all the expenses relating to the boy's care: doctors, hospitals, physical therapy, equipment, everything. I believe that in the past year or two some major breakthrough in research into the disease was made, and the MDA sponsors most of that research.

Lewis the performer may get on our nerves sometimes, but I think he well deserves this Hersholt Award, and he should have gotten it a lot sooner. Recall that he was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize some years ago. Hollywood is far behind on this one.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Gee, it sure is great—not to mention a surprise—to read all these
wonderful comments about Jerry Lewis!!
Here he is with a terrific moment of pantomime from
THE ERRAND BOY
[youtube][/youtube]
and a scene from my all-time favorite of his films
THE BELLBOY
[youtube][/youtube]
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Another significant Lewis flick is The Ladies Man - not only because of Lewis's performance, but because the art direction is noteworthy (I believe I heard that the sets were copied by Jean-Luc Godard).

Those who can't abide a healthy dose of surrealism now and then might want to stay away, but if you're a more open-minded fan of world cinema, you might want to give it a go even if you're not necessarily a fan of Lewis and his comedy stylings.

-Stephen
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

I just don't know what to think about this man. He's often showed such lack in taste (his questionable quest to make a movie about a clown in a Nazi concentration camp; his offensive and bigoted language, etc.). And though his telethon monologues are difficult to bear, he's certainly done great work for Muscular Dystrophy, It's this work, I imagine, that's bringing him the Jean Hersholt recognition? I wouldn't wish his physical maladies on anyone. As a kid, I loved Cinderfella; but that was about it for his oeuvre.