Room At the Top (1959)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Also, do we think Alice committed suicide or just drove drunk?
Both!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, I loved Signoret's performance in Room at the Top she was so good in the role, I read the novel years ago and the film is very close to the novel. I like the film, in some part because the class system and northern working class life is reminiscient of what Britain was like when my parents were young. It's worth catching again.

Point taken about the age of Simone Signoret's character, that's a woman in her absolute prime, but it was a different society here. I laugh when my Mum tells me that at 23 she was getting a little long in the tooth for getting married, so a woman of 35 in the 1950's was mature.

Moira if you like this movie, you'd love A Kind of Loving I bet you've seen it :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Yeah, as I remember, I think we talked a bit about A Kind of Loving when we rhapsodized a bit about Alan Bates one day? I haven't seen that movie in years though. I'd like to see if my now (hopefully slightly more) adult sensibility might see more in that story.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Otter...what is an SUQ???
otterhere

Post by otterhere »

You know; what Joe and that girl were doing against that wall... Don't make me say it... You know... You're not sitting down... And it's not slow... Do I have to spell it out???
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Moira, I believe we did rhapsodise about Alan Bates a few months ago. He's lovely 8) 8)
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin